Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently we had a death close to our family that I need to talk about here. No, I should rightly say a death in the family. My prospective son-in-law’s close cousin was killed in a truck-motorcycle accident. He was the rider. Jeremy "Scotsman" Harvey was well-loved by friends, family, and lots of people around him. He was only 42. An all-around good dude.

It was a fairly standard 4-square intersection, both roads five lanes with the center being a left turn lane with a turn light. Jeremy was in the south-facing left turn lane, to go east. In the north-facing turn lane opposite him was a large bus, preparing to turn west. When the left turn light came on, indicating that it was his turn to go, He proceeded into the intersection. Unfortunately at the same time headed straight through northbound was a douchebag in a lifted truck, bobbing and weaving through traffic. The driver came around the bus and blasted through the red light at a high rate of speed, t-boning Jeremy on the bike as he was about halfway through the light. Not only did it throw him off the bike, but the out of control truck then ran over him again as he landed. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

I think the only thing Jeremy could have done differently would be to recognize the poor visibility he had due to the bus blocking his view, and wait to make his turn despite having the light and the right of way. Such a small thing, but many people, perhaps myself included, would have done the same as he did. No amount of protective gear would have mattered. The truck driver was driving badly enough that several people waited around long enough to report to the police the irresponsible way he was driving. There is video of the incident. Hopefully he spends a significant amount of time locked away from society, and then should never be allowed to drive any vehicle larger than a bicycle again.

Riders, please keep your head on a swivel, and think twice before you go through an intersection. Just because you have the right to go does not mean it is safe to do so.

Be well.

Stan

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,624 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss.
To bad people are challenging good sense and safety nowadays even more than before.

·
Registered
'97 Spirit 1100 - Chandler, AZ
513 Posts
Recently we had a death close to our family that I need to talk about here. No, I should rightly say a death in the family. My prospective son-in-law’s close cousin was killed in a truck-motorcycle accident. He was the rider. Jeremy "Scotsman" Harvey was well-loved by friends, family, and lots of people around him. He was only 42. An all-around good dude.

It was a fairly standard 4-square intersection, both roads five lanes with the center being a left turn lane with a turn light. Jeremy was in the south-facing left turn lane, to go east. In the north-facing turn lane opposite him was a large bus, preparing to turn west. When the left turn light came on, indicating that it was his turn to go, He proceeded into the intersection. Unfortunately at the same time headed straight through northbound was a douchebag in a lifted truck, bobbing and weaving through traffic. The driver came around the bus and blasted through the red light at a high rate of speed, t-boning Jeremy on the bike as he was about halfway through the light. Not only did it throw him off the bike, but the out of control truck then ran over him again as he landed. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

I think the only thing Jeremy could have done differently would be to recognize the poor visibility he had due to the bus blocking his view, and wait to make his turn despite having the light and the right of way. Such a small thing, but many people, perhaps myself included, would have done the same as he did. No amount of protective gear would have mattered. The truck driver was driving badly enough that several people waited around long enough to report to the police the irresponsible way he was driving. There is video of the incident. Hopefully he spends a significant amount of time locked away from society, and then should never be allowed to drive any vehicle larger than a bicycle again.

Riders, please keep your head on a swivel, and think twice before you go through an intersection. Just because you have the right to go does not mean it is safe to do so.

Be well.

Stan
My condolences... a senseless loss for your family.
Very tempting to move ahead into that intersection on a green light. I don't blame him, but without a clear view of oncoming traffic, its really a crap-shoot with poor odds.

I refuse to commute on my bike given the poor driving and carnage I see on nearly a daily basis.
Too many distracted, immature, drunk, impaired or just plain reckless people combined with utter lack of a law enforcement presence.

Bad enough commuting in a car or truck, nearly always a death sentence for riders... no thanks. :confused:

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
2,000 Posts
Sorry to hear of our loss. Another one down is never easy to take. LOTS of drivers are driving like the lifted truck driver. Highways, wide city streets and 2 lane blacktop also. I agree with your comment stanman13 lets keep our heads on a swivel.

·
Registered
230 Posts

Be well.

Stan
Sorry for your loss . Time here on earth is limited ... Enjoy , but be safe . Prayers sent ....

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your thoughts. I do appreciate it. As crazyoldman said, at least he was doing what he loved when he died. And as far as we can tell it was quick, so no prolonged suffering. If we can learn from it then it was not for nothing.

·
Registered
2009 Shadow Spirit 750
443 Posts

Be well.

Stan
I lost my best friend in 2015 when he was on his motorcycle. He had the right of way and coming through the intersection on green a car in opposite direction turn lane never saw him and pulled right out in front of him at the last second. The emergency responders said he probably was dead before he hit the ground because the impact was at 50mph.
That was a sad day too.

·
Registered
1996 Honda Shadow VT1100-C2
59 Posts
Stanman, sorry to you hear of this loss to you and your daughter, and your daughter's fiancé. It just goes to show that you never can predict what other drivers will do !

In my town, just yesterday, a law-enforcement officer in a patrol car on his way to work was "driving distracted" looking at his dash mounted computer when he ran right into a motorcyclist --actually a scooter rider-- killing him. It was in the predawn darkness about 5:40 AM on a 2 lane road with a speed limit is normally 45 or 50 miles an hour. The county officer was arrested by the state patrol, and he's being charged with vehicular homicide.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,433 Posts
That’ll be a footnote for their use of the computers, but visibility probably was a little compromised in that case.

Watching YouTube ’horror’ videos, I see that a lot, so I might be able to prepare more. This is one of those ’unavoidable’ collisions on his part. Even in a car or another truck, the collision still would have resulted. You couldn’t reasonably be expected to sit waiting for the bus to complete their turn before proceeding. They probably left time, and there was standing traffic at the light. Reasonable expectation would be that it was safe to proceed.

Likely that ******* doesn’t give a damn about it, driving like that. Hopefully your extended family pushes for the maximum penalties for vehicular homicide, if not manslaughter. Thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,302 Posts
We mourn with you @stanman13
Being a fellow RIDER he is Family to us all,
Dennis & Ann

ABATE of Georgia has a bill in legislation to hopefully increase penalty in cases such as this one...
As it stands right now, "Kill A Biker" it`s $250 & no jail time, in situations similar to this "intersection fatality"...

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,091 Posts
Sad to hear, my prayer's are with everyone involved. I'm always a little hesitant to be the first one through a light change. If possible I always delay a few seconds before going if I'm first. Won't always make a difference to someone not paying attention.

Reactions: NHBS and KiwiRider

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From what I can gather - I'm not in the immediate family discussions and I don't want to press for detailed information right now - the local police are fully on board with pressing maximum charges. Which in Michigan are likely to be either negligent homicide or vehicular manslaughter, both of which carry up to 15 years plus up to $10,000 in fines. Then he will still be susceptible to a civil suit.

Sunday we will be having a memorial ride in Jeremy's honor. This will be my first large group ride in many years, and I hate that it's for this reason. Thank you all for your support.

Stan

·
Registered
2009 Shadow Spirit 750
443 Posts
agreed there Stanman
I read a study years ago...and believe it to be very valid.... It was aimed at those who speed through town/cities like it's their own personal racetrack to get to work or where ever they are most likely late to.... vs. driving normally so as to have reaction time to avoid things like this and other accidents.
The study proved that on average those who sped through town saved on average about 3.5 minutes vs. driving normally and not in a crazy rush. So these people need to ask themselves... is that much extra risk worth it for 3.5 mins?
Not only does this person now have to face possible criminal action and maybe even prison time...but now they've got to live the rest of their lives knowing that their actions directly resulted in an innocent person being killed.

May God comfort you and all of your family in this time brother.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Sunday we will be having a memorial ride in Jeremy's honor. This will be my first large group ride in many years, and I hate that it's for this reason. Thank you all for your support.
Perhaps you can do something more with it.

The New Zealand Ulysses Club's August memorial event started out this way, a few mates getting together a year after a friend had passed to honour him. Then the next year, and the next. It quickly became something that now thousands of us attend each year in honour of not just the man this started for, but the many other friends we've lost over time.

This page gives you some ideas of what the event has become, even though it's from 2008. 2008 is also the last time I was able to attend with my dear friend Fred who passed in 2012. Since then I've gone every year I can in his memory.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
agreed there Stanman
The study proved that on average those who sped through town saved on average about 3.5 minutes vs. driving normally and not in a crazy rush. So these people need to ask themselves... is that much extra risk worth it for 3.5 mins?
Years back I would pick up a friend's son after his work finished and give him a ride home in the time before he could legally drive on his own. I remember a few times pointing out someone at the start of the 20-mile motorway section we used (6 lane then 4 lane road) and bet that person driving aggressively and weaving in and out of lanes would still be visible when we turned off some 30-40 minutes later (evening peak traffic). The first couple of times he lost and paid out, but by the 3rd time he'd gotten wise.

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Had the memorial ride today. The morning looked like it might rain, but by the time we hit sticks up (noon), the sun was coming out and the weather was bright and sunny all day. We had Jeremy's ashes in the lead bike. 50-60 bikes made the ride from the local Harley dealership around town and down a few of the better riding roads in the area, then to one of Jeremy's favorite hangout spots where we had burgers and dogs and etc. It was as good as it could be, all things considered.

I was glad to be a part of it and would never miss it, but it reminded me why I don't really like large group rides. Even when they're for fun rather than mourning, they're not really fun to me.

Once again thank you all for your support. It's helpful to me to have a place to talk about it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts