Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm new here and have been learning alot reading all your posts. I just got my first bike, 2003 Shadow VLX600 Deluxe. I'm excited to work on it and make it my own. So far I've removed the previous owner's saddlebags, windshield and stickers (eww). I plan on removing the pillon seat and passenger pegs this weekend as well.

My question--it has 5600 miles on it. When does it need new tires? I'm going to take it to the shop to have all the fluids checked but I'm not sure about the tires.

I have MSF class in two weeks and I am really excited. I'll finally be able to ride with my husband and friends and will no longer be a passenger! I've wrenched on my husband's 2004 Suzuki Intruder 800 quite a bit and I'm pretty happy to have my own bike to wrench on and ride.

I'm looking forward to learning alot on this forum, thanks for any insight on my bike you can provide. I'll post pictures this weekend :)

· Registered
241 Posts
I got my '03 VLX a couple of years ago with about 7k on the tires. It really depends on the tread and the condition of the tires. My bike had been ridden pretty hard and the tread was gone on the rear, so like my cars I got a full set of new tires, not just the rear. I HIGHLY recommend Metzlers!!!

Have fun with your bike!

· Registered
340 Posts
Welcome - I've only had my '03 VT600CD for about 1 month, but I've been trolling and reading every day to learn more.

First and formost - always turn to MOM first (they will probably teach you this in the MSF class). The Motorcycle Owners Manual can tell you a lot about your bike, how to service, and what to look for.

Tires - I still have the stock Dunlops on mine (less than 3K miles) but you will hear a lot of debate about how they are not very good tires. Someone - and I can't remember who - added a great post a while back about how the entry line of any tire sucks and Dunlop makes a great after market tire.

I haven't had to shop around for these yet, but look around, talk to the dealer. Metzlers have a great name, but my buddy who has been riding for about 20 years only rides Dunlops.

Good luck!

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! I will definitely check into the Metzlers and the after market Dunlops. I'll look at the tread again and see if it is worn--I just worry because in Arizona it's so hot that your tires can crack and rot easily because of the heat.

I'm glad to see other owners of the 600 here--it doesn't seem like there are a lot. It is a smaller bike I guess, but I really love mine. I went looking for a Clymer manual for it so that I could have something to follow when taking it apart, but they don't seem to make a manual for this particular bike. My husband has one for his Intruder and it came in handy when we were installing new pipes and rejetting the carbs.

· Registered
61 Posts
Glad to hear about your new bike. I wouldn't think you'd need tires quite yet. It kind of depends on how well the last person took of the bike and how they rode it.

What shop are you going to? I would like to recomend one if you don't mind. BikersBay. They have a shop in North Phoenix on Bell Rd and one in Tempe on McKlintock. Tell them Solo sent you.

http://www.mybikersbay.com

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What a coincidence, Biker's Bay on Cave Creek and Bell was where I was thinking about taking it! I pass that location several times a week for work and I live about 2 miles from there. I'm glad to hear they do good work. The plan is to take it to them and get their expert opinion on what maintenance it needs.

The previous owner would load it up in the back of his RV and take it on trips across the country and use it for transport once he got to his destination. He was selling it because it was getting too heavy for him to load himself and he was thinking of buying a scooter. Really nice guy, said he did all the oil changes and whatnot himself though and that's why I'm going to take it in for a once-over.

If you ever want to ride up to the Hideaway let me know. (well, at least in a few months or so, I still need to get comfortable with being on the road)

Thanks again!

· Registered
61 Posts
I'm rather good firends with the founder of BikersBay. We've spent many hours riding and partying together. They are good people and wont steer you wrong in any way. As soon as I get my tins back on the bike we'll have to do that ride. The VLX is a great starter bike. I had one before jumping up to a VTX. The wife still has one and she loves it.

Don't forget- Solo sent you. ;)

· Registered
628 Posts
Bird,

I know your excitement. I purchased a 1999 and was just as excited.

You wrote:

I'm going to take it to the shop to have all the fluids checked but I'm not sure about the tires.

I took mine into the Honda dealership for service. I also asked them to check the condition of the tires. I specifically asked about the tires when I went to pick her up.

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.