Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a lot of helpful information on this forum so I thought I would post this in hopes that it might be helpful to someone.

The first time I tried to use a motorcycle lift I put a dent in the oil filter on my 97 Spirit. I learned that using a lift with Honda motorcycles that have engine, oil filter, and other stuff hanging below the frame required some sort of adapter to avoid doing such damage. I tried to find an adapter online that I could use, but didn't find one so I fabricated an adapter from 1/4" x 2" x 2" steel angle that works well with my lift. The lift came from Harbor Freight, on sale for $60.00 when I bought it. The photos below show how it works.

First, I use a wheel chock to hold my Sabre upright while I postion the lift under the bike. The wheel chock also serves to hold the front wheel straight while working on the bike. This is the chock I got off eBay from Hercules Trailers:

Here are photos of the adapter. In order to allow the adapter to be placed on the lift before rolling under the bike, it was necessary to make the forward facing tabs collapsible to clear the stuff hanging below the bike frame. The first photo shows pins inserted that hold the tabs in vertical position; the second photo shows pins removed and the tabs collapsed. I put a piece of rubber hose on each tab to keep from scratching up the frame. Each tab has a "V" groove where it contacts the frame.

Here's how the adapter sits on the lift:

The following photos show the lift and adapter in use:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

If I were to make another adapter I would use aluminum angle rather than steel because the aluminum would be much easier to work with.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Very cool. Nice work and thanks for the warning about the filter and what ever hangs there.

Good pics too.

Cheers

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good idea and nice work I might have to break out the welder this week and fab up something like that.

·
Registered
943 Posts
not ot sound stupid......but since you couldnt find one.......maybe a quick patent, then sell them ?????

you never know, there could be a huge market for that style of adaptor.

oh, if you do get rich, I get 15% as your manager

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Nice work!

I also think that you could have a nice side business selling those adapters.....

·
Registered
590 Posts
destinrider, that is the best adapter that has come along, not as easy as some but far better. You are one smart guy. To make the leading supports fold to get the needed clearance is great. I made blocks of hard wood for my Sears lift, works OK, but bike needs to be on a 2x8 to get jack under. Again, great job. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sdbrit68 said:
not ot sound stupid......but since you couldnt find one.......maybe a quick patent, then sell them ?????

you never know, there could be a huge market for that style of adaptor.

oh, if you do get rich, I get 15% as your manager
Hi sdbrit68,

I've got a better idea: I'll redesign the adapter to make it adjustable for fitting multiple frame tube widths and YOU get the patent, make the parts, and give me 15% :idea:

I retired 8) in 2004 and recently divested myself of my part time Internet business. I don't want to recomplicate things by starting another entreprenueral venture. :D

Of course, if I could get a part time job selling Honda bikes close by a few hours a week I might be interested in that.

If anybody out there lives near the Destin, FL area get in touch and we'll do some rides.
++++

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
navillustoo said:
This is the adapter that I bought from Sam's Club to fit my lift, which also came from Sam's.

http://www.automotive-rewardpath.com/rd_p?p=104136&t=3075&c=482015&gift=23321&a=23321-motorcycle adapter

I checked, but Sam's Club doesn't sell either the lift or the adapter anymore.
Hi navillustoo,

I found that one online and ordered it, but the vendor emailed me to ask what jack I was using - said it wouldn't work with the Sears lift. I sent emailed the measurements and photos back to them and they said that I would need a few more inches clearance to use their adapter with my lift. That's when I decided I could make one myself and save a few bucks in the process. Of course, you could use that adapter with any bike if you just put the front and rear tires on a couple of blocks of wood to get the required clearance.

Thanks for posting the info, someone else may be able to use that adapter with their lift.

·
Registered
423 Posts
destinrider,

The adapter that I purchased from Sam's was marketed by the same manufacturer as my lift, either Larin or Torin, can't remember for sure(CRS!) It works well with the lift, all I have to do to get it under the bike is stand the bike upright with blocks under the side stand. My lift has outriggers that allow the bike to be very stable while in the air. That is what sold me on the lift. None of the others that I considered had the outriggers. BTW, that is a nice job on fabricating your own adapter!

My family used to own a condo in SeaScape, sure do miss Destin! HarryT's has to be my favorite restaurant there! If we ever get back down that way, I'll give you a holler!

Brian

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
lift

Very nice work. Thank's for sharing that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
navillustoo said:
destinrider,

The adapter that I purchased from Sam's was marketed by the same manufacturer as my lift, either Larin or Torin, can't remember for sure(CRS!) It works well with the lift, all I have to do to get it under the bike is stand the bike upright with blocks under the side stand. My lift has outriggers that allow the bike to be very stable while in the air. That is what sold me on the lift. None of the others that I considered had the outriggers. BTW, that is a nice job on fabricating your own adapter!

My family used to own a condo in SeaScape, sure do miss Destin! HarryT's has to be my favorite restaurant there! If we ever get back down that way, I'll give you a holler!

Brian
Hi Brian,

I retired here from the Atlanta area - don't think that I would go back for a million bucks! Both of my sons live in Henry county so I have to mix with the traffic when I visit. It makes me very thankful that I don't have to live there because of a job any longer.

I love living in Destin. I live in an RV resort one block from the beach and Pompano Joe's restaurant. My house is what is called a "park model". It is legally classified as an RV, but is set up like a small mobile home. I added a FL room and it is very comfortable. I own my RV lot and I'm sure you know what property values are doing near the beach (lot has more than tripled in value since I bought it). When I leave this world my sons will have a nice place near the beach or a chunk of money to spend!

Please do stop by if you visit Destin. It would be great to meet and ride with another forum member.

Have a great day!

Jeff
+++

1 - 12 of 12 Posts