Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. I’m thinking of upgrading the seat on my 2014 Honda Shadow Spirit 750. The Corbin Young Gun Saddle is $100 more than the Mustang Wide Vintage Seat but it looks way cooler and it’s leather. I’m wondering if the extra $100 is worth it. Does anybody have any experience with either of these seats? Thanks, Gary.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Shadow 750 Aero
395 Posts
I don't have your bike but I have both the Corbin and Mustang for my Aero. I do like the Corbin better but only slightly. I think that you'll be happy with either one (the Mustang is comfortable right out of the box and the Corbin is comfortable after about 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,129 Posts
Reactions: garydh2000

·
Super Moderator
6,512 Posts
I have a Mustang Wide Saddle, wide passenger pillion and their wide passenger backrest. Can't comment on Corbin's 'cause I've never owned one but the Mustang saddles are ridiculously comfortable. I'm sure you'll be better off with either a Corbin or Mustang saddle when compared to the stock saddle. When I first got my 750ACE, I would get a sore butt within 30 to 45 minutes of riding on the stock saddle. With the Mustang, I can pretty much ride all-day without any butt or back fatigue. Also, the Mustang wide passenger seat and backrest add a lot of comfort for your passenger. (when the wife is happy, everyone's happy)
One very minor thing to consider with the Corbins is that leather requires some maintenance. The Mustangs being vinyl don't need any maintenance at all. Wipe with a damp cloth and you're ready to roll..
Good luck,
Phil
ACE5_zpsnz1kueul.jpg
ACE1_zpsetkxoofq.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Mustang Wide Saddle, wide passenger pillion and their wide passenger backrest. Can't comment on Corbin's 'cause I've never owned one but the Mustang saddles are ridiculously comfortable. I'm sure you'll be better off with either a Corbin or Mustang saddle when compared to the stock saddle. When I first got my 750ACE, I would get a sore butt within 30 to 45 minutes of riding on the stock saddle. With the Mustang, I can pretty much ride all-day without any butt or back fatigue. Also, the Mustang wide passenger seat and backrest add a lot of comfort for your passenger. (when the wife is happy, everyone's happy)
One very minor thing to consider with the Corbins is that leather requires some maintenance. The Mustangs being vinyl don't need any maintenance at all. Wipe with a damp cloth and you're ready to roll..
Good luck,
Phil
View attachment 292546 View attachment 292547
Phil,

Thanks for the information. Just curious, does the passenger seat bolt to the rear fender like the stock one does?

Gary

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I ordered the Mustang wide saddle seat from Denni Kirk along with two tires so I guess I am keeping my Shadow. I’ve been seriously thinking of buying the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. I really love that classic motorcycle style.

·
Super Moderator
6,512 Posts
Phil,

Thanks for the information. Just curious, does the passenger seat bolt to the rear fender like the stock one does?

Gary
Yes, you use your factory bolts on the rider and passenger saddles. Perfect fit, no modifications required.
Phil

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure if I like it? What do you guys think? It’s really wide.
C08D38E0-073E-4101-8F57-170E7D513D07.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,397 Posts
I removed the pillion seat from the wide touring on my 750 ACE and thought I might notice it, but I don't.
Might be because I slouch forward, rather than lounge back.
The measure of a good seat is not noticing it while riding and for me the Mustang qualifies.
The only drawback to the fat a** seat width is when you want to get a knee down on the inside of a turn, which on a Shadow is probably never. (-;

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the Mustang seat for my long trips. Did 7k miles in a month round the US last year and it was good on the bum.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I've had half a dozen of each, Corbins and Mustangs over the years. It really all depends on the person as to which is better. I've had the Corbin dual tour on my 03 750 Ace for at least 10 years, And had the 75001 Mustang wide touring on my 01 750 for ten years also, still don't know which one is better... I do use an AirHawk R air cushion on both if I'm going for longer rides. Just put a Corbin on my Versys which I think I'm going to like.

I think the young guns may be uncomfortable, looks like they rounded the rear of the rider's seat more than the old Gunfighter it replaced. Looks like it is going to put more pressure on your tailbone. maybe,,, I had the older Gunfighter and Lady on my 800 Vulcan, I liked it.

The Dual Tour Corbin I had on my 1100 Tourer I got used, it needed the foam replaced, It had started breaking down and the seat was feeling hard like a real horse saddle. Got rid of it. I'm on the 6th seat on it now. Currently a Russel Daylong from a Harley that got shaved off the Harley pan and fitted to the Honda pan.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My first ride of 2021 today and with the new Mustang seat. Did about 40 miles. I kept having the sensation that I needed to be moving back on the seat? Not sure about that. Maybe some break in is required. Clear skies and 48 degrees. A lot of ice still on Lake Arthur here in South Western Pennsylvania.
D2FA260B-226F-41DF-91DE-A2DE70932F10.jpeg
E2EF1651-65B5-4BAD-BB61-53C25536D718.jpeg

·
Registered
2001 VT750 Shadow Spirit
110 Posts
My first ride of 2021 today and with the new Mustang seat. Did about 40 miles. I kept having the sensation that I needed to be moving back on the seat? Not sure about that. Maybe some break in is required. Clear skies and 48 degrees. A lot of ice still on Lake Arthur here in South Western Pennsylvania.
View attachment 292709 View attachment 292710
Looks really nice and fantastic looking bike.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It's been noted the Mustang can set you up and forward a bit, may need to re-adjust the handlebars. I've seen some Spirits with the risers turned 180 and angled forward, Should have paid attention to what seat they had...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts