Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so Feb I got a cruiser, cheap bike for the year/ K's, been super reliable and like anything I own I have been tinkering a bit..... Nothing to serious and mostly not to fussed on spending lots of money so most things have been done on a budget.... A couple of must haves I have spent some coin on

(Mostly pictures and I will upload them as I get time)

As I got it.

Saddle bags fitted, screen gone

Tool bag

Progressive shocks arrived... Not toooo expensive and worth every penny as it made a huge difference to the handling even though the factory shocks had only done 17K

Some fog lamps fitted to stand out a little more on the road.... black bike and leathers doesn't seam to stand out enough... Had some pretty close calls

GPS purchased to get me home when I just "end up somewhere" not really knowing where that is

Rear LED indicators to make is easier closing the rear of the saddle bags.... More to come later :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Nice,i sold my saddlebags about a mth. ago and tonight was the first night i wanted to go to the store and get dinner and drinks,had to wait 3 hrs. for my wife to get home in the car.and thumbs up on the shocks.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice,i sold my saddlebags about a mth. ago and tonight was the first night i wanted to go to the store and get dinner and drinks,had to wait 3 hrs. for my wife to get home in the car.and thumbs up on the shocks.

While I like the look of this bike with a single seat and no bags....its just not practical for me, I use the bike to pickup things for work at least once a week and have pillions on often (my kids mostly) .... and have a few 2-3 day rides coming so will need those bags and then some .

I think I neeeed a second bike, single seat, no bags, bigger motor for a play bike :D

Aint going to happen for a while yet so I will keep tinkering with this for now

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I think I neeeed a second bike, single seat, no bags, bigger motor for a play bike :D
thats how it begins.... just need one more for.... soon you wind up like me with 4 bikes and not enough time to ride em all.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats how it begins.... just need one more for.... soon you wind up like me with 4 bikes and not enough time to ride em all.
I have 5 now but this is my biggest.... but most are off road :p

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A few more pics

LED strips fitted under the tank to make it more visible from the side at night

As you can see in his pic the headlight and tail light just don't show much from the side

Another larger spend... but after a couple of longer runs with the wife on the back and her getting uncomfortable and shuffling around... A wider rear seat was in order so A mustang seat was ordered when I found one on special... front and rear and the front is definitely more comfortable

I had also put a sharper bend in the sissy bar and changed the mounting system

Then I noted the plastic grill in front of the radiator was starting to look a bit stuffed at the lower end were stones had been hitting it..... Stainless grill now fitted with the plastic still on behind it

fitting the daytime running lamps

Making the LED front indicator mounts

Lifting the headlamp (extended the bracket up 50mm) and blacking the lower triple clamp as it looked out of place sliver

as it was the weekend before last compared to the start

Will upload more when I get a moment as I have made more changes since then :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I like how you wrapped the whole tank w/the led strip i just have little 4 led pods under mine,doesn`t light it up that well,i do think i`m gonna pick up another saddlebag just to throw over the bike just for times like last night,just one`s that come on and off easily.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
A few more pics

Scott mods 4" forward controls (Pic's are a bit dark)

After reading a thread on here where a my model bike was having the bars fail (cracking around the welds) I decided to fit some risers and new bars :)

I had to mod the daytime running lamp brackets, also made a new bracket for the GPS with an area to fit switches for the day lamps and fog lamps

Holes drilled for the switches and fitted

Also shifted the heated grips control to where the clock was (use the GPS for time)

bars, forward controls and new GPS mounts fitted

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking nice! I love the scope ring mounts! Is that your metal lathe? I'm jealous.
Scope rings worked a treat :D

The Daytime lamps are Burris Signature with the inserts so they can be tweaked for angle a bit to point them in the right direction, I had a faulty set I got with an order and couldn't be bothered sending them back for replacement as I had to pay freight both ways seams I didn't get them locally

This is my old clunker of a lathe

Every panel beating shop needs one :lol:

Been handy for doing cheap rifle builds as well... just has to work on the right side of the slop when cutting barrel threads ;)

I have the new clutch springs and will do the 4 deg timing mod....but might leave it for a bit to do more riding as my average of 1500 clicks on the clock per month has taken a hit

I am modding a tank for it as well so can do that without putting it off the road, Aim is to up the distance I can travel on a tank.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The rises I fitted were cheap ones and I was still not that happy with the amount of flex.... So I removed them.... Taped them together, Put them in a vice vice and used a bar with some sand paper around it just under the size of the handle bars and sanded them until they were sanded even over the hole surface (making sure the stokes were in line)..... and what a difference.

When I first fitted the risers I got longer cap bolts and recut the threads..... SO my cheap and nasty ones faults are a thing of the past

Yes I could have paid more and got decent ones but dollars are tight and figured the cheap ones could be sorted if they were not that great....and now they are rock solid :D

·
Registered
488 Posts
Like the look of the bags. What brand/model are they?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
422 Posts
Nice clean mods...well done and not over-the-top...:!:

I love beating metal into submission, but I sure do wish my Supervisor would let me cut loose in our actual Machine Shop...there is a beauty/beast of a Lather and a ginormous End Mill just sitting there all alone and feeling useless...lol:???:

The fun I could have with aluminum bar stock....mmmmmmm:p

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well putting the 4" forward controls made it more comfortable but the different foot angle meant the heel draged before the pegs so I had been resorting to riding with the heels on the pegs while researching making some floor boards... then found some good adjustable ones on special :D

Chucked them on and went out to join the Thursday night ride....mmm not so flash, back for an adjust at the workshop on our way and much better but took some tools with me, reset at Muddy and not enough clearance to the gear change and no tools to adjust that so set the boards lower.... Then it Scraped a couple of times on the way home without pushing it to hard so back to the work shop and adjusted the brake and gear leaver (Bend the suckers as well as adjust) and lift the boards up and shes mint, yet to scrape them even on the sure scrape corner but I guess they would have been close, Might get rid of the last 5mm of chicken strips yet :D

Like them so much I have ordered the mini version for the rears :p

I need to adjust the bars a little to allow for the different leg position as my hands touch the knees at full lock now, easy to sort :)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can you add some pics of the rears? I'd love to see how that looks. Thanks!
They were fitted Yesterday.... s

for size reference, size 12 boot

1 - 20 of 62 Posts