Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
For about 10 months now I've had missmatched sidecovers on my bike. One is painted body colour and the other is chrome. I would have painted the chrome one but Its not actually mine, I barrowed it from a friend who actually called me today and wants it back. So I decided to make my first attempt at leather work. My idea is to replace the sidecover with a vintage looking leather bag.
I started by making a cardboad template and then cut that template out of aluminum. This will be the backing and mouting support for my bag. Screenshot_20190522-210958_Gallery_1558585069952.jpg Screenshot_20190522-211010_Gallery_1558585090638.jpg
Next I cut some reclaimed leather and made the top opening of the bag out of all-around, wrapping the leather over the all-around and secured it with rivets. Screenshot_20190522-211024_Gallery_1558585280357.jpg
then I pulled the leather around the aluminum plate and rivited it along the back and bottom edges. The a triangular piece of leather was added to the front edge. I used black ribbon to sew it together because thats what I had. Screenshot_20190522-211037_Gallery_1558585501390.jpg
Next I turned attention to the top flap. I used two pieces because the old leather is super thick and it had to do a 90掳bend over the front. Black ribbon came out again and this time was also used the dress the edge. Screenshot_20190522-211047_Gallery_1558585682154.jpg .
Thats it for today, tomorrow I should be able to finish it up and mount it on my bike.

Premium Member
Something to be said for a little ingenuity! For future reference, leather works up a lot better if it's wetted, worked, then allowed to dry.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thats good to know smiley, I've never tried to work with leather before. I used vinyl to recover my seat and hand grips but this leather is like cardboard. There is a bit of a learning curve. The fact that the leather Im using is from very weathered saddle bags frm the '70's probably doesnt do me many favors either.

Registered
Wetted leather "talks to you"...
As it`s getting ready to work, it`ll make "squealing noises" that tell you it`ll act as ypou want it to, too...

Yeah, there`s a lot of knowledge in our HSN Gurus,
D

Registered
Looks decent and it's functional, good work and all that, a good bit of crafting.

The bike is calling out for white or turquoise/blue tuck and roll side covers.
It may be part of that 50's-60's custom rod vibe it has going on that's causing it for me.

Registered
How did you mount it to the bike? With the absence of the plastic 鈥渟tuds鈥 that pop into the rubber grommets in the frame, did you use bolts instead?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I put in carriage bolts though the holes where the plastic studs went though. I tightened them in place before the cover bag and then just slid the bag (which has an aluminum backing plate) over the bolts and used wing nuts to hold it in place. This way I can get to my battery easily by just taking the forward wing nut off and swinging the bag out of the way on the other bolt

Registered
I am so saving this! I've been dying for something like a vintage saddle bag look, and am not a huge fan of the plastic bulbous covers my 02 has. Yes, they are nice and color matched, but they just aren't "cool" enough. Something like this might just fill the bill!!!! Thanks for the great ideas!

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
unfortunately my recent accident damaged my bag a bit so it looks like ive got some repair to do to the stap. Thought about a complete redo because of the scratches in the leather but decided that they add character. Screenshot_20190610-075416_Messages_1560741365632.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
Kris Carr
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing