Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this weekend I took the longest ride I ever have every taken on a motorcycle. I have been riding on the road for years on smaller machines, but it was just this year that I finally upgraded from my VT500 to a VT1100.

I never went on the freeway with the 500 (which can severely limit overall riding distance), because I am pretty big (6'2" 250lbs) and the little 500 just didn't have enough to drag my butt at freeway speeds. But the 1100 is a different story. :D

I rode from the south end of the Salt Lake valley to Evanston Wyoming to visit a friend of mine. I drove back the same day. 200 miles total. All but about 20 of those miles on the freeway. Also, this requires driving over Parley's Way. An infamous stretch of I-80 (in these parts anyway) that goes from Salt Lake City to Park City over the Wasatch mountains. The grade is steep enough that you frequently find big rigs in the slow lane, pulling for all they're worth, but doing less than 30 MPH. The grade on the way back is even steeper.

I have to say, I am pretty excited at how well this ride worked out. Kind of opens the door to better rides and more locations. I would do it again anytime.

Took a while to get all the bugs off my windshield though. Those little buggers are like cement when they dry.

·
Registered
10,252 Posts
Sounds like a great place to ride, not sure I want 200 miles of interstate though. I hope to ride out there one day...
Coop

·
Registered
595 Posts
Congrats... Opens up a whole new motorcycling world when you start to regularly make distance.

Pretty soon you will ride 200 miles just for good pancakes!

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Parleys Way is a great stretch of highway. It always amazed me how I could pass through the congested highways of Salt lake City and all of a sudden be on a beautiful highway like that heading east. Soon you'll be taking your bike to Wendover to lose a few dollars or on to Elko at the National to get some great Basque food! Glad to hear you are enjoying your rides.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It does feel good to do the distance, doesn't it? With a little extra power in reserve, no less..

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a great place to ride, not sure I want 200 miles of interstate though. I hope to ride out there one day...
Coop
Most of the Interstate I rode was through rural areas, so not too bad. It is easy to plot a course through smaller back-roads in this area, but it is often difficult to get over the mountains and really go anywhere without going on the Interstate.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does feel good to do the distance, doesn't it? With a little extra power in reserve, no less..
The extra power is nice :-D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts