Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just turned nineteen i work at a call center and i bought my first bike. Oh she's a beauty.

1985 Moto Morini Chasiss with a Honda VLX 600 Engine with Harley Davidson aesthetics and peripherals. I have no clue how the previous owner did it but he did. Stayed in the shop for 8 years the battery had long been gone so we hooked it up to a car to start it at first. Started like new. Not even smoked. I was suspicious at first probably he did something before i went there but no i've had it over a month and it is running as smooth as a baby's butt. Owner said that the engine had at most 6000(3728 Miles) km on it but the speedometer isnt connected to anything so i have no way of seeing it. On that note, does anyone know how to get a rough idea how much mileage a bike has on it?

Oh yes did i mention i bought it for roughly 1500 $?

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Welcome.

Where’s the pics? We need pics.

Sitting on my VTX making Vroom Vroom noises.

Reactions: Kenstone

·
Registered
83 Posts
On that note, does anyone know how to get a rough idea how much mileage a bike has on it?
The wear on the saddle, the pegs, and the grips tells a story, although it won't say much about the service an engine transplanted from another machine has performed.

Engine wear is hard to quantify without opening it up, but a well worn engine will likely have reduced compression and may make some bangs, clatters and clanks that a new or rebuilt engine won't make. One might be able to see wear on the moving parts of the carburetor like the butterfly shaft.

Those VLX engines have a reputation for durability and long service. At 6000 km, it's just broken in.

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
3,144 Posts
Here in America, when someone has a really high mileage bike or car (example of 100,000 km) they will often say it only has 50,000 km. But nobody would say it had 6,000 km.

I imagine it's the same in your country. It probably does in fact have really low miles like he said.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
808 Posts
Welcome!! You are teasing us with that description and no pictures. I really need to see this thing, the description has me drooling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome!! You are teasing us with that description and no pictures. I really need to see this thing, the description has me drooling.
I gave it to my brother for a week cause he needs it at work and i haven't gotten my A2 license yet so im afraid to go inside the city with it cause jail. Not a warning, not a ticket, straight to jail. Thank god i live in a god forsaken place so i can use it around the suburbs and on parking lots for some slowspeed maneuvers(even tho with the extended rake its like counting ass hair with a pair of boxing gloves on).

PS its not really that special but i think its the classiest and the best bike in the world cause its mine. Haven't named her yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The wear on the saddle, the pegs, and the grips tells a story, although it won't say much about the service an engine transplanted from another machine has performed.

Engine wear is hard to quantify without opening it up, but a well worn engine will likely have reduced compression and may make some bangs, clatters and clanks that a new or rebuilt engine won't make. One might be able to see wear on the moving parts of the carburetor like the butterfly shaft.

Those VLX engines have a reputation for durability and long service. At 6000 km, it's just broken in.
Till now it runs great. Only problem is the vibrations. The license plate holder vibrates so much it broke the plastic it was attached to.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Nice bike. Enjoy the ride.

Sitting on my VTX making Vroom Vroom noises.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts