Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought an used 2006 VLX 600 off CL. It is an awesome bike and I had been having so much fun riding around the neighborhood, venturing further as I was getting used to the bike.

Until last Sunday night. I was on a couple of blocks from my house. I came to a stop and the engine stalled. Okay, I can start it again... Except, no electricity. No headlight, no red oil light, no neutral light. What the...

I called my harley-riding friend, who has no clue (since he let the shop take care of his bike). He kindly offered to come over and push the bike back my garage and he did.

After I got back home, I must have read thousand web site about electrical system on motorcycles. I somehow came to the conclusion that my battery was dead. Although my multimeter read 14.3 V, it simply was not able to power anything.

So, I ordered a battery tender from amazon (Amazon.com: Battery Tender (022-0192) Black 12 Volt 0.750 Amp Junior Battery Charger/Maintainer: Automotive) and a AGM battery from BatteryStuff.com. Today, I was able to install the battery and my bike came alive!

Overall, a fun experience.

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,925 Posts
Welcome.....

And now you find out IF there is a charging problem...
Hopefully not, but you can check output with your meter across the battery terminals...
Electrosport has a good diagnostic diagram...
(useful links Tech sticky)

Welcome to the motorcycling world,
Dennis

· Premium Member
11,278 Posts
So, I bought an used 2006 VLX 600 off CL. It is an awesome bike and I had been having so much fun riding around the neighborhood, venturing further as I was getting used to the bike.

Until last Sunday night. I was on a couple of blocks from my house. I came to a stop and the engine stalled. Okay, I can start it again... Except, no electricity. No headlight, no red oil light, no neutral light. What the...

I called my harley-riding friend, who has no clue (since he let the shop take care of his bike). He kindly offered to come over and push the bike back my garage and he did.

After I got back home, I must have read thousand web site about electrical system on motorcycles. I somehow came to the conclusion that my battery was dead. Although my multimeter read 14.3 V, it simply was not able to power anything.

So, I ordered a battery tender from amazon (Amazon.com: Battery Tender (022-0192) Black 12 Volt 0.750 Amp Junior Battery Charger/Maintainer: Automotive) and a AGM battery from BatteryStuff.com. Today, I was able to install the battery and my bike came alive!

Overall, a fun experience.
internet diagnosis, starter switch contacts need cleaning. So if hooking up and charging the battery don't work, I'd say look at the starter switch.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome.....

And now you find out IF there is a charging problem...
Hopefully not, but you can check output with your meter across the battery terminals...
Electrosport has a good diagnostic diagram...
(useful links Tech sticky)

Welcome to the motorcycling world,
Dennis
Yes. I left the new battery hooked up to Tue battery tender overnight.

I am planning to measure the voltage while idling to test the charging system before heading to work this morning. should read around 13.7v, as I understand it.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally got around checking voltage on Tue battery. with engine off, it reads 14 volts. With engine idling 16 v. Is this enough evidence that the charging system is working as expected? I do have a feeling my old multi meter needs some calibration.

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,925 Posts
Aughtta use a digital meter for accuracy on charging systems...
BUT 16 VDC is MUCH too High...
IF I read 16 I would suspect reg/rec problems...
But...
Electrosport? Did you look to see?

· Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Finally got around checking voltage on Tue battery. with engine off, it reads 14 volts. With engine idling 16 v. Is this enough evidence that the charging system is working as expected? I do have a feeling my old multi meter needs some calibration.
Invest in a digital mm, your readings sound too high. If you have a Radio Shack nearby get one from them. You may get a great deal on a nice one for dirt cheap since they're going out of business. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.