Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are some pictures of the bike as promised. I got to spend a little time with the bike yesterday between the rain. I'm loving the power of this bike vs. the VLX. I'm also loving that Mustang seat. Compared to the stock seat on the VLX this bike is like sitting on a couch!

I had hoped I'd buy a bike I'd have to do nothing to after all the money I spent making the VLX mine. That's not the case. The saddle bags don't fit right around the Mustang seat so I'll be getting new bags (probably hard bags). The tank tux / pocket from my VLX doesn't fit so I'm ordering a new one. I'm getting the tank and fenders painted because there are purple graphics (you can't see them in the pictures) that I do not like. I want to add a V&H exhaust. The sock pipes have some discoloration and I like the sound V&H pipes produce. And of course MORE CHROME! I like the black and chrome look and am going to chrome out what I can. I'm also thinking about getting aftermarket rims. My buddy has beautiful chrome rims on his Harley and it really makes the bike pop. I got a call yesterday from the dealership that the mount for my windshield will be in tomorrow so I'll take a ride over and get that mounted. I'm happy that I didn't have to buy a new one. It might not seem like a smart thing to do putting a bunch of money into this bike but I ride a lot and I want it the way I want it.

Here are some pics I took yesterday.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
congrats...im sure this thing does have alot more get up and go compared to the vlx..lol...im really hopin that i can sell this one to buy me a bigger one next yr. the 600 is just to small of a bike for me.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Well done, Mike! Might want to consider getting your current rims either polished or chromed; not sure that there are any "aftermarket" chrome rims out there. I had the front rim of my Tourer polished and it looks dammed-near chrome. For my bike, chromed rim = about $350, polished rim = $125.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well done, Mike! Might want to consider getting your current rims either polished or chromed; not sure that there are any "aftermarket" chrome rims out there. I had the front rim of my Tourer polished and it looks dammed-near chrome. For my bike, chromed rim = about $350, polished rim = $125.
Thanks. I had planned on taking a ride over to a custom bike shop not far from home and asking them about some of the things I want to change on the bike (chrome mostly). I'm also thinking about going all the way with some sort of custom paint job - maybe black with ghost flames or something - and they do that kind of stuff. I'll ask them about the rims. My buddy's Harley has chromed rims that you notice before you even notice the bike. It really looks awesome. I didn't look at sizes but it seems like I could get a nice set of custom rims for about $2k. I'm thinking if I set a budget of $4k to $5k I can really make this the custom cruiser I dream of. Even later when I plunk down the money for a Victory Vision I'd keep this bike if I had that kind of money into it knowing I'd never get it back.

I guess this is what always happens with me. I bought a bike and said "I'm just moving my windshield and bags over and leaving it alone until I get a new bike" then moved to "OK, maybe I'll do a couple of things to it" and am rapidly approaching "set a budget and make it a customer cruiser". Is it no wonder my wife gets frustrated with me?? ;)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
congrats...im sure this thing does have alot more get up and go compared to the vlx..lol...im really hopin that i can sell this one to buy me a bigger one next yr. the 600 is just to small of a bike for me.
Thanks. That's why I moved up. I loved my VLX but it was too small for me. I saw some pictures of myself on the bike a couple of weeks ago and I looked like a total tool! Plus the limited range on a tank of gas was driving me insane. I've beat this topic to death but with the longer distance higher speed highway riding I've been doing I came to the conclusion that I either had to get a new bike or tow a gas station behind me. While I love the power of this new bike I was never really bothered by the much lower power of the VLX. I'm not a street racer. :D The stock seat did bother me but I don't think I realized how much until I rode on the Mustang seat on this new bike. My ass is in love!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
good lookin' bike! i'm glad your happy with it.

BLACK&CHROME!

as for the wheels... chrome looks good... here's a look at mine.

but... mark's wheels on his T look awesome too with the polished approach. can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Mike if you get new rims, you can sure "gift" the old ones to me,,Be good to be tubeless.:wink:

what year is the new to you 1100?
Old Dad, will that give me special consideration on the forum - Like one "Be An A**hole Free" card? :wink:

Sorry Old Dad, I didn't answer the rest of your post. It's a '96.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Thanks, Adam! Gonna get the rear done over the winter!:D
awesome bud! it's gonna be nice to see both of those shiney wheels together on a pretty T! :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
Nice looking bike there Mike,

Those bags look way deeper than mine, what kind are they or what size are they and I like the sissy bar bag. I bought the wally world bag. The main issue is the bag is pretty tall and the clip that attaches right on the back rest of the sissy bar making it uncomfortable for the wife. I also like the placement of the mirrors. I have risers and still feel like I want more height in my mirrors.

enjoy her

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice looking bike there Mike,

Those bags look way deeper than mine, what kind are they or what size are they and I like the sissy bar bag. I bought the wally world bag. The main issue is the bag is pretty tall and the clip that attaches right on the back rest of the sissy bar making it uncomfortable for the wife. I also like the placement of the mirrors. I have risers and still feel like I want more height in my mirrors.

enjoy her
Thanks. The saddle bags are Willie & Max Slant Raptor size medium. I'm going to replace them before long. I do not recommend these bags. They are deep and not very expensive (I think I paid $140) but it's a PIA to keep them the right shape. If you don't close the side velcro straps correctly air gets into them and they take on weird shapes. I'm going to go with either hard bags or regular soft saddle bags.

The sissy bar bag I bought for $25 from a vendor at a bike run. I like it too. I keep gloves, sunglasses, the clear glasses I wear at night and a few other things in that bag. It's much more convenient than digging into the saddle bags. I also have a fork bag where I keep keys, cigarettes, cell phone, etc. My VLX had a tank tux with a pocket but I haven't found one for this bike yet so I keep all of that in the fork bag.

The mirrors I am still undecided. Thanks to the weather I've only put about 50 miles on this bike since I bought it Tuesday night. They are clearly in a much different position then they were on the VLX. It seems like I could see more of what is behind me on the VLX and looking in the mirrors was less awkward - but maybe I just need to get used to them.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Damn that bike is getting blinged out!! I have to ask, why didn't you buy something new or already built? Those are nice bikes, I have one myself but I wouldn't bother putting 5k into it.

I realize this is a pointless question, I spend money on things other people don't get and obviously you should do what you want to your own bike. I'm not trying to be a dick:wink: If I was going to spend $8k ($3k for the bike + 5k in accessories) I would get a Valkyrie. They've got more chrome than you could put on that Shadow plus TONS more power! Of course, I would blackout that chrome v6...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.