Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Shadow Spirit 750
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all. Just got the new seat for the shadow. And I can't get the bolt holes to line up for the main ones to the frame.
Now on the OEM seat those brackets articulate a little bit. But the ones on the mustang seat are fixed in place.
Is there a trick to it or am I screwed?

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,381 Posts
How far are they off? And which way?

The first things that come to mind,,,check to be sure the socket for the front tang is not obstructed. Could the rubber pads on the bottom of the seat be just a bit long? If so you could shave them.

If you bought it new contact Mustang and see what they say. If used you will probably just need to adjust it to fit.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 Shadow Spirit 750
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The brackets for the seat are about half inch too high above and slightly behind. That's how the OEM one is too but the brackets move a little to adjust it. This one there's no adjustment available.
I checked to make sure the tank was all the way forward. It was.. the mounting brackets are just off on this one. Sucks

·
Registered
2009 Shadow Spirit 750
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update y'all....
By the Grace of God He gave me the wisdom to see what I had to do.
The yoke on my saddle bags was in the way just enough to not let me get it secured.
I pulled the yoke back and boom. Then just tucked it back under best I could. Will have to find another passenger backrest as the pillion is too big for it to fit. Don't think my wife will complain there 😂 when she sees how comfy it is compared to the stock seat.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,100 Posts
Was gonna suggest have someone sit on it and wiggle their behind to get it to fit...

Glad you found the recipe,
Dennis

Looks NICE without the sissy, BUT the wife`ll want it back on, I bet

Is thatta one piece seat?
Or Can you go Solo too?

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,871 Posts
That looks nice and comfy. My stock seat is still more comfortable than any of my other bikes. I used to ride horses and any motorcycle seat is softer than a leather saddle. Enjoy. I do think your wife will want another sissy bar on it. I like the security of the sissy bar on the back of mine. I don't have to worry about the passenger flying off the back.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
@Captain... It's a two piece.
I do need to find a backrest that will fit around the bigger seat for my wife is a must.
Hopefully someone will have a brand suggestion for that
Take a look at the Honda site if they still offer them. I got one back in 2015 when I bought my bike. It had a bit of a gap with the stock padded brick but with the Mustang seat it looks a lot better. I will try to remember to go out and get a pic in just a bit, got to get the Laser running now.

I cannot speak to how comfortable it is cause I don’t ride on the back seat.

Eric

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Well I had a few minutes. Here is some pics of my backrest. I am almost completely sure it is a Honda product. It has been seven years since I bought it. I made the metal insert plate on the back of the pad.

Eric

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,100 Posts
I made the metal insert plate on the back of the pad. UNQUOTE

Looking GOOD Eric >
I also see you made the flag holders & "carry all" for it @PhantomRider64

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
That looks nice and comfy. My stock seat is still more comfortable than any of my other bikes. I used to ride horses and any motorcycle seat is softer than a leather saddle. Enjoy. I do think your wife will want another sissy bar on it. I like the security of the sissy bar on the back of mine. I don't have to worry about the passenger flying off the back.
Have you rode on a Corbin? There's a reason they call the Corbin seats a Saddle,,,

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,100 Posts
And I`m kinda fond of John`s Ultimate...
BUT My Stock seat has its Third cover on it,
Dennis

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Whjat I did on my 750 Ace to make the backrest work with the Mustang: Cut new side plates out of stainless that moved the backrest up 4" and back 2". just bolted them to the existing side plates.

Note: took some serious work to polish them,,,

before

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire

after

Automotive fuel system Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tire

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I made the metal insert plate on the back of the pad. UNQUOTE

Looking GOOD Eric >
I also see you made the flag holders & "carry all" for it @PhantomRider64
It shows huh???

Thanks D

That was before I got on the LASER. They would look better now.

Eric

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Whjat I did on my 750 Ace to make the backrest work with the Mustang: Cut new side plates out of stainless that moved the backrest up 4" and back 2". just bolted them to the existing side plates.

Note: took some serious work to polish them,,,

before

View attachment 302261

after

View attachment 302262
Those brackets look real good.

That is a lot of work and why I have a black bike. Make the part and spray it black,,,good to go.

Eric

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,100 Posts
Eric, I`m sure the parts you make will surpass HONDA requirements and Gross Weight restrictions ;)
That PLUS Made to YOUR Standards and Needs,
Dennis

1 - 20 of 38 Posts