Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with a typical WA day today (rain, cold), I decided to go to Skagit Power Sports north of here to check out "stuff", and as I walk into the shop I see a gorgeous 2006 Suzuki Boulevard M50.

As big as the bike looked, I thought, "must be heavy". When I got on and picked it up I was very surprised at how light it really was. Overall, it felt better than a couple of the Hondas they had. Nice wide bars, forward enough that I didn't feel cramped, good peg location, although at 6' 6" I can always go for forward controls. And shallow I may be, but I love the low, stretched-out look of it. I would've gotten a test ride if it hadn't been for the weather.

There was an Aero 750 and a VTX1300 that I checked out too, doing a little "musical chairs" bit to see how comfortable I was on each of them compared to the M50. I was surprised that the Aero felt as cramped as my VLX as far as peg position and the grips. Also, both were much heavier that the M50, which weighs about as much as the VLX.

I love my VLX, no doubt there, but a couple things I've noticed: at anything over 60 it feels like it's straining a bit. I've also had some experience with hip cramps while on it if it's a cold day out because it just isn't long enough. I thought the Aero would be a better fit, but even the 1300 still felt cramped.

I really have no desire at this point to go for anything over 1100cc's. They're simply too big and bulky feeling when I sit on them to be comfortable taking them for a spin. I tried out my friend's 1100 last summer and it felt like a tank.

So I've been do a bit of research and most of the web reviews are very positive. Anyone here have any experience/thoughts on the M50? If the weather had been nice today, I think I might've ridden home on a new bike.

Naughty.. naughy boy I am.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
When my wife was looking to move up from her 250 Rebel we were kicking tires in a dealership and didn't know much about the Suzuki line up when she sat on a C90 - she loved it, felt light to her, not top heavy at all. After figuring out it was a 1400cc, 'we' decided it was too big of a jump from her current ride. She ended up with a slightly used VN750, which is a wonderful bike.

As far as the hip pain thing, I am 6'7" and I often have the hip pain at the end of a long stint in the saddle - goes away after I stand up for a few minutes, but comes back every hour or so. However riding a standard bike, V-strom 650 for two weeks I found no such pain, and if I needed a stretch I would stand on the pegs and ride a bit. I was shocked at how much better I felt riding that bike all day than I do riding a cruiser style bike....I guess we have a lot of leg under us and they should be used for support not stretched out in front. :wink:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good riding buddy just upgraded from the M50 to a Roadliner. He wanted "to stretch out." BTW hes 5'9". With some forward controls and possibly new bars the M50 would be just fine. His overall impression of the bike..."I loved it!" He rode one season and approx. 7500 miles. He went from a VLX600 to the M50 to the Roadliner in three years. Although the Roadliner is bigger, longer and heaver, it still handles like a small bike. He looked long and hard at all options and felt the 805cc engine + seat height + warranty + price + looks = great buy.

My take:
The M50 has great lines and many accessories but does not look well with any luggage IMO. I ended up with his cargo in my bags most rides. I'd look at the biggest bike you feel comfortable on, test ride (if possible) and buy the bike your still gonna love a years from now! If it ends up being the M50...I think it's a great bike.

Best of luck and safe riding!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input folks.

Duck, that almost sounds like the upgrade path I might take eventually. I did find another M50 for sale that has bags especially made for the boulevard, and it looked pretty good. I think the key will be to find them a little longer than perhaps normal.

I think whatever I chose to go with I'm eventually going to have to go with forward controls, except I can't find any for the VLX that doesn't elevate the riders feet. I want to go out, not up.

cbjr, you make an interesting point. I think I just might need to warm up a bit before sitting down on the bike to avoid the hip pain. I really like the comfort of a cruiser. I sat on a Big Dog (dunno what model, but not a chopper) that was stretched out and fell in love. Fell quickly out of love too when I looked at the $35,000 price tag. Wine-drinker's taste on a beer-drinker's salary.. *sigh* The M50, so far, has fit me the best out of the three other bikes I checked out.

This M50 I've been eyeballing is a 2006, was traded in last fall, looks mint, and has only 792 miles on it. They want $5900 for it and I'm having a real hard time talking myself out of it.

Another thing I think I would really like is the F/I and extra power for the highway or riding 2-up, something I can't do on the VLX. Of course, my girlfriend's all for it because she gets my VLX if I upgrade. Of course, that makes it even better, because then I have another riding buddy!

I just checked the weather for the next week, and it's not pretty. If it wasn't for the gorgeous summers here I would hate all the cold wind and rain that defines winter here. Ugh. I can't see justifying the pricetag just to have it sit for a month or two waiting for the weather to break. It just make the jonesin' that much worse!

Talking myself down - talking myself out of it. Sorta. Kinda.

Anyway, thanks again for all the input!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts