Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to relay this sorta funny story to you all.

For over 2 months now I have had the strangest thing happening to my
chrome covers on the left side of the engine . I keep my bike parked at my folks home since I live in a 2nd floor apt with no garage .

Its under a covered patio . Every time I go to get it to ride I kept seeing this oily residue on the left side case and also on the left side chrome rear engine extender . I would clean it , go ride , park it and make sure there wasn't any residue . Then if I went back to it after a few days , there it was , oily residue ! I now starting thinking " what the heck could be leaking on there ?" And then wondering am I picking it up when I ride ?
I usually park it late at night and theres no light so I didn't always recall if it was clean when I last parked it .
So it was driving me nuts trying to figure this one out.

My mom found out what it was . During the early mornings only on sunny days , a ray of light would shine on that chrome. Some birds would fly down to the bike and she saw them pecking and throwing their bodies up against their reflection on the chrome parts . Its oily bird residue . Now I lean a piece of cardboard down there .
lol.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
That is hilarious. Thanks for sharing that with us. I cant think of a story even similar to that one but I will recant it a few times I am sure. Glad to hear you ride is fine.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Sounds like you need to do some Windex commercials!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've caught my dog taking a piss on my tire (ONCE) .. but never heard of a bird talking to its reflection .. lol

Guy
021 Lloydminster

·
Registered
871 Posts
We see the birds fighting their reflection on the truck mirrors. My truck is black and the birds would spend hours fighting with themselves and leaving a nasty mess on the truck door. My wife parks here truck behind our store and the same thing happens there also.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Saint said:
we could say the oily bird gets the chrome :roll: :oops:
Thats Baaaad!

Use a pun, go to prison.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My oiley residue mystery solved
I would never have thought of the birds. . . I thought maybe you either rode with a HD or an HD rider would come up in the middle of the night to blow oil on it so he would have something to dog you about. . .

·
Registered
242 Posts
That story just makes a stronger case for the way my bike usually looks - dirty, grimy, and covered with road residue. (I'm too busy riding to clean it properly :lol: ). Birds will never see their reflection on my bike :wink: .

Actually I wash it about once every three months or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts