Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I was heading out the door to get on my bike (2001 sabre) and I notice clear fluids under my bike. Havent riden her in a few days. Fluid is clear but slightly watery, thinking could be water from the radiator. Its been in the 60's not sure if radiator fluid might have expanded and came out of the overflow tube or what. fluid is sitting right under the center of the engine just in front of the kick stand. thought I would throw this up and see what others might think.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Put your finger in the fluid and see if it is oily, if it is you could have a leak from either the clutch slave cylinder or the clutch line, remove the master cylinder cover and see if the level is down

Then check the sump to see if there is any oil around any of the bolts, don't forget to feel above the bolts to make sure it isn't coming from somewhere else.

Check the breather hose which hangs down about there, if it is coming from that check your oil level..if the level is too high you could have a leak from a gasket allowing water into the oil, time to drain the oil and make sure it isn't milky or foamy.

If the spillage is not oily you could have put too much coolant in the overflow tank or maybe you or a neighbour have a cat.

John.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dew was my first thought as well but i park in a carport and nothing else was wet. It did feel a little oily this morning when i touched the fluid, it was clear going to do a once over on the bike when I get home possible dog or cat peeing on my bike if so shotgun will fix that issue.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
dew was my first thought as well but i park in a carport and nothing else was wet. It did feel a little oily this morning when i touched the fluid, it was clear going to do a once over on the bike when I get home possible dog or cat peeing on my bike if so shotgun will fix that issue.
All fluids will have a color to it. Use a piece of clean white paper to dab the puddle. And if it's an animal, you'll smell it! :shock:

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Well, fuel has an unmistakable smell but will dry up quickly. Coolant will smell sweet and have a greenish color about it (unless it's Zerex or the like = orangish). Oil will be varying shades of tan to brown and smell slightly metallic. Now, should I go into the varying aromas and colors of the rodent/feline/canine varieties? ... Just DON'T TASTE IT! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
66 Posts
The 96 vt1100c2 has a crankcase breather tube. Mine is located right next to the kickstand. Dont know if there is something like that on your model of 1100. When i drain the breather tube on mine it's a clear slimy fluid.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok so got back home and looked at the leak, I did the white paper test and the fluid is clear with a tint of brown. It is oily and was still on the carport when I got home. here are some pics of where I also found some fluid on the engine.

Even found some from the cross pipe between the cylinders

What was left on the ground from this morning

Also found this t fitting with a missing tube?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think you are right just checked the over flow and its empty, and there was fluid around the cross over pipe, well guess I know what I am going to be doing soon, going to flush the whole system while im at it that color is strange who know what the prev owner added to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.