Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am sitting at work on a slow day and bored, so I decided to come up with a concept for my Phantom.. I did some(well quite a bit) Photoshop of my ideas on a true all blacked out Phantom. I tried my best to focus only on the aesthetics so that it can be somewhat DIY on all stock items(except for the headlight fairing). Got 'er done... now thought maybe I could get a discussion going about whether this is a great idea or should i just leave the 'ideas' to the pros. Throw in your ideas too, it would be much appreciated. THANKS!

·
Registered
406 Posts
blacked out bikes are the baddest things out there, go for it! sorta looks like the bikes from Sons of Anarchy.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
blacked out bikes are the baddest things out there, go for it! sorta looks like the bikes from Sons of Anarchy.
Thanks for your words man, I love that show! I originally hated their bikes, but after 3 seasons.. those mini fairing started to grow on me.. until i saw an HD Nightrod parking outside a local shop and I just thought, "that is the perfect look,"(headlight only) as far as the shape and size. The Phantom, IMO I think its a great looking ride as is, but there's that little itch inside my guts that just make me want to black it all out every time I look at it. Its just so close to it already. So why not, right? :)

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
looks like a bad ass mock up -
if ya take a look at suzi Q scoot its purty - all blacked out -
- she beat ya to it and it looks awsome she did a kick ass great job on it -
so if u wanna see it almost to your sketch go check her pix minus the nose cowl
also you should get smoked lens for the blinkers make it more blacked out

her bike is shweeet heres 1 pic of it

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Hey guys, I am sitting at work on a slow day and bored, so I decided to come up with a concept for my Phantom.. I did some(well quite a bit) Photoshop of my ideas on a true all blacked out Phantom. I tried my best to focus only on the aesthetics so that it can be somewhat DIY on all stock items(except for the headlight fairing). Got 'er done... now thought maybe I could get a discussion going about whether this is a great idea or should i just leave the 'ideas' to the pros. Throw in your ideas too, it would be much appreciated. THANKS!
I really like the matte silver on those ... but I like the blacked out look too. It still bothers me that Honda chose to put chrome pipes on it. Should have been either blacked, or matte silver too. It will look good, do it! :D

·
Registered
5,688 Posts

Wow! I'm in love!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really like the matte silver on those ... but I like the blacked out look too. It still bothers me that Honda chose to put chrome pipes on it. Should have been either blacked, or matte silver too. It will look good, do it! :D
I know what you mean, that was the first thing I thought when I saw this bike. The pipes just seems so much like it was just an after thought, because literally it does not match with anything else on the bike. I guess its cheaper to use the leftover Spirit parts...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

That is amazing! Love it! Exactly what I was going for with the addition of the light cowl. Thanks for the post man! I will definitely start this project this weekend and will head down to the local HD shop and order the cowl. Ill get a vid journal going on the process and see how it go.

Thanks for your words everyone.

BTW. If you guys have any ideas that you want to put it on your scoot(paint job, body work, etc.), but dont want to go in head first then let me know, and I can set you up with a mock up like what i did, no charge. :D I'm not advertising for anything, just have lots of fun messing with photoshop.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
painted the pipes

Did the pipes last Sat with Rustoleum Black Engine paint (2000ºF). Its DIY and i had no prior experience, this is just what I thought would do and a couple of web searches.

The process: Washed it. Taped off the tips with some painters tape. Sanded it down with 60 grits-> 200 grits-> washed it again-> painted 1 coat-> 600 grit wet sand any bubbles or scratches, then 2 more coats with about 30 mins in between each. I think it came out pretty nice in my opinion, not bad for a saturday afternoon worth of work(about 4 hrs). Picture didnt do it much justice, but i was doing a little beer photography :p Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
467 Posts
it's an improvement, but for me the pipes were never an issue as i plan on replacing mine, it's that bloody front fork that drives me crazy ..... Why couldn't it come from the factory black...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it's an improvement, but for me the pipes were never an issue as i plan on replacing mine, it's that bloody front fork that drives me crazy ..... Why couldn't it come from the factory black...
Well after a long hard look at my girl, I came down to the conclusion that the matte silver on the fork and other parts gives it a nice accent to the phantom. I guess it made the phantom look different than all the HD and such blacked-out bikes.

My main thing with why I painted the pipes, was because there is just no chrome at all except for the gas cap and couple of bolts.. so to me it just throw everything off. It would be much more consistent, like you said, if they would of factory blacked out everything, or at least gave black or matte silver pipes. Just my pew pew on that matter. Now im super happy with my pipes, the chrome tips does wonder on making it look some what legit.. to me at least. :)

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts

Unless I was gonna carry a passenger, I'd take the strap off my seat. Just cleans it up a little more . . .

(Yeah, I know, I haven't. Yet.)

-john

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Did the pipes last Sat with Rustoleum Black Engine paint (2000ºF). Its DIY and i had no prior experience, this is just what I thought would do and a couple of web searches.

The process: Washed it. Taped off the tips with some painters tape. Sanded it down with 60 grits-> 200 grits-> washed it again-> painted 1 coat-> 600 grit wet sand any bubbles or scratches, then 2 more coats with about 30 mins in between each. I think it came out pretty nice in my opinion, not bad for a saturday afternoon worth of work(about 4 hrs). Picture didnt do it much justice, but i was doing a little beer photography :p Let me know what you think.

Wait till that paint starts a bubblin' and flakin' and the leftover chrome finish starts a-pittin'!;) Enjoy, pard!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a brand new set of Phantom pipes that have been powder-coated and gutted out. Never been on bike since new powdercoat. will sell for cost of powder-coating plus shipping.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.