Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i parked my bike downtwon on sunday and went into the pub to have some lunch.
a woman in a van backed over it, and knocked it over.
i got the quote today.
a little over 900$
so i got to call her and give her the good news.
the appraisal cost me 100$ that i have to pay him if he doesnt do the work to fix it.
he straight up told me he knows i have the ability to do all the repairs, and i should just collect the $ then replace the parts.

so now i am looking for;
left peg, or matching aftermarket pegs,
black exhaust wrap
mirrors
hand grips
and i need to re-powdercoat a few things that hit pretty hard.

· Registered
9,268 Posts
Oh, man that sucks. Are the tank and fenders okay? Thats crazy that he will charge you $100 for the appraisal. I haven't heard of a place doing that. Of course its been a while since I have had any body work done. I think that most places around here give free estimates. Most of the time you shop around to find the cheapest shop. That pretty much stops you from doing that. Did you sign anything saying you would pay?

· Registered
230 Posts
The ins company probably requires a professional estimate in order to cut a check. Nothing wrong with the shop to charge you for that in my book. 5l1mm can stand to make a little coin and do some upgrades if he plays his cards right.

· Registered
9,268 Posts
I shop around for stuff. I just dont go with the first place that I come too for big ticket goods or services. I would bypass a shop for charging me.

· Premium Member
8,941 Posts
Sorry to hear about that...

?? ..Powdercoating plus repair and replacement of dented and damaged stuff + labor $900.00 ?? .. Seems optimistic for a shop repair.. Can't get much done for $900.00 these days..

It's probably bad for business to charge for a professional estimate, but having done a fair few myself - they can sometimes take hours to put together. I never charged for them, but I sure felt I should have :)

Doesn't an insurance company require multiple estimates? Used to be that way..

In any event.. Hope you get your Scoot fixed and Best of Luck!

· Registered
9,268 Posts
Sorry to hear about that...

?? ..Powdercoating plus repair and replacement of dented and damaged stuff + labor $900.00 ?? .. Seems optimistic for a shop repair.. Can't get much done for $900.00 these days..

It's probably bad for business to charge for a professional estimate, but having done a fair few myself - they can sometimes take hours to put together. I never charged for them, but I sure felt I should have :)

In any event.. Hope you get your Scoot fixed and Best of Luck!
In the contruction industry, you can spend months on an estimate (bid). If you want the job, you gotta be the low bidder. That's just part of it.

· Registered
322 Posts

QUOTE]

Can't speak for all states but in Washington and Oregon only one estimate is needed from a licensed shop, it is illegal for an insurance company to require more than one or to specify the shop. Most however have preferred shops and if you choose one that is not on their list the adjuster is more likely to cut the payout quite a bit.

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,933 Posts
Bummer!!
Extra! exclamation point!!!!
$100 to tell you how much it`ll cost? WOW!
Not a very friendly place to do business, huh?

Oh yeah, you`re in south Florida ;)
On the coast too!! :D

Good luck on collecting on the damages...
Dennis

· Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Play the market and check the dealers that are willing to give you an estimate without a charge or forgive it if they do the work.

· Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the kind words and well wishes guys.
the total came to 935.95 in damages.
the shop charged me 100 if they do the estimate, but dont do the work, it is waived if they do the work.
since my bike is so old, it is actually cheaper for me and him both if i do the work.
as long as geico pays out the full amount, then ill be out of the red for sure.

I have the stock pegs and mirrors off my 98 Ace Tourer that I'm not using. Not sure if they will fit your bike, but if you do some research and find out they will, let me know.
i will keep this in mind. ill have to do the research of course. thank you.

edit, this same guy has given me free advice on how to fix my bike like 3 times already without charging me. he seems legit.

· Banned
5,100 Posts
Thanks for the kind words and well wishes guys.
the total came to 935.95 in damages.
the shop charged me 100 if they do the estimate, but dont do the work, it is waived if they do the work.
since my bike is so old, it is actually cheaper for me and him both if i do the work.
as long as geico pays out the full amount, then ill be out of the red for sure.

i will keep this in mind. ill have to do the research of course. thank you.
51mm,

I want to know if you found the Bike still laying on it's side when you came out of the Pub??? Or did they at least get the bike up before they left.

Asked you this in your original post, maybe you never saw that.

Thanks

· Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
51mm,

I want to know if you found the Bike still laying on it's side when you came out of the Pub??? Or did they at least get the bike up before they left.

Thanks
sorry i didnt see it.
someone set my bike back up before i got out.

· Banned
5,100 Posts
51mm,

Thanks
sorry i didnt see it.
someone set my bike back up before i got out.
At least they set it up straight. That detail would have made a HUGE difference to me.

Good luck with your repairs and hope you get back on the road for the decent weather.

· Registered
5,354 Posts

QUOTE]

Can't speak for all states but in Washington and Oregon only one estimate is needed from a licensed shop, it is illegal for an insurance company to require more than one or to specify the shop. Most however have preferred shops and if you choose one that is not on their list the adjuster is more likely to cut the payout quite a bit.
First charging for quotes.

The quote has to be reasonably professional and accurate and written on official headed paper. The time taken to examine for any damage, which in the case of being hit by a truck can include a bent frame or swing arm, looking at price and availability of parts and working out the labour. This all takes time and work space that could be used on another paying job. The days of free quotes are at best numbered and may even have gone the way of the dodo..

As for the insurance company asking for a second quote, all written quotes should have the words $xx has been charged towards the cost of this quote/estimate. When the insurance company ask for a second quote you simply tell them that you have already been charged for this quote and are they prepared to pay for a second quote.. The insurance company will accept one quote rather than pay extra for another.

John.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.