Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOTE: THIS IS A RE-POST from the Members/Intro Forum, as I was not approved at the time of originally writing this:

Here is a mystery that I'm sure one of you smart folks can figure out.

I recently bought a 98 Shadow ACE 750 in Colorado (Pic Attached). Naturally, I want to run through all the maintenance items myself and check everything out.

One of my first tasks was to change the oil. I used a clean oil pan to see what comes out of the engine (as I am sure most of you also do). When transferring the old oil slowly, I noticed a small cylindrical metallic object in the old oil. (pic attached). NOTE: The ruler next to the object is in centimeters, so it is pretty small.

It is broken off on one end, and has a few marks on it, probably from getting chewed up a bit, though I heard nothing with my short tenure with the bike.

It appears to be a roll pin, but from what?? I've looked at exploded diagrams of the engine/transmission and I can't seem to find where it came from!

Any ideas on where this came from? Would YOU keep riding the bike without taking apart the engine/transmission?

I appreciate any ideas or thoughts.

(Avatar coming as soon as I'm approved)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Definately a Roll Pin. The only place I can think of one being used is in the Transmission. I dont see any in the listing.
I would ride it as it may be a remnant of something that was dropped in ther ein the past. Only other option is a complete teardown.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a therory, at some point your bike was at a honda dealer or mechanic, that was servicing/reparing a honda gold wing which involved the replacment of the latch pin, they removed the roll pin and in doing so broke it, replacde the pin and sent the goldwing on its way, then somehow that old pin fell in the funnel when an oil change was performed on your bike, it has slowly worked it way towards the drain plug and then you found it, I would hazard a guess that this roll pin is adequet for a latch pin application but certainly not for transmissions, if it was me i would be happy I found it and ride it normally. good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts