Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got my engine tore open last night. I pulled it out of the bike several weeks back but have been out of town, sick in classes on the weekends since. For the new guys and the old ones that have no memory left I was having power issues all last summer. Couldn't rock over 85 mph (90) on the speedo. Pulling a trailer I only go 70. Interstate riding at 75-85 mph got me 20-25 mpg for gas. Ran a compression check and got like if I remember right under 100 on the front and just over 100 on the front. My mech. read 110 and 120 if I remember right. I was also at the end of the summer burning a lot of oil.

So my determination was to re-ring and do a valve job. What I found when I opened the thing up made my heart sink. I couldn't find a **** thing wrong with it! Cylinders look awesome. NO ridge. Still can see the cross hatching. Very little carbon or gunk in the chambers. Now I don't know what was wrong. I'm assuming at this point that the rings got hot or I have some leaky valves.

I'm measuring the cylinders, piston, rings and cam tomorrow but I suspect all is ok. Also going to work on the heads this week and re-seat the valves. Ordering parts from the place I order them and that usually takes 2-3 weeks. It's the cheapest I can find them so my wait will begin tomorrow. GRRR.

Here's my list of parts. Anyone want to correct me and let me know what I'm missing? Do I need the gasket kit? Not sure there. I am going to pull the right side cover off as I think my timing gear that many people have is ticking. Also going to put stiffer clutch springs in as well.

13101-mah-000 Ring Set -- 2
06112-mah-000 Gasket Kit B
18291-mm8-880 Crush Seal -- 2
12191-maa-a01 Lower Cylinder Gasket -- 2
12251-MAH-003 Cylinder Head Gasket -- 2
12209-413-003 SEAL, VALVE STEM* -- 6
12312-ME9-750 Cam shaft plug -- 4

Per Mark's request here are some pictures

And Mark before you chastise my garage it's not mine! Haha. It's my buddies and a dump.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
T.C.

Definitely measure pistons, ring end gap, and cylinder bore. Check those numbers against factory specs. Check valve seats,face angle of valve.

Back when you did compression test, did you do it once dry...then again with a little oil in cyl?

Is it possible for cam timing to "jump" ??? IDK.

Guessing and grasping for straws here..... hope we can help.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
T.C. - With the garage it's not ME you have to worry about, but Spiritman! LOL!

And yes, you need the gasket kit.

MHO: I think you'll see improvement with the valve/ring job. I think you are on the right path.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I borrowed some tools today and they sucked. Gonna take them in mon. or tuesday to get measured. From what I can tell though everything is good to go.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ordered everything tonight. Had Napa a couple towns over measure up everything. It was perfect as I suspected. So basically I just ordered the rings and gasket kit A. I decided that gasket kit b was at this point not necessary. Here's hoping to fast delivery. Unfortunately I'll be spending a week in PA and over a weekend the first weekend of March, right about the time my freiken parts show up Then I'm gone another week to arizona the end of march. I have like 1 week to get it goin... Sucks. I guess I can work on my trailer this weekend.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well parts showed up Friday. Was going to start in on it Saturday but my buddies live in homeless man talks a lot when he's drunk and I didn't get the decking screwed down on my trailer very quick.

Sunday I got the valves done on the head. Looked like 1 intake valve had a small leak and the exhaust valves were definatley leaking, which I had suspected. That concluded my first ever valve job. Went pretty easy with a drill really. Used an air grinder and some 3m brushes on the jugs to get the gasket material off and started assembly. Problem was that I was following the manual and using my fingers to compress the rings. My buddy and I could not get the oil rings on.

I borrowed Amazon.com: Powerbuilt 648434 Wrinkle Band Piston Ring Compressor: Home Improvement from a guy at work and last night the jugs went on perfect. Forgot to put the dowel pins in so I had to do the rear jug twice.

Haven't decided if I will go back out tonight and work on it or not. I leave tomorrow for PA and should pack and clean all valuables out of my pickup before it's extended stay at the airport. I should be getting close to the home stretch now. My goal is that when I'm back from PA on the 9th that I can have the engine done or very near completion and start putting it back in the bike. Warmer weather is just around the corner...

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Didn't see any mention of you honing the cylinders. You did hone them, I hope...?

--Justin

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CRAP! I knew I forgot something........

Yea I left that step out in the posting. They are nice and shinny and have a good cross hatching in them.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well just shy of 60k known. There was no speedometer cable when I got it. Bike was beat hard when I got it. Plug wires were hooked up wrong too. It just had no power. I was getting 32 mpg at the most. Once tank I got 36 and that's out of 9500 miles. The bike could go 80 tops sometimes 85. Pulling a trailer it would max at 70. Compression was right around 100 on the rear cylinder and 80 ish on the front. The exhaust valves were really leaky after pulling them apart. I contemplated just doing a valve job but if I had it that far down I figured I'd just do rings too.

I don't care about top speed that much but I don't want the **** thing floored to do 80 or above and pulling 25 mpg on interstate riding, which I do quite often. Speed limit here is 75 and my grandparents are 2.5 hours west. I want extra trottle for "situations" and to be able to pull the trailer better. I don't expect miracles in the trailer dept but 80 max there would be excellent. I could at least keep up. MPG is a good motivation too.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK back from my PA trip. Got the heads on tonight and promptly busted a head bolt. Miss converted ft lbs to inch lbs. **** it. Also got the timing all set and the cams in. So now all I got left is to clean up the head covers and get them bolted on and everything torqued down. Plus that **** bolt. Still hoping to get everything done by Sunday afternoon. Supposed to be in the 50's. Will be a nice day to go cruising to break the new rings in!

Which by the way how should I do that or do I need to worry about it? I've never done this much engine work before so I have no idea of a break in time period.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Yup, don't beat it up too hard, but don't ride at a constant velocity either. If your engine load and piston speed are constant you can develop a heck of a ridge in the cylinders as the hone wears in.

Vary the engine load and RPMs as much as would be reasonable. Pretty much, avoid the highway and you'll be fine. Climbing hills and downshifting occasionally will do the trick, but don't lug the engine excessively.

--Justin

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That sounds like my ride to work when I take the highway. All 55 and lots of hills. I can do some riding around town too. 25 miles to work btw.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts