Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my '85 500 on June 29th.
I only rode it for a few days before I couldn't get it started.
Since then I've torn it down (tough with 26 yr old bolts lol) so that I could get the starter out.
All tests & advice here pointed to the starter & when I tried to jump just the starter I got a spark but nothing else.
I took it apart & it was quite apparent that it was fried... at least that mystery is over, lol.
So now my bike sits with the battery & starter out, seat, both exhausts, power chamber & rear header pipe off & me waiting on parts to arrive.

I ordered another starter, 2 Sportster slip ons (for $20) & a sportster handlebar ($10)
I also ordered an MC sight glass off eBay since fluid is weeping thru mine :!:

I can't wait to see what it comes together like & how it runs :D pics will follow as parts arrive :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You guys with your newer bikes. try 28 yr old bolts :D. Bolt her back together and ride it like you stole it.
hahaha, touche'

I was really amazed that the tiny, rusted exhaust pipe bolts didn't twist off.
Soaking them with PB Blaster for days sure helped! :wink:

I also had to order all new turn signal stalks since the original ones were all broken & black taped back together :roll:
Looks alot better w/out the tape job the PO rigged up

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rubber don't last over 20 years out in the elements. i like my black electrical tape and zip ties holding them up.
Wait, so the electrical tape and zip ties aren't factory equipment?

Mine actually has so many extra washers that don't belong everywhere its ridiculous. I'm not sure why exactly.

You just never know what tool you're going to need to take something apart. The same part might have both flat head and phillips screw heads. Just taking out my battery required a 10mm, a 12mm and a 7/16 socket.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sportsters have 7/8 bars? Didn't know that.
nope, they have 1" but I have a workaround for that :wink:

Starter is back together (the tip on removing the springs really helped!), pipes are back on, coolant is in (engine ice)
changed oil & filter, changed brake site glass - MC cover [SHADOW] , new brake fluid, new front disc pads & a speed bleeder.

waiting on Sportster muff's & handlebar.....
most of the maintenance stuff, choice of oil& filter, troubleshooting & mods came from members here-
Thank you guys & gals :D

Big Blue, I haven't decided yet on the pipes, I may hold onto them for resale of the bike depending on how this mod will come out,
ask me again in October ok (by then I'll have some miles under the new setup & decide)
fresh pics as soon as possible :p

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I'm interested to know how your gona install the bars.

Are you gona replace the top clamp? Or are ya gona drill the top clamp for risers that accept 1'' bars?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm interested to know how your gona install the bars.

Are you gona replace the top clamp? Or are ya gona drill the top clamp for risers that accept 1'' bars?
since the riser is kind of unique in the sense that it has the fuse box integrated my choices will be very limited. I can always revert to stock by buying a used set risers off eBay (there are some there now)
So I can experiment a little with what I have without fear of messing up ultra rare parts.
I plan on finding a way to widen the clamps to 1" by using some kind of drill or grinding bit to enlarge them by 1/8" :idea:

I know, kinda crude but it should be doable- said Murphy to the lawyer

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I plan on finding a way to widen the clamps to 1" by using some kind of drill or grinding bit to enlarge them by 1/8" :idea:

I know, kinda crude but it should be doable- said Murphy to the lawyer

Shouldn't cost much to get a machine shop to bore and line hone them as an assembly.

I'd be worried about the clearance to the hold down bolts from the bar though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did your old starter turn at all? What told you that yours was bad? Mine is really sluggish especially when the engine is warm. I've cleaned all the electrical connections but I frequently have to bump start it. I've only had it a couple weeks.

You pulled your exhaust off but is that necessary if I only need to pull the starter? My 520 page multilingual factory service manual is not user friendly at all. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did your old starter turn at all? What told you that yours was bad? Mine is really sluggish especially when the engine is warm. I've cleaned all the electrical connections but I frequently have to bump start it. I've only had it a couple weeks.

You pulled your exhaust off but is that necessary if I only need to pull the starter? My 520 page multilingual factory service manual is not user friendly at all. Thanks for your help.
No, the starter did not turn at all. After trying the simpler stuff I finally removed it (yes, to make room you do need to remove the rear pipe- As Per the manual too).

If yours is 'sluggish' I'd look 1st at the battery. Take it out, check the water levels (use distilled water only) & then take it to Advanced Auto to have them test it (for free)

Good luck!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I rebuilt the starter, it's back in & works (YAHOO, saved a bunch of dough doing it in my garage!)

I'm torn now, wait a few more days for the Pipes to arrive or take the time to throw the stock pipes & box back on & ride :)
..as soon as I put them on I just know that mr UPS will knock on the door with the new pipes

·
Registered
16 Posts
My battery is brand new - Walmart variety. I think I've checked everything except making sure I have 12V at the starter when I push the start button. Could it be that the brand doesn't have enough cold cranking amps for the motor? If i rebuilt the starter, would I be looking for a corroded bushing? Some contact issues? This bike has been mothballed for three years. This is the only thing marginal with it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any pics of the project bike?
Nope :mad: no time to work on it the 4 horses of the apocalypse have been hounding me :shock:
I live 17 miles north of The Great Dismal Swamp Fire

I have cracks in my driveway from The Earthquake on August 23rd which was 100 miles North West of me

I've spent the last 2 days working & preparing for Hurricane Irene

Good news is that all parts have arrived & work will commence once the eye of Irene :shock: passes by (20 miles from here)

..what's next Zombies?!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.