Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday I hooked up with a coworker who knew where Lutz's Leather was. I could have found it but it was more fun with someone else.

http://www.lutzsleather.com

At 7 AM it was foggy and cold, about 37F and I was wondering about the plan :shock: . By 8AM the fog burned off at home event though the temp stayed the same, if I have sun I can ride. I debated thermals and even Carhartt bibs but the temp picked up a couple degrees quick and it was supposed to hit 70 so I said the heck with it, I can be chilly going to the diner for breakfast. (dumb move)

I left about 8:30 and was chilly but do-able and I figured that it would be warm enough after breakfast. I got about 5 mi south and started into the valley and it was so foggy that I couldnt see squat. I had to stop to wipe the water off and warm up my legs 3 times in 20 miles.

I got to the diner, cold and moist. (Did 2 over hard, sausage (whole hog) and homefries, rye toast and coffee, and things were much better.) Hung out there till about 9, the fog was gone and we hit the road. We got to Lutzs about when they opened.

I had a very good buying experiance there. The fitted the chaps which ended up being a bit more of a PITA than I had guessed and I am so glad that I did not order them online. I went through a 3XL that was to tight to a 4 XL that was baggy to a different 3 XL that didnt make me feel like a sausage. Chaps was what I was after, but I wandered over by the jackets and did a "what the heck" and picked up a leather jacket with removable liner.

Chaps were 120, jacket was 170.

If you are on the fence about chaps, climb off. I never had a set before. What a differance in cutting the wind. Riding just feels different with them on.
A actual MC jacket that is cut for riding makes a big differance in the sleeve length and fitment around the waist. A thumbs up on the jacket, it is nicer than just a leather jacket.

The mustang makes a huge differance. My butt didnt hurt, and I didnt feel like I had a spike between my shoulders. I can think about longer distances that I didnt want to contemplate before.

· Registered
448 Posts
Sounds like you had a fun ride and got to spend money too. An all around good day on the bike. I second that notion about both the chaps and the jacket. I have a leather jacket that was not really a MC jacket. I've since purchase a River Road jacket and it fits great, and movement is much better.

Didn't I tell you would like that Mustang. :D After a while you'll be riding along and you'll realize you never even thought about your butt, you're just enjoying the ride.

· Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hunter58 said:
Didn't I tell you would like that Mustang. :D After a while you'll be riding along and you'll realize you never even thought about your butt, you're just enjoying the ride.
Yep, I am close to 200 mi on the seat ($2.87/mile approx :eek: ) and I'm getting happier with it. With some luck I will ride to the MC expo in Pittsburgh this weekend (Sun). That will give me a good 300 on it.

· Registered
342 Posts
I totally agree. The chaps and M/C jacket make a big difference. Much better than the nylon windbreaker I used in the past. By the way, whch Mustang seat did you go with? I'm still running my stock VT1100 seat and I've discovered that I have about a 40 to 50 mile butt. After that, I'm starting to hurt and I'm trying ride while standing on the pegs. Not easy with forward controls. A friend asked me to do a 120 mile run with him to see the Blue Angles fly in the air show. I had to pass on that one until I an get the seat mod'ed. Which is the best way to go?

· Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the Vintage with backrest for 575. Without the backrest it is cheaper but I am glad I didnt cheap out.
Curiser customizing link

I had the same problem with the Aero seat. It felt like I was balancing on a 2x4 on my tailbone after about 50. I bought the bike to ride, not to wash, so I upgraded to the mustang. I got the backrest because demons from the past have located themselves in my back. With the stocker it was like a spike was being driven between my shoulder blades because I would slouch forward.

My FIL got his seat modded with extra foam and a gel pad in the center by these guys. http://www.buttbuffer.com/ I rode it and it was a lot better than the stocker, cushy in fact :shock: . I think it ran a bit less than 200.[/url]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.