Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is kinda weird.

I sit on my bike, turn the key on, put it in neutral, pull in the clutch lever, put the kill switch to the on position, and press the starter button. Nine times out of ten it will fire right up immediately. But occasionally it does not. If I press the starter button again, or flip the kill switch off and back on and then press the starter button, it will start up. My bike has a brand new battery and all lights are nice and bright

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is there a solution, or do I just live with this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I had that problem on mine and it would do the same thing occasionally, did the cleaning routine and then one day on a ride it did it and this time could not make it work, so had a tow to my shop expert and ended up replacing the whole unit, you can not replace just one part, I did have over 44,000 miles when it went out, so overall I think I did good...........

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
About 42,000 miles, shortly after I bought it in 2007, I cleaned and lubed my starter button switch innerds and ain`t had NO MORE trouble out of it :D

When I bought it, there was a starter button (aftermarket "rig up") inside the saddle bag,... SO one of the previous owners musta had a problem with it too???

I got 111,000 + miles on it now, still running strong!!!!
:D

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
You could also have a dirty kill switch..I leave my kill switch in the run position all the time..

Another possibility is one of the battery leads has come loose.

John.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
As far as the start-button, you're looking for the condition of the copper nubbies. Heat causes the nubbies to sink into the nylon substrate. Some people just pry up the nubbies and the start-button works. Don't know too much about the kill switch since I never use it. Whatever the case, spray them down with contact cleaner and lube with dielectric grease.

*Here's how you get to the copper nubbies ....

Btw, I charge $50 flat rate to clean the switch for riders who aren't mechanically inclined. If the switch turns out to be beyond repair of course there's no charge.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mine did the same last summer. I took the switch apart, pried the contacts up, cleaned/lubed, and re-assembled the switch. I've not had any problems since. It's an easy fix, just small parts.

Ride Safely!
John.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
As far as the start-button, you're looking for the condition of the copper nubbies. Heat causes the nubbies to sink into the nylon substrate. Some people just pry up the nubbies and the start-button works. Don't know too much about the kill switch since I never use it. Whatever the case, spray them down with contact cleaner and lube with dielectric grease.

*Here's how you get to the copper nubbies ....

Btw, I charge $50 flat rate to clean the switch for riders who aren't mechanically inclined. If the switch turns out to be beyond repair of course there's no charge.
This is bang on,,I did the above but there was too much damage and I was able to buy 2nd hand a push button only from a member here. Bike fires up every time. (knock on wood)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Mine did the same, even after I cleaned the starter swith. Started off an occasional thing such as you describe, became more common over time. Ended up having to change out the ignition switch. Easy job, never had a problem since.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
There are a bunch of bobber build threads going on, maybe one of the members is cleaning up the handle bars and doing away with that assembly and can cannibalize a push button for you, that's what I was lucky in accomplishing my fix rather than buying a whole new assemble and having to route wiring etc. Send some of them a pm asking. Can't hurt.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wait, it only fails every tenth try, and even then a toggle of the kill switch resolves it? Call it a character trait and live with it. :)

This costs you an extra few seconds once a week, so you could probably ride it like it is for 100 years and its still not worth the time it'd take to fix.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
I use electrical joint compound for lube, rather than die-electric grease...
This EJC continues to clean the contacts as the switch is used...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts