Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out riding the other day with the OL and got into the conversation of whether or not she would ever want her own "ride" so she can stop riding double.

Her response. . . "I would ride my own if I could have one of those Can-Am Spyders" :shock: :shock:

I was floored, and really don't know what to think. Anyone here have any experience with these odd animals, or even taken one for a test drive? She must have seen one on T.V. or something. I had no idea she even knew they existed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's basically a snowmobile with wheels... can-am (bombardier) is a leader in snowmobiles. They're nice for the crowd they appeal to. But certainly not cheap!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's basically a snowmobile with wheels... can-am (bombardier) is a leader in snowmobiles. They're nice for the crowd they appeal to. But certainly not cheap!
NO, they are not cheap. MSRP runs from $17K to $30K depending on model and features. Dang! I think the OL better get comfortable riding double.

·
Registered
274 Posts
NO, they are not. MSRP runs from $17K to $30K depending on model and features. Dang! I think the OL better get comfortable riding double.
A VLX and MSF course would be much cheaper! Think she could handle a bike to herself?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the OL saw the Spyder on tv, they've been promoting these things like crazy this year. I don't recall precisely what they say in one of the commercials but, they make it seems as though riding one of these is on par with a real motorcycle and, show people doing the low side wave to bikers. Perhaps it's just me but, it bugs me. To each their own I suppose.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
My neighbor got one for his OL. Several weeks ago she was on I5 in the rain and flipped it. She lucked out and it didn't land on her and she was not severely hurt, but the bike has lots of damage. She said that it started to drift and she couldn't hold it in the lane and that's all she remembers. They are getting it fixed, but she plans to avoid riding in the rain (not easy in the Pacific Northwest).

One thought; a bike can choose a lane within the lane, left center or right. With the roads arround here, the tire treads form a rut and the center is raised. With the Can Am, you are always in and out of the ruts all the time.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A VLX and MSF course would be much cheaper! Think she could handle a bike to herself?
She claims that the whole "leaning" thing bugs her. She has ridden dirt bikes, 4-wheelers, and snowmobiles before. Never ridden her own street bike before though. She has no problem riding with me, but those trips up the canyon kind of wig her out a little.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't be surprised if the OL saw the Spyder on tv, they've been promoting these things like crazy this year. I don't recall precisely what they say in one of the commercials but, they make it seems as though riding one of these is on par with a real motorcycle and, show people doing the low side wave to bikers. Perhaps it's just me but, it bugs me. To each their own I suppose.
It kind of bugs me too. Double A-arm suspension WITH anti-sway bars? That is not a bike.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My neighbor got one for his OL. Several weeks ago she was on I5 in the rain and flipped it. She lucked out and it didn't land on her and she was not severely hurt, but the bike has lots of damage. She said that it started to drift and she couldn't hold it in the lane and that's all she remembers. They are getting it fixed, but she plans to avoid riding in the rain (not easy in the Pacific Northwest).

One thought; a bike can choose a lane within the lane, left center or right. With the roads arround here, the tire treads form a rut and the center is raised. With the Can Am, you are always in and out of the ruts all the time.
That is good info - thanks for bringing that up. Staying in the ruts all the time would be an issue for the OL, I think.

Not that I am trying to discourage anything here, I just want to get as much information as possible from real people. Can't get that from Can-Am.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
She's probably seen a few in person around Utah. I don't see them every day, but I do see them every once in a while, maybe three or four times a year. They look cool and I would ride one once to see what it was like, but I don't think I'd buy one.

Ask her what she thinks about the Piaggio MP3s:

Piaggio Scooters :: Home

A guy at work has the 500cc version and loves it. You do lean with these though, so maybe that's not her cup of tea.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
From what I remember about the canam researching I did, I beleave they also lean with the cornering, probably not to the extent a bike would but leaning none the less.

Dauntae

·
Registered
135 Posts
I took one for a spin the other day as the dealer had a demo day on. Lemme tell you, that thing was so much fun! I don't like sport bikes, but that is as close as I'll get to one. EVerything was great on that. The speed, handling, and comfort! My wife wants to get her lisence in a couple of years, and I will get one of those no doubt. Up here in Canada you can take your road test on one.

Again, I hate sport bikes, and have always been "cruiser", but just go take one for a spin!

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
I met an older lady, like 70+ at bike nite last fall, she had ridden that thing from South Carolina to Seattle two times last year! They are cool looking, but...about like riding a Miata in my book, and Miatas are probably cheaper too!
I would probably get a Spyder over a traditional trike, at least you can lean and not as much worry of a tip over in a curve.
Coop

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Can Am just patented a different leaning geometry compared to the Piaggio but it is not out yet. Current models do not lean and, while more stable than a classic trike, they are still prone to tire lift.

They have a basic and touring version now. Ran into the guy test driving one with prototype Cortech bags which I think ended up on the T version. Mega pricey sheeot man.

The Rotax motors are excellent and very potent. If you like sport bike riding position, good, cuz that is how you sit. I think they are cool but wouldn't own one.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
They are an abomination and are dammed! Keep Ye Away From the Accursed thing!

·
Registered
662 Posts
They MOVE ... Period.

My view on this has always been - if you are going to be on three wheels - just go ahead and pay for four and get a Volkswagen.

I have been on one Spyder. Just didn't care for it. Of course you might be able to get used to the machine being out on both sides of you. I didn't like the way the steering felt. More like a light herding than steering the machine.

My wife rides her own Spirit 750. She was trepidatious at first but adjusted and loves the bike - two wheeled version. The MSF course made all the difference in her outlook about two wheels.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I parked next to a couple on one and asked them how they liked it. The guy said they used to ride a larger cruiser. The only negative he noted was he didn’t like the way it took corners but other than that, he said it was a lot of fun.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Excellent info guys, I think I might go test drive one. I actually have 2 Bombardier DS650 quads that I run at the dunes quite often (I bought them before the Can-Am name change). They are very reliable and lots of fun.

Anyhow, I am starting to think that a Shadow 750 would be a good choice for the OL. Perhaps a that and a riding course would make the difference for her.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Careful the bug doesn't seriously bite her! My wife started riding with me on her own Harley Sportster years ago. Now she's settled in with her own 750 Yamaha cruiser.
We've started a whole new thing, and it's pretty great.

And yeah, the MSF course and a little patience on your part can really contribute to your marriage. It's a blast--literally.:wink:

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
"Real" bikes? (and bikers)

It kind of bugs me too. Double A-arm suspension WITH anti-sway bars? That is not a bike.
I had a buddy once who lost the use of his legs in Vietnam. Couldn't even get to a bike without a wheelchair. Built himself a Harley trike. Rides all over the country. Needs special suspension, special controls.

Ever since, I've kinda figured that if it's got less than 4 wheels and needs handlebars it's a real bike, and you're a real biker. I don't care what your story is, you're riding and I'll give you that much respect.

I do have to admit, however, that I just can't bring myself to wave at someone in loafers and shorts riding a scooter with a basket. I have my limits . . .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts