Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just completed my second of three days in this class here in sunny South Florida. Great weather with a breeze blowing. First night was all classroom but I still learned a lot. But today on the range I was amazed at how little I knew. Running around figure eights, ovals, rolling pauses, emergency stops and such was a lot of fun. Just not too easy when you only get into second gear tops and spend a lot of time in first. I learned that it takes a lot of control at low speeds to handle a bike properly. I'm glad I was riding one of thier suzuki 250's instead of my VLX because I think I might have had problems at such slow speeds. It was all good. With practice a lot of things should become second nature. It was a litttle harder as I had been driving my bike for a month and a half already and had some habits that didn't match what they taught. I'm glad I signed up for this. Might even go for the advanced class if I pass :D Looking forward to tomorrows final class.

Steve

· Registered
11 Posts
I just finished the 2nd part of 4 for my class here. I have never been on a bike and was suprised at how hard it was but how much fun also. I was the first to "drop" the bike today but not the only. :) I was sitting still and went to look at the instructor behind me and before I knew it the bike was going down and there was nothing I could do but gently set it on the ground. I was more relaxed after that and had fun. I learned that it is definately easierr to ride in 2nd and 3rd than it is in 1st. Good luck to you tomorrow. Next Wed is my written test then Sat is the driving test. I have to convince myself I can do this and not psyche myself out.

· Registered
640 Posts
I also just finished the MSF BRC last Sunday. Today I brought my 750 Shadow Aero home from my daughters house where its been until I could pass the course and get a license. Even though we were expecting a heavy rain I had to try it out. I can't believe how different the 750 handles compared to the 250s we used in class. I only got in about 30 minutes of practice in the school parking lot but it was a good demonstration of how much I have to learn even though I took alot away from the course.

· Registered
628 Posts
class

Yo, New Riders: Stevehat and sweetilchit,

You both may have learned "that it takes a lot of control at low speeds to handle a bike properly."

Ckeck out ridelikeapro.com. This guy concentrates on low speed tips and techniques. You might want to purchase his Ride Like A Pro IV. It is worth the bucks.

Also, there are great experienced riders on this site that will answer any questions you may have.

Ride safe.

Jim

· Registered
500 Posts
Being able to control the bike at slow speed, first gear, is in the long run going to make you a better motorcyclist. I found, in taking the MSF course, that they will do whatever it takes to help you learn the technique to be a safe driver.

· Registered
1,560 Posts
After you pass your class, you'll find the VLX is a very forgiving bike in parking lot practice. Best advice I ever had was to take it out within a few days of the class to a parking lot while the exercises are still fresh in your mind.

Good luck on tomorrow, and good on ya for taking the class! You're off to a great start!

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finished

:lol:

Well. Completed the class today. There was 30 mile an hour winds, driving rain, but we got done. I'm really glad I did it and it was the best money/time I spent on the bike so far. As many of you have said, I learned the most about managing a bike at slow speeds. Really glad I learned the quick stop. I will be practicing with my VLX. The only negative thing I can find is this......now that I've taken the class and spent about five weeks with my VLX.......I may be wanting something bigger before "too" long.........oh Jesus help me and don't tell the little woman..... :oops:

Steve

· Registered
340 Posts
ALRIGHT - I just got home from my 3rd and final day of the BRT (Oregon MSF). The class was awesome. A little slow to get everyone up to speed, but it really didn't bother me waiting.

I got in trouble twice for scraping the pegs on the little Eliminator but the guy was actually pretty impressed that I got it down there. That was my first time scraping the pegs so I was pretty impressed too!

I can't express how much I learned and how glad I am that I took the class.

Now I just need to get out there and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!!!

Congrats to everyone else that passed today or recently also!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.