Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lookin to replace my exhaust soon on my 96 vt1100c Shadow, and just for the hell of it I removed the mufflers today. Needless to say its way loud,but I kinda like LOUD, and I was surprised how well it seemed to run. No poppin on accel and not too much backfire on decel....hmmm

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
My first thought besides try getting away with it first time you ride by a cop is I would hate to have a chuck of dirt find it's way in there nice and easy.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
I run open/drag pipes and LOVE it! It's amazing how many more cagers see you because they HEAR you first. For the record, I put in about 300 miles on the weekends alone, as well as ride with plenty others who are also mufflerless/baffleless.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I started mine up in the shop once with the mufflers off and WOW. Way too annoying for me and I can imagine what reaction I'd get from others too. That kinda noise gets old real fast.
I agree man. Anybody that does much riding would get annoyed pretty quick from noise like that. haha but most people think the louder the better. That's not the way i roll though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know a few who run open drag pipes and didnt have to re-jet..Know a few that re-jetted right off when they did open drag pipes. Both ways seem fine. Re-jetting over rated maybe?? I really dont know.
Yes, they are a little too loud..just a little. lol My wife dont like loud, so....I like it even more!! Haha

·
Registered
21 Posts
the previous owner drilled through the baffles on my bike, makes it a lil louder, he had it re-jetted, runs great

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I agree man. Anybody that does much riding would get annoyed pretty quick from noise like that. haha but most people think the louder the better. That's not the way i roll though.
How about riding in a pack on an all day trip behind two guys that think the louder the better. AND...they need to be first in line. About 30 of us peeled off... I like loud, but obnoxious is just obnoxious.

·
Registered
515 Posts
My brother's VTX has drag pipes. I kinda like it, don't mind riding behind it either. I thought about swapping mine but just can't justify the expense.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I run without mufflers on mine but I had a hard time getting the bike state inspected. Some said I had to have mufflers and some said I didn't. The one that said I didn't have to have any is the one that I went to!
The one that said no muffler required is the one that is correct, or at least according to this. Missouri state motorcycle laws
Seams kinda funny that you don’t need mirrors or turn signals, but must have a safety inspection. Kinda funny that you must wear a helmet, but not eye protection.

In Kansas, we must have the left mirror. And turn signals if the bike was made after Jan 1, 1973. No mufflers required. The random safety inspection is seldom used.

·
Registered
496 Posts
my vance & hines are VERY loud but with ear buds in while listening to my ipod Not bad at all. The noise is all in the throttle , you don't have to wind it out to shift gears.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I love the sound of loud pipes.

BUT, when you said no mufflers, at first I thought you meant no exhaust at all...just let it flow right out of the head. If thats the case, thats a bad idea... There are some clowns that have youtube videos of bikes without any exhuast. Not especially healthy for your bike and valves though :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts