Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got off the phone with an old Army buddy of mine from Illinois. After I found out he had a bike (it turned out to be a Suzuki intruder 1500cc) so I had mailed him a few CD's of the pictures I have been taking of my rides here in California . Along with a note that maybe we could each ride half way towards each other for a meeting in Casper, Wyoming. (I nicknamed this guy Casper while we were stationed in Texas). Why Casper? Well, he was like a ghost whenever I started trouble in the bars back then. But when the smoke settled, he was always there to help me.
Anyway, it looks like the, "Killer Tomato" (previous owner nicknamed the wing I just bought) will be on it's way to Wyoming come May or June. That's a 1,000 miles, I figure I will go ahead and do it in 24 hours and get my Iron Butt patch!
I have never attempted a long hard ride like this before, any advice of the best way to achieve this in one piece?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Take a spare butt, and wear astronaut diapers. Maybe get a cup holder and fill it with an energy drink full of caffeine and an extra long straw.

Most importantly, enjoy the trip. Sound like quite the adventure.

cheers

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
ashadowrider said:
I just got off the phone with an old Army buddy of mine from Illinois. After I found out he had a bike (it turned out to be a Suzuki intruder 1500cc) so I had mailed him a few CD's of the pictures I have been taking of my rides here in California . Along with a note that maybe we could each ride half way towards each other for a meeting in Casper, Wyoming. (I nicknamed this guy Casper while we were stationed in Texas). Why Casper? Well, he was like a ghost whenever I started trouble in the bars back then. But when the smoke settled, he was always there to help me.
Anyway, it looks like the, "Killer Tomato" (previous owner nicknamed the wing I just bought) will be on it's way to Wyoming come May or June. That's a 1,000 miles, I figure I will go ahead and do it in 24 hours and get my Iron Butt patch!
I have never attempted a long hard ride like this before, any advice of the best way to achieve this in one piece?
Go over to the Motorcycle Tourer Forum on Delphi, they can give you all the info you want/need for an IBA, these guys are pro's, hell they'll ride that far and more just for lunch http://login.prospero.com/dir-login/index.asp?webtag=MCTourer&lgnDST=http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTourer/messages?msg=22473.13

G

·
0 Posts
WOOOO HOOOOO!!!

Don't ya dare forget the camera. :evil:

Hope to see reports and pics of Ghost, and Killer Tomato. 8)

Hope it's an journey that you'll never forget.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm with Red, Bring a camera.
A way to re-air a tire would be nice as well as a tire plug kit. Don't let a gas station go by. Hydrate yourself and make some friends along the way. Cell phone, flash light, credit card, beef jerky and ride safe.
Glen

·
Registered
943 Posts
This sounds like the beginning of a cheesy movie

" Casper the ghost versus the Killer tomato "

·
Registered
286 Posts
Be sure to check Iron Butt's website for their rules. they are actually pretty strict about what you need to do to complete a ride and get the certification.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Sounds like a plan for a great ride, ashadowrider. I can give you more insight when I get mine done here in a few weeks. The thread that Kingham posted is real helpful as is the IBR site . Your Killer 'mater will make them miles seem short and sweet. I suggest you map your route out with yahoo or google maps. It will give you a good idea on mileage and time.
Don't forget your camera...... has anyone suggest that yet lol...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts