Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here mounted one of these up? I can't find anything anywhere that explains exactly how it attaches. Some of these tips attach with exposed screws, some with hidden screws, and as close as I can tell it appears the VLX tip has threaded studs on it but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Wow, I can't believe you just posted this! I just ordered one of these this afternoon! I thought it would make me "different" but good to know I'm in good company.
I have the same question as you do. I was wondering if JB Weld could be used as a "bonder" so the screws will not have to be drilled into the fender. I was going to wait until I receive it to get a good look at how they fit.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, I can't believe you just posted this! I just ordered one of these this afternoon! I thought it would make me "different" but good to know I'm in good company.
I have the same question as you do. I was wondering if JB Weld could be used as a "bonder" so the screws will not have to be drilled into the fender. I was going to wait until I receive it to get a good look at how they fit.

Like minds....:mrgreen: The tip should show up nicely on your black bike.

Where did you purchase your's and when do you expect to receive it? I've saved a seller on ebay that has them. Were you able to find out how they attach, even National Cycle doesn't say exactly how.

Problem I have if the tip has studs on it, there's no way to actually position it on the fender before drilling holes.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I bought it on eBay. I think the seller was called "jawzys" located in Ohio.
I saw one photo that shows two small screws countersunk into the trim going through the fender. However I'm hoping to find a way to not have to do that. I hope to have it by late next week. Although my bike is put away in the shed so I won't mount it till spring.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have the front fender tip on my bike (See my sig). The instructions will tell you the exact measurement between the 2 threaded bolts. Measure, use masking tape and drill, install and you are good to go.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I did a Google search for "National Cycle N725" and this is the photo I saw that shows the screws. So I expect this is how it is mounted.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a Google search for "National Cycle N725" and this is the photo I saw that shows the screws. So I expect this is how it is mounted.
Don't know, most websites say "the photo is representative of product" so it might not be mounted that way. I guess you'll find out when it arrives, be sure to post up a picture of it.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Don't know, most websites say "the photo is representative of product" so it might not be mounted that way. I guess you'll find out when it arrives, be sure to post up a picture of it.
Well, yes that is correct. It could be very different. I'm still going to do some research on the "JB Weld" idea. that would eliminate any drilling if it would work.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, yes that is correct. It could be very different. I'm still going to do some research on the "JB Weld" idea. that would eliminate any drilling if it would work.
That or if the tip isn't excessively heavy maybe that 3M tape would do the trick.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I thought about that too. The part is suppose to be cast metal not plastic. If the inside of it is fairly smooth the double sided tape idea could work. If it's a good fit I know that tape can hold really well.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
So, I got my fender tip in the mail today and thought I would follow up in this thread with some photos of it.
First I will say that it is very well made. I made a crack about how much it costs.......well that's mostly because I'm pretty cheap. This is a nice heavy piece of cast metal. Chrome finish on it is real nice as well.
It came shipped on a piece of cardboard, vacuumed sealed. On the back side of the packaging is a paper template to lay on the fender to lay out the holes to drill into the fender in order to mount it. NO screws will show when this is mounted. The screws are welded (or cast) into the back side of the piece and will go through the holes you drill into your fender. There is a small plastic package that contains a couple of small washers and nuts to attach to the screws from the under side of the fender.

So....it looks like the best way to mount this is to drill the recommended holes and mount it as they have intended. I hate the idea of drilling into my bikes fender too but I think it is going to look real nice once mounted.

I hope these photos help show it well.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is kind of how I figured it mounted up from what little information I could find online. Sure would be nice if someone had one mounted to see exactly what it looks like on the fender.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
That is kind of how I figured it mounted up from what little information I could find online. Sure would be nice if someone had one mounted to see exactly what it looks like on the fender.
Is that a hint??? LOL
Actually If it doesn't get too cold this weekend I had thought about getting my bike out of the shed and doing just that.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is that a hint??? LOL
Actually If it doesn't get too cold this weekend I had thought about getting my bike out of the shed and doing just that.
No, honestly it wasn't but hey...:mrgreen: It is supposed to be 'warmer' this weekend so if you are able I'd definitely like to see it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts