Honda Shadow Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Shadow Spirit 750
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I haven't ridden on one either...but have heard for years of them basically being direct competition with the Mustang brand. The first time I sat on it with it installed... I was like, man I should've done this ages ago. Super comfortable compared to the stock one. And my wife is going to flip (in a good way) when she sees her new pillion part of the seat. (She's out of state visiting family this week so she hasn't seen it yet)

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,342 Posts
You had best send her a picture of it ;)
UNLESS it`sa SURPRIZE,
Dennis

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
484 Posts
I haven't ridden on a Corbin. Looking at that pic of your bike, that seat looks really comfortable.
Corbin takes a different approach from Mustang. I've had a couple on earlier bikes. The Mustang is all cushy padding and wide support. The Corbin will be much firmer, but more sculpted and the leather forms to you. So when you first sit you might wonder how comfortable it will be, but after your first long day in the saddle, you know.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,342 Posts
My Ironhead Sporty hasa Corbin Gunslinger type on it...
I dunno IF I could ride on Corbin all day, like I have my Stock seat...

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
484 Posts
My Ironhead Sporty hasa Corbin Gunslinger type on it...
I dunno IF I could ride on Corbin all day, like I have my Stock seat...
Yeah, I would say the Corbin is like Scotch. Not everyone is going to appreciate it. But for those that do, there's none better.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah, I would say the Corbin is like Scotch. Not everyone is going to appreciate it. But for those that do, there's none better.
You and your wife will love the Mustang seat. As far as the Sissy bar goes, I went with the genuine Honda one and rear rack. No fitment issues at all.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
2009 Shadow Spirit 750
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You had best send her a picture of it ;)
UNLESS it`sa SURPRIZE,
Dennis
Well kinda yes kinda no... she knew I was getting it...but I don't think she realises how much more real-estate she's gonna have to sit on and so much thicker than than the stock one.

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
484 Posts
You and your wife will love the Mustang seat. As far as the Sissy bar goes, I went with the genuine Honda one and rear rack. No fitment issues at all.
Enjoy!
Thanks! I already know that we both love it, is been on a while already. Mine fits with a Cobra backrest and tubular rack. It's a great saddle.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I also have the Mustang seat and the stock Honda sissy bar. The wife absolutely loves the combo.
Wheel Fuel tank Tire Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,318 Posts
For you folks with Mustang seats, their Vintage backrest pad sits up 1" higher and much wider than stock. My wife liked it very much.

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
484 Posts
I have a Cobra backrest that I think is "standard" height. Top of the bar is about 12 inches above the fender. Originally it had a tiny little pad on it, about 3-4 inches tall and no higher than the bar. She never complained, but it was too small. I looked at the Mustang vintage pad, and it's pretty much what I wanted. But they come pretty dear. So I ordered a cheap imitation off eBay, $20.

What I got was a pad more or less the same oval shape as the Mustang. Obviously lower quality vinyl, and I expect overall. Plastic backing plate inside, with two built-in nuts that if I were lucky would line up with the mounting tabs on the bar. Ha! No way. At first I just mounted it with some sheet metal screws into the plastic. Janky, and wouldn't last long like that.

So I took some reject metal from work (3mm aluminum, 2219 heat treated, was scrapped for lost traceability). Cut it to the same shape as the bar. Marked it for the three mounting tabs and drilled a 6mm hole at each tab location and matching holes in the plastic plate. I put a 6mm bolt in each hole and slipped it into the pad, so it sandwiches the plastic plate between itself and the bar. Now I had three 6mm bolts sticking out from the back of the pad, through the mounting tabs. I have it mounted with some regular nuts and washers, but will need to get some prettier acorn nuts to lock it down. At any rate, the pad is now super solid, I can grab it and use it to move the bike around. The top of the pad is now about 4 inches higher than the top of the bar, so it's a good comfortable height for her with the thicker Mustang pillion pad. So I got a nice oval backrest pad that adds height to the bar for two ten-spots and a little creative thinking.

I'll add some pictures tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,555 Posts
now I just wish I could get my mitts on one... lol
I'm sure I'll have to go aftermarket. Just hope I find one that will fit with that wider passenger pillion.
I have the stock Honda passenger backrest and had no problems with it interfering with the Mustang seat.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
484 Posts
Here's the pics as promised:

The pad from the front. The material doesn't have exactly the same texture as the Mustang, but it looks ok anyway. Much more comfortable for her.
Furniture Chair Comfort Audio equipment Automotive design

From the rear. The main reason I added the aluminum is to get the pad higher than the bar without worrying about it self-destructing. The profile of the aluminum plate matches the outside of the bar. The plastic plate that came with it isn't very strong. If you could look through the layers you'd have the vinyl, the plastic plate, the added aluminum, then the padding. It's very strong now.

I think I'll add a small aluminum plate to mount behind and cover the mounting tabs. It'll clean up the appearance considerably. Maybe I'll put some sort of logo or my initials or something on it.
Automotive design Automotive tire Comfort Chair Armrest

Comparison between the two pads. The original pad sat just at the top of the bar. It was ok with the Honda saddle, but far too low after adding the Mustang.
Material property Personal protective equipment Chair Gloss Fashion accessory

So far I'm very happy with it for the investment. One more pic of the bike as a whole with the new pad:
Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,555 Posts
Here's the pics as promised:

The pad from the front. The material doesn't have exactly the same texture as the Mustang, but it looks ok anyway. Much more comfortable for her.
View attachment 303420

From the rear. The main reason I added the aluminum is to get the pad higher than the bar without worrying about it self-destructing. The profile of the aluminum plate matches the outside of the bar. The plastic plate that came with it isn't very strong. If you could look through the layers you'd have the vinyl, the plastic plate, the added aluminum, then the padding. It's very strong now.

I think I'll add a small aluminum plate to mount behind and cover the mounting tabs. It'll clean up the appearance considerably. Maybe I'll put some sort of logo or my initials or something on it.
View attachment 303421

Comparison between the two pads. The original pad sat just at the top of the bar. It was ok with the Honda saddle, but far too low after adding the Mustang.
View attachment 303422

So far I'm very happy with it for the investment. One more pic of the bike as a whole with the new pad: View attachment 303423
Looks good.

I made a cover plate for mine, it does clean it up.

This also shows the Honda backrest with the Mustang seat.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: stanman13
21 - 38 of 38 Posts