Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I took my Sabre out for a evening ride. I did everything right... Deglo green high vis armored riding jacket, armored pants, gloves, helmet, etc. I was even doing the speed limit. Approached a intersection on a 2 lane highway where there was a big SUV stopped in the opposite direction lane with his left turn signal on, apparently waiting for me to pass by so he could make his turn down a side road. I assessed the oncoming threats, was extra alert as always in this scenario, and it all looked good. At the last second that SUV made a left turn directly in front of me while I was doing 55mph. My only 2 thoughts that occurred in that fraction of a second were: “I can’t believe he’s turning!” and “How could he not see me!”. I knew my life was over at that moment, but somehow I locked up my brakes, front tire skidding, and I brought my Sabre to a upright stop on the edge of the road, missing that SOB by a fraction of a inch. It’s even hard for me to write this now, as I’m am choking up as I write. I’m still traumatized by this, and haven’t taken my bike out for a ride since. This is the second time this scenario has happened to me, but this was by far the closest call I’ve had while riding.
I just wanted to do some “forum therapy” and share this with everyone. No matter how in control you feel, how confident you are about your riding environment, accidents happen because they are completely unpredicted and unexpected, and you just never know what that moron in his car will do, especially in this world of texting and buzzed on pot while driving.
I’m not a religious man, but maybe this was a call from God that said: “Hey son I’m still here - maybe you need to spend some more time with me!”
Safe riding out there...

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,466 Posts
Thanks for sharing and writing this it is a wake up call for us all and reinforces the fact that we are invisible, dayglo clothing or not.
We must never forget that.

Now it is time for you to get back on the horse, the longer you wait the less chance there is that you will ride again.
Then the POS SUV driver won.

Your call, your life, but a life without the freedom and joy of motorcycling, it would be to me a life with a spot of emptiness.
Your skill and the wishes of the good Lord saved you and your bike to ride another day, why not take advantage of it?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sorry to hear about your near miss
Watch this vid, learn/practice the stuff mentioned in it:
Ride with your headlight on high beam day and night.
Wiggle/weave/move left-right within your lane when coming up on anyone that appears to be turning left/turning right/stopped/going slow/has their head down/ has their head up their butt/doing anything but normal driving.
I do it all the time and have noticed immediate eye contact wth the offending driver.
Movement (headlight) attracts the attention of those facing you, I do it to approaching bikes too, before the secret wave.
That and 2 fingers always on the front brake lever, always.

Most of this info is in the vid...watch it/learn it/practice it.
jmo,
(y)

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,262 Posts
Sorry to hear about your near miss
Watch this vid, learn/parctice the stuff mentioned in it:
Ride with your headlight on high beam day and night.
Wiggle/weave/move left-right within your lane when coming up on anyone that appears to be turning left/stopped/going slow/has their head down/ has their head up their butt/doing anything but normal driving.
I do it all the time and have noticed immediate eye contact wth the offending driver.
Movement (headlight) attracts the attention of those facing you, I do it to approaching bikes too, before the secret wave.
That and 2 fingers always on the front brake lever, always.

Most of this info is in the vid...watch it/learn it/practice it.
jmo,
(y)
What you mention SHOULD work but I have noticed: If making eye contact they think you are giving the right of way so I intentionally don't make eye contact leaving them guessing if I saw them so they are more cautious. I tryed the weaving thing once and the car saw me and pulled out in front of me anyway. I guess they thought I was ready to switch lanes.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,262 Posts
I'm glad you did the correct maneuver. I hate hearing the I had to lay it down. You will slow quicker and have less of an impact doing what you did. Laying a bike down, sliding metal and you on the road surface will go further and faster having more of an impact with more injuries. Great job of handling your bike. Thanks for warning us to be very cautious at all times. God does watch over us. I was riding, a dog was near the street, I slowed way down, the dog cut straight in front of me even though previously he had looked at me. I heard a voice, (What if he hits your foot?), I lifted my foot, the dog layed out dead in the street. When I got to the next light I had no shifter so I pulled into the gas station. My shifter was bent up under the bike. I had heard the voice, (What if he hits your foot?), had I not lifted my leg I'm sure I would have broken my foot. Pray and ride. Be safe.

·
Registered
153 Posts
What you mention SHOULD work but I have noticed: If making eye contact they think you are giving the right of way so I intentionally don't make eye contact leaving them guessing if I saw them so they are more cautious. I tryed the weaving thing once and the car saw me and pulled out in front of me anyway. I guess they thought I was ready to switch lanes.
yeh, It's more seeing their head postion change than actual "eye contact" that indicates they are looking AT you rather than past you.
I just niggle the gas tank with my knees that results in a strobe affect to my on high beam headlight.
When I do that I can see that head position change.
I developed that "niggle" by practicing with a friend, on his bike, coming towards me and he was "niggling" too.
A strobing headlight will do that but sadly they are illegal in most states now.
There are some electronics that pulse a headlight thru a bright/less bright, not really a strobe, but still open for debate with any cop that decides to stop you for it...something I like to avoid.

I am confortable doing what I do, as I'm sure you are with what you do, but if it didn't work once or twice for me, it would not make me stop or try to guess what a driver was thinking.

Reminds me of driving in Boston when the shoulders on the interstate become an additional lane during rush hour.
If you made eye contact with someone on the on ramp, they were going to pull out in front of you for sure.
jmo,

·
Registered
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2
174 Posts
Consider installing a headlight modulator. The headlight blinking low/high grabs attention and tickles the emergency vehicle neurons just enough to make drivers notice.

·
Registered
11,082 Posts
Were there any other cars around? Behind you, in front of you? What position were you in the lane...left / right / center? Did you slow to 55 when approaching the intersection, did you speed up, stay the same? When the same thing happens twice to you, you have to step back and take a close look at what you were doing each time. What could you have done differently? Something's there, you just have to find it and learn from it.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,725 Posts
I've had a few of those. I now have two bright LED driving lights mounted down low on the bike and turned my front turn signals into two color LED's. Bright white running lights that switch to amber when turn signal is on.

Reactions: Big Shrek

·
Registered
607 Posts
Glad it turned out well.......I tend to sway a lot in my lane.....but will definitely do it more when coming to an intersection where I don't have to stop....Good video..thanks for posting it

Reactions: kesanders

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
= Praise God
Many have been saved through Biker Ministry.
I pray you take heed and continue your journey this relationship God has open for you to enjoy...

Praise God
Dennis

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,557 Posts
Were there any other cars around? Behind you, in front of you? What position were you in the lane...left / right / center? Did you slow to 55 when approaching the intersection, did you speed up, stay the same? When the same thing happens twice to you, you have to step back and take a close look at what you were doing each time. What could you have done differently? Something's there, you just have to find it and learn from it.
My version:

So you had time to realize you were doing 55 mph but didn't decrease your speed for the intersection with vehicles present? Bright green gear didn't work or maybe a modulator will do the job next time. So how many "practice" runs @ this you going to get? You got to be prepared for every corner, intersection, side road, hidden drives, deer, raccoon, bear, even a big fat snake, etc. :oops: YOU are the only one and nobody else to see you safe to home every ride.

Reactions: kesanders

·
Registered
85 Posts
some drivers are idiots even the modulator thing could turn bad when a driver is trying to rush and only glances at you for a second. all they will see is a headlight flash and assume your giving them the go ahead to pull out. on the other side ive had several dealings with morons on a bike too. trying to merge into a highway a motorcycle that was behind me on the ramp merged first and punched it. i almost hit him as i tried to merge over right as he tried to pass me. another incident i almost had was a rider buzzing between cars during a traffic jam as i was trying to move to the right to get off an exit. as i have alot of friends and family that ride i definitely try to pay close attention to riders out there but ive had a couple close calls with riders being idiots. as im getting back into riding myself i wish i seen more riders being safer as i also feel it gives those of us who just want to enjoy our bikes and ride safely a bad stigma. like alot of people automatically assume your on a bike so your going to ride like a daredevil. glad everything turned out safely for you dont give up on your bike.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2
174 Posts
I use my horn a lot. I am not bashful about it at all, and when approaching a danger situation I honk honk honnnnnnk until I see heads/eyes on me. I installed a louder horn that helps.

Out of all the suggestions here, though, the absolute best behavior for survival is to slow down when approaching any danger situation. Learning to spot those situations and slow down, giving everybody more time, is vital. Speed kills most reliably with bikers, which is why I can't have a sportbike anymore...I can't stay off the throttle. 750 Shadow keeps me in line. :D

·
Registered
11,082 Posts
I use my horn a lot. I am not bashful about it at all, and when approaching a danger situation I honk honk honnnnnnk until I see heads/eyes on me. I installed a louder horn that helps.

Out of all the suggestions here, though, the absolute best behavior for survival is to slow down when approaching any danger situation. Learning to spot those situations and slow down, giving everybody more time, is vital. Speed kills most reliably with bikers, which is why I can't have a sportbike anymore...I can't stay off the throttle. 750 Shadow keeps me in line. :D
I thought I was the only big horn blower. The looks I get...you too as well I bet. But it makes a huge difference. I do the SMIDSY wiggle whenever I approach an oncoming left turner. Seems to help too.
Slowing down, horn, and wiggling. The Trinity of Safety.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,466 Posts
Loud horns save lives!
I don't use mine a lot, but the Smith System is embedded in my head and the horn is the classic "Make sure they see you" tool.
Sadly that rule seems to be, judging by the reactions I get, morphing into "Make sure they are awake" these days.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts