Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 97 Shadow VLX 600 and after our 200+ mile ride over the weekend I'd really like to find a Mustang (or similar) touring seat. One of the girls in our little group lucked into one on craigslist for $100 bc it had a little practically invisible scuff on the front from where the original owner had laid the bike down and the tank had rubbed against the front of the seat. Obviously, deals like that don't come along every day, but I'm trying to find out what will fit my Shadow/what other bikes have the same seat mounting so I know what is worth calling about when I see it. If I could afford to order a née one right now I wouldn't have to ask silly questions like this...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I can't answer your questions but I can tell you this. If you decide to go with a new Mustang seat be prepared to wait 3+ weeks. I've been trying to get one for my 93' VLX. I've been on every web site I can find, my local Honda dealer has called everyone he can think to call and talked to Mustang directly. No one seems to have one in stock for our vintage. The estimated times I was given was 3 to 4 weeks directly from Mustang and a little longer from some of the retailers I called.

These guys sell it even for even less than Mustang does directly Mustang One-Piece Seat for VLX Shadow 600 '88-98 -Wide Vintage

If you can't find one used and end up buying one new let me know. Perhaps if we order together 2 seats will get made faster than one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I found my Mustang seat on eBay a few months ago, in like-new condition (although not for $100, I'm sorry to say). Before I bought the Mustang I re-did my original VLX seat (2005) with gel and memory foam inside the seat - looks and feels just like the original, and the seat itself had only 350 miles on it, but the shape just didn't suit me. If you're interested in it, let me know.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would try and find the mustang part # and run search's on it and see if any other bikes show up. I can tell you that the mustang is the cats meow of seats so patience will pay off. Good luck!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would try and find the mustang part # and run search's on it and see if any other bikes show up. I can tell you that the mustang is the cats meow of seats so patience will pay off. Good luck!
Good idea! And my cheeks have already experienced the difference and I could tell within 5 seconds of sitting on that seat that I just HAD to have one...then I found out how much they are and sadly my checkbook cannot experience the paradise that is a Mustang seat

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found my Mustang seat on eBay a few months ago, in like-new condition (although not for $100, I'm sorry to say). Before I bought the Mustang I re-did my original VLX seat (2005) with gel and memory foam inside the seat - looks and feels just like the original, and the seat itself had only 350 miles on it, but the shape just didn't suit me. If you're interested in it, let me know.
I just may be interested...shoot me a PM with the details...might tide me over till the Mustang dream becomes a reality ;-)

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I recently posted about lucking into a used Mustang Wide Tour, $200.00, not a mark on it. It was too good of a deal to pass up, the seller sent it to me with nothing from me but my name and address, said if I wasn't satisfied with it to ship it back. I mounted the seat, gave it a short test, went home and cut the man a check an mailed it the same day. This unique seller, a former member and banned here twice now on another bike forum I visit.

You might check out other forums, I've had to replace lost side tins, the replacements on those came to me via California, a heat shield for my pipes, it came from Virginia, and now my seat from Il.

I don't believe any other shadow seats will be a plug and play type exchange.

Good luck in your search to get better seating.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Tina, you could also contact Alan at Mean City Cycles - Custom Seat Modifications He takes your original seat and talks to you about what hurts, your height and weight and reshapes the seat with memory foam for you for pretty short money compared to buying a Mustang or an Ultimate etc. Check him out, never heard anything but excellent reports on him from every board I belong to.
I agree. Sent my wife's seat in when she had her Sabre and they did a great job. Sending in her seat from her Aero, and one of the seats from my 9 in next week to be redone. Can't beat the pricing either. And the turn around time is quick!! You'll be w/o the seat about a week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.