Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was quite the catch. I located via Craigslist a 1982 Honda Magna V45 (750) within a few miles from home. I wasn't necessarily looking for a Magna, but the ad said that until recently she was running but now turns but won't start. The owner stated that he was moving and didn't want to take it and that he would let it go for $400 firm. Well, I had to at least go look at it.

I went to the bank, withdrew $300 and put $250 in my pocket; yeah you see what I'm doing there. Anyway, got to his house and I must say it was pretty decent compared to the bucket of black throw-up I bought early last year - haha. In his add he mentioned he'd consider trade for a few erroneous things which included but weren't limited to a "Glock", and a Macaw (yes, a live parrot). So I brought my RIA 1911 .45 in the case.

So the owner, Joe, and I got to talking. As I'm looking over the bike, a young lady and toddler walk up to the yard and she starts talking to Joe. I didn't think anything of it. But as they left, Joe and I were just continued talking and she came back and says, "Hey, I know you!" - to me. So I look at her and realize it's the cashier at the local ACE Hardware, Sue who I've known for years! Ok, NOW the world gets even smaller ... Turns out, Joe is the step-father of HER boyfriend of 10 years and they rent out the back of the house there! Could it get any lighter in the atmosphere now?

Some conversation later, Joe says, "So, what do you want to do?" I say, "Well, I REALLY want to hear the bike run!" ... Oh, we LAUGHED and we laughed - haha. So I told him that Gander Mountain was going to give me $275 on trade for my Bersa 380 Thunder a couple months ago and offered him that and $50. Ready for this? He says, "Nah, we'll just call it an even trade." Nice, eh? Yeah, well it gets even nicer! I told him I'll have to pick it up tomorrow because I have to either borrow or rent a trailer. So he says, "Where ya live?" I said just a few miles from here. He points at his pick-up and says, "I have ramps." WOW!

Basically, I didn't spend a freakin' dime! A gun I've had for a while, don't carry nor use much for another exciting challenge - YES! Oh, the scoot has a few flaws as it was dropped. A small dent in the tank (yes dammit, another one), cracked speedo housing, dented exhaust and bent foot peg. I wish it wasn't the tank again, but if you remember from the VLX build I had that one fixed for $80 and primed. I'll be seeing that body shop again.

Anyway, here's pics!

This:

For this:

Holy crapazoid that VLX looks tiny, haha:

·
Registered
11,283 Posts
Enjoy your new ride. I had a blue 82. Fast little *******. Be easy on 2nd gear(that's why I don't have it anymore).

·
Registered
208 Posts
Enjoy your ride. I have a similar story. I had a laptop laying around that I never use and made an offer to a guy on Craigslist for his Shadow. The ad did say he was willing to entertain trades. He wanted $2000 for the bike and took the Macbook for an even trade. I threw in a 20" monitor which was laying around as well to be nice.

I got the bike for $0 but needed about $200 worth of parts + sweat to get running.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,724 Posts
So did you trade him the 380 or the .45?

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Old Dad, yeah ... to get it running! :mrgreen:

To clarify regarding the trade: The picture IS of the RIA .45 I traded for the bike. Gander offered $275 when I bought my Bersa 380, but I ended up keeping the RIA as well.

So ... .45 for the bike. Capisce? :cool:

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Enjoy your new ride. I had a blue 82. Fast little *******.
Me, too, except it was maroon like the OP's. And yes, it was fast.
Be easy on 2nd gear(that's why I don't have it anymore).
And, yes, it tended to pop out of second when goosed hard.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So it had a bad fuel cut off relay. I ordered another from an online salvage yard and received it. I bench tested it and it was worse than the original one. :( The old one had a voltage output of .16; the new one .04. I don't know what the output should be, but neither of those are pumping enough power to the main relay. How do I know this? Okay, there are four wires to the fuel cut off relay. I put +12V to black and ground (-) to green; then connected the blue to ground (-) and it turned the relay on (if that's what you want to call it, haha). Anyway, this then shows continuity to ground on the red/white. If you Now, going one step further and bypassing the fuel cut off relay --- I pulled the main relay and jumped the red wire to the black/blue wire. Because this is a constant source of power, with the battery connected it should start the fuel pump. Yes ... yes it did. The fuel pump cycled until it pressurized and then shut itself off. I am thinking at this point, I may just put a toggle switch in place of the fuel cut off relay and flip it on right before starting the engine. I can't see spending any more money than needed at this point. I don't know, still thinking about this one.

I also got to working on the carbs this weekend. Got them out, apart, cleaned and organized. Upon inspection, it looks as if these were either rebuilt or just in extraordinary condition. All four vacuum diaphragms are perfect with no holes/tears. All needles are sharp and straight. A couple of the jets were a little gunky, but not too much varnishing. I did find one jet had two side holes blocked. But that's all. Had to drain the coolant, and it's absolutely clean. That's good! And that's all for right now. Pics ...

Coolant:

Carbs separated from plenum:

Vacuum diaphragm:

Needle:

Apart, cleaned and ready for reassembly:

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
If you do anything like the last 2 I'll be looking forward to see the end results. Wish I had your mechanical skills and knowledge.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you do anything like the last 2 I'll be looking forward to see the end results. Wish I had your mechanical skills and knowledge.
Thanks! Don't hold your breath on me doing much to this one. I've said it before that I may just flip this one. Got that CB900 coming soon, so I'll "evaluate" soon. :cool:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts