Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly 6 months ago yesterday I found myself in a ditch with a bent bike and a destroyed left leg. I am happy to report that my recovery is going great. I have regained most of my mobility and have no pain anymore. My limp is hardly noticeable and my pride has almost completely recovered. I remember lieing in that hospital bed wondering what my life would look like if I couldn't walk and how long it would take to resume my normal activities. Thankfully I had a great surgeon and my body heals well. I would have never imagined that they could put 14 inches of titanium inside of my tibia, amazing! Daily exercise and stretching has been a great help as well. Im champing at the bit to ride again and by the time the snow melts the pain of my accident will be just a memory. So for anyone out there who has had a crash just remember, pain is temporary so dont let it stop you from doing something you love.

Registered
this is great to hear Kris. With all your recovery and healing time have you been able to maintain any type of physical fitness?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I did gain a bit of weight at first and lost considerable muscle mass in my left leg. Then about two months into my recovery I tripped and rolled my right ankle which cause some ligament damage. Not being one to let pain stop me, I just continued my regular routine to the best of my abilities. I have a home gym that I work out on everyday and I added yoga to my nightly routine. Now I am back to my pre-accident weight and would say that I am almost as fit as I used to be. Heavy lifting ( truck boxes, steel bush bumpers, transmissions and engine parts) is a little more difficult but that too should pass. By spring I should be stronger than I was before crashing the bike. The one upside is that I know there is no way in hell Im going to break that bone again so soon that will be my "good leg"

Registered
Good to hear !!!
I use ATGATT, but many guys don't.
It may not save from a broken leg but can avoid other damage.
It is so fun to ride, at my old age, I would hate to regret not having some gear on my hide.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the road rash wasn't fun. Took a fair amount of flesh off my left arm, knee and hip but that healed a lot faster than the leg. The scar on the arm itches occasionally but thats about the only reminder that it was damaged

Registered
Glad you are doing well in your recovery.

It doesn't take much speed to mess things up and we are pretty fragile things and older ones worse.
We humans seem to take horizontal velocity in stride.
Most are a little more leery of falling.
For reference if my math is close, a speed of 30 mph is about what you'd get up to in a 30 foot drop.
One is normal, one is a crazy stunt.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Weeeell...... I was going about 90 km/h when I crashed. Also I used to skydive until my wife got pregnant and said I wasnt allowed anymore. Velocity is super fun in just about any direction if you ask me

Registered
Good to hear !!!
I use ATGATT, but many guys don't.
It may not save from a broken leg but can avoid other damage.
It is so fun to ride, at my old age, I would hate to regret not having some gear on my hide.
I agree. You should ride you鈥檙e own ride and not worry about what other adults choose to do or not do.

Don鈥檛 take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Registered
That's great to hear Kris. I'm still recovering from a broken rib due to high-siding the bike at low speed. 2.5 months at this point, but it's minor, and I haven't stopped riding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts