Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought this bike as a write off, it went down lightly on the right hand side. I got it this past summer and rode it as is and then started tearing it down once the insurance was up on it this winter. Here is the process I have gone through so far! Sorry for the big pics!

When I first got it (notice the big fuel tank)

So much chrome! Nice scenery we have around here though

Wrapped my exhaust and painted the mufflers black. First part of project, kill the chrome. Also note that these are Harley fxt1300 (something like that) mufflers. They squeaked on decel and made the bike oddly high pitched for an 1100

Fast forward to tear down part of the journey. Got a 2 inch lowering kit for the forks as well as new seals! Top one complete bottom one stock

Lowered forks installed, aftermarket headlight loosely mounted, front wheel painted black.

Remember I said big fuel tank? This thing was 2 feet across and like riding a horse. Someone at some point actually paid to have this widened by 4 inches and re-sealed and painted. It didn't add hardly any extra fuel volume since its so thin in the middle! Crazy, took me hours to sand it down cause I was curious

Got a replacement tank off ebay. Notice the slight size difference

Exhaust and panels stripped off. Trying to figure out if I want to hard tail at this point with struts and figuring out where I need to be level.

Got the horns, panels and engine cover painted flat black!

Decided to find some aftermarket rear shocks that were lower than stock to get a level ride height and a soft tail for the miles I put on. Put all the pieces back on for a quick mock up as well.

Got a silencer from cone engineering but sold by the awesome guys at dime city cycles where I got a good chunk of parts. Cut the original pipes in half and need them to go to where the silencer is.

Got some random pieces of piping from the exhaust shop and made everything fit with a custom y-pipe. Looks rough but turned out really well

Wrapped up. Much better! Fired it up and it has a real nice deep tone. Sadly theres two feet of snow on the ground and cant test ride it :(

Got some new mini apes! Took the mirrors off after this, gotta find some that don't look awful. It looks so good without them.

After that I got some new aftermarket signals put on. And paint! Went with a matte white. Scary to work with...

So what I have left now is footpegs to install, wiring and still trying to find mirrors, and then paint the rear wheel black! Oh and we're making a custom 2 person seat pan with a custom pad. Without the seat on it it has such a nice low seating position. I cant put the stock one back on and I want to be able to have a passenger.

Thanks for looking! Ill update when I can

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Nice job! That exhaust looks pretty cool. You don't happen to have a vid or sound bite of it do you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do but the audio my phone picked up doesn't do it any justice. It's really throaty it's an interesting tone. Way meaner sounding than before.

I got some wiring done today too for my signals and headlight

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here's a pic of the wiring. I used this wire to match the bike. It's actually meant for lamps or other lighting and you can get it in all sorts of colours!

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
5,096 Posts
nice ! i like the exhaust too. the seat will be interesting to see.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
That sounds great! I've got a subwoofer hooked up to my computer so the deepness comes through. Sounds a lot like my Pro Pipe which is also a 2 into 1, but yours sounds more tuned if that makes sense.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah we had the tank off so we sprayed gas through the fuel line until it started to run ha. Not sure if the backfire was lack of fuel or if the jetting is a bit angry. Can't wait to ride it and put it under load.

Next is wiring on the left side of the bars and we got sheet metal for the seat pan!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Going to attempt a first crack at the seat this weekend. Got everything taped off and ready to figure out a mould.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,478 Posts
Looks like fun, is that a plug of some kind in the sideway of the front tire?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like fun, is that a plug of some kind in the sideway of the front tire?
Nope no plugs or patches in the tire?

Gave up on making a one piece two-up seat. Ripped the old cover and foam off the stock seat pans. Gonna get those recovered instead of the stock ones that have 3 inches of foam. It was like a booster seat!

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Don't throw away that large tank, they are much sought after by long distance riders, maybe someone on the IBA forum would like it.

Sometimes on a long distance run it is hard to find a gas station open after midnight.

John.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That tank was widened in the middle where it's paper thin it was for looks it only gave me a liter over stock for fuel. The rear shocks are 11 inch but they're too softim going to get some vt750 shocks that are similar size but stiff. I cleaned the carbs and took it for a test ride last weekend it pulls so much harder with that exhaust we built!

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,456 Posts
Lookin' Good now !!!
That sure was some "Fat Boy Gas Tank". I can see why it could be uncomfortable riding around that thing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts