Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode for a good 2 hours yesterday in the hot Texas sun and parked my bike in the usual spot. When I went back to my bike an hour later, I noticed a small puddle of coolant below the bike. I was frantically searching for a half an hour where the leak was coming from but I couldn't find it. Then I noticed that there was some dripping coming from the bottom corner of the reservoir tank. I tried tracing the leak upwards, but I couldn't find anything.

I checked all the hoses and their fittings, but they were all dry. I wanted to take that plastic radiator cover off but I could only manage the top bolt. How do you get that off? I can't for the life of me figure where this leak is coming from.

Would riding for 2 hours in the heat make it leak? It was at least 100 degrees for the whole ride. I never had my overheat light go off, nor did I get any steam. I took another hour ride a couple hours later and I still got the leaking but no signs of overheating.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Overflow or pump

By the description I would say you may have too much in the system or a bubble in the line. Is there a gurgling sound right after you stop?

Long shot would be pump is weeping but by the description I would rule this out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not getting any gurgling, but the fan turns on a lot. I thought it might be the pump, but the leak is coming from somewhere higher than that.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you're talking about the white plastic overflow tank, did the fluid level in the tank look like it was overfilled? If so maybe your rad cap isn't holding pressure and it's letting coolant overfill the overflow tank, or maybe the overflow tank has developed a hairline crack.

If it's the actual radiator tank, might need to remove it for a pressure test. But, this weather we're having does put a lot of stress on the bike's systems and it may just go away when the temps moderate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looked kind of low to me, but maybe that's from losing the coolant. I'll have to check the bottom of the reserve tank in the morning, not sure how it would crack though.

·
Registered
423 Posts
It looked kind of low to me, but maybe that's from losing the coolant. I'll have to check the bottom of the reserve tank in the morning, not sure how it would crack though.
Grab a flashlight and inspect your plastic tank for small spider cracks. I had to replace my tank last year for this reason. The cracks would expand when hot and leak.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Did you get around to seeing if you have a problem or not???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out it was a cracked coolant reservoir. I ordered another one.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Glad to hear you found the problem. I had the shop replace mine for me. Out the door cost was under $200.00 if I remember right, maybe $175.00 +/-.. Good luck..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It should be an easy enough undertaking for me, so I'm gonna try replacing it myself.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
Fecking plastic!! I still say it's only useful purpose is for making frisbees. Makes you wonder who had the bright idea to make radiators with 200+ degree liquid in it out of plastic, fecking brilliant. Even the drain petcock on my Z71's radiator was made of plastic, and so consequently it broke off, WTF.

·
Registered
101 Posts
just wondering how difficult it was replacing your coolant res tank. I found a leak on mine the other day and super glued it shut, Im going to buy a new one since that's only a temporary fix and wanted to know if i should let the shop install it or if its easy enough to install without removing too many things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts