Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was riding with a Uni air filter, stock exhaust, and stock jetting and I was getting high 50s to 60 miles per gallon when I was cruising and still hung around the low 50's when I got stuck riding around town or two up a lot. I'm a smaller guy so my mileage may be better than most, but I try to make up for that by shooting off the line a lot!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I get around 60 MPG with my '06 750 spirit. I weigh about 170 and don't push my bike very hard.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I get 30 - 40. But I often only ride 3 miles back and forth from work. Also, I installed a T-bag that I'm sure acts like a sail and I have a heavy throttle hand. When I get out and do some real riding I get closer to 50.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm doing about a 5 mile roundtrip commute each day, with maybe some other close riding. I'm not too hard on the throttle either. With this in mind am I getting less than I should? Do I need to get something cleaned/fixed or does it just not get that many miles?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
That's a tough call. On a motorcycle, your mileage has almost everything to do with your riding style. If I'm out riding with my wife on her 450, and I'm riding my '86 VT700, I'll get about 60MPG. If I'm riding the exact same route with my friends, I'll get around 40 - 45MPG. The air temperature and wind will affect your mileage more than you'd think. My mileage drops way down in the spring and fall when that air temperature is only 25 - 35 degrees out instead of 80 like it is in the summer. The brand of gas that you use (especially if it has ethanol in it) will change your mileage significantly.

I would have a hard time suggesting that your bike has anything wrong with it based solely on it's fuel economy. Pull your plugs, and if they look black and sooty, then you're probably running too rich.

--Justin

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think that the longer your trips are the better your mileage will look, especially if you are in stop and go traffic. Engines are designed to get their best mileage around 60 mph, and they work better when they're heated up too. Cleaning your air filter and checking the spark plugs is a half hour job that may give you a little boost.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Don't forget about rider size. A 200lb rider is going to get less MPG than a 100lb rider. Is there a windshield on the bike? Stop and go traffic? What about the engine health? It may be low on compression or the valves may be out of adjustment? 5 miles is too short a trip to warm the engine up which equals poor MPG.

My motto "don't worry, be happy and ride "

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.