Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's bike has stalled out a couple of times starting from a stop. I just assumed it was her inexperience and she would eventually grow out of it. I was working on my VTX yesterday and she was gone. I needed something from the Honda shop. I warmed hers up for about eight minutes. On take-off, just above idle it coughed, sputtered and died.
It wasn't her after all!
I had to open the throttle 1/4 open to take off without stalling.
Later I poured in 1/4 of a can Berrymans and rode 10 miles. It honestly seemed much better. Not likely for cleaner to work so quickly, but I tried several times to make it happen again. The throttle was smooth and the engine transitioned from idle to accelerate smoothly. A lot of carburetor cleaners work best if circulated into the system and then be allowed to sit overnight, and run again in the morning, just my experience.
I'm curious to see how it behaves this morning.
2007 Shadow Spirit 750.

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
I hope mine is as easy, BUT...
?
It ran good 10 miles, then when I stopped it acts like the float stuck?
The rear carb is dripping fuel from the "boot";) insulator, Honda calls it...
My petcock stays ON, even though it is in the OFF position, so I pulled the tank off to stop fuel from filling the crankcase...

Hopefully you got your gremlin, I`m just starting on mine...

Good Luck Beezer,
D

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
My wife's bike has stalled out a couple of times starting from a stop. I just assumed it was her inexperience and she would eventually grow out of it. I was working on my VTX yesterday and she was gone. I needed something from the Honda shop. I warmed hers up for about eight minutes. On take-off, just above idle it coughed, sputtered and died.
It wasn't her after all!
I had to open the throttle 1/4 open to take off without stalling.
Later I poured in 1/4 of a can Berrymans and rode 10 miles. It honestly seemed much better. Not likely for cleaner to work so quickly, but I tried several times to make it happen again. The throttle was smooth and the engine transitioned from idle to accelerate smoothly. A lot of carburetor cleaners work best if circulated into the system and then be allowed to sit overnight, and run again in the morning, just my experience.
I'm curious to see how it behaves this morning.
2007 Shadow Spirit 750.
The B-12 is great stuff and fast working at removing varnish deposits. A 1/4 of a can is a bit too much as they recommend 1 oz per gallon of gas so don't get carried away. You can tell it's working from the smell from the exhaust as it smell like paint thinner or something like that. My neighbor complained about the smell when I used it on my bike, luckily he was only kidding being a biker himself. After my successful experience with B-12 vs Seafoam, I don't understand why more don't use it for the positive results and it costs less than Seafoam.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts