Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No so much let me down. But out of 9 bikes on our trip to the Oyster Run. Two ran out of gas before the first gas stop. An 1800R and a 600vlx. The 600 flamed out about 10 miles from the first gas stop. The 1800 at the exit. I stopped with the 600 while another ran ahead for fuel. I played nice until I got into the cafe we stopped at. Then said "You Fn Honda guys are making me look bad". Since I'm normally the only Honda in a sea of HD.

Our buddy with the 117ci Big Dog was broke down before the ride. So my GF offered up her 650VStar. So he got to go. He said he was embarrassed but still had a great time. I told him if he's hung up on the metric thing. He should buy a HD because they all ran fine on the ride.

Did get wet and snowed on going over the North Cascade Hwy 20. But still a beautiful ride.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Oyster Run? Damm!!! I love that run! Beautiful country over there. Glad you got to make it, I couldn't this year... sigh. Sad that folks couldn't manage their resources better, though... what a PITA.

Got any pics? *grin*

LOL, I'm sitting here wearing my '98 Oyster Run T-shirt... miss that stuff big time.

Y'all still stopping at Evelyn's in Clear Lake? My favorite little hole-in-the-wall bar of all time... of course, I lived close by ;)

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
First, ah but it sounds like you had fun anyway!

Sounds like a little on the extreme side of a typical small run, there is usually at least one or two bike issues, a handful of gas or emergency bathroom issues. I think such things are proving grounds for separating people you want to ride with in the future and those you would prefer not to.
On one hand you don't want to be with folks that would leave another stranded, and on the other you don't want to be held back by someone who always seem to have issues. Riding a few shake down runs will help sort that out.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First, ah but it sounds like you had fun anyway!

Sounds like a little on the extreme side of a typical small run, there is usually at least one or two bike issues, a handful of gas or emergency bathroom issues. I think such things are proving grounds for separating people you want to ride with in the future and those you would prefer not to.
On one hand you don't want to be with folks that would leave another stranded, and on the other you don't want to be held back by someone who always seem to have issues. Riding a few shake down runs will help sort that out.
After first stop problems, I just stopped every 100 or so. Plus French, the vlx guy bought a 2g gas can. So he could add if necessary. Will download pics later

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Any group that I ride with will stop every 100 miles for gas. There are very few bikes that can’t go at least 100 mile on a full tank and everyone is asked to fill up at each stop. If this is discussed before the ride (as it should be) then there is no excuse for running out of gas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.