Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,573 Posts
How far are they off? And which way?

The first things that come to mind,,,check to be sure the socket for the front tang is not obstructed. Could the rubber pads on the bottom of the seat be just a bit long? If so you could shave them.

If you bought it new contact Mustang and see what they say. If used you will probably just need to adjust it to fit.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
@Captain... It's a two piece.
I do need to find a backrest that will fit around the bigger seat for my wife is a must.
Hopefully someone will have a brand suggestion for that
Take a look at the Honda site if they still offer them. I got one back in 2015 when I bought my bike. It had a bit of a gap with the stock padded brick but with the Mustang seat it looks a lot better. I will try to remember to go out and get a pic in just a bit, got to get the Laser running now.

I cannot speak to how comfortable it is cause I don’t ride on the back seat.

Eric

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Well I had a few minutes. Here is some pics of my backrest. I am almost completely sure it is a Honda product. It has been seven years since I bought it. I made the metal insert plate on the back of the pad.

Eric

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I made the metal insert plate on the back of the pad. UNQUOTE

Looking GOOD Eric >
I also see you made the flag holders & "carry all" for it @PhantomRider64
It shows huh???

Thanks D

That was before I got on the LASER. They would look better now.

Eric

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Whjat I did on my 750 Ace to make the backrest work with the Mustang: Cut new side plates out of stainless that moved the backrest up 4" and back 2". just bolted them to the existing side plates.

Note: took some serious work to polish them,,,

before

View attachment 302261

after

View attachment 302262
Those brackets look real good.

That is a lot of work and why I have a black bike. Make the part and spray it black,,,good to go.

Eric

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
now I just wish I could get my mitts on one... lol
I'm sure I'll have to go aftermarket. Just hope I find one that will fit with that wider passenger pillion.
I have the stock Honda passenger backrest and had no problems with it interfering with the Mustang seat.

Eric

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Here's the pics as promised:

The pad from the front. The material doesn't have exactly the same texture as the Mustang, but it looks ok anyway. Much more comfortable for her.
View attachment 303420

From the rear. The main reason I added the aluminum is to get the pad higher than the bar without worrying about it self-destructing. The profile of the aluminum plate matches the outside of the bar. The plastic plate that came with it isn't very strong. If you could look through the layers you'd have the vinyl, the plastic plate, the added aluminum, then the padding. It's very strong now.

I think I'll add a small aluminum plate to mount behind and cover the mounting tabs. It'll clean up the appearance considerably. Maybe I'll put some sort of logo or my initials or something on it.
View attachment 303421

Comparison between the two pads. The original pad sat just at the top of the bar. It was ok with the Honda saddle, but far too low after adding the Mustang.
View attachment 303422

So far I'm very happy with it for the investment. One more pic of the bike as a whole with the new pad: View attachment 303423
Looks good.

I made a cover plate for mine, it does clean it up.

This also shows the Honda backrest with the Mustang seat.

Eric

Reactions: stanman13
1 - 7 of 7 Posts