Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2
174 Posts
Has anyone noticed how when you honk, heads look up these days? I swear everybody is texting and crap at every intersection, it makes me furious.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I didn’t mention in my post, that not 3 or 4 days later I hit a deer (at night) with my car on a 2 lane hiway. The other guy (who’s windshield it landed on) said I ejected the buck straight in the air and it was spinning like a top before it landed on him and impaled his antler into his roof!
Between the near miss on my Shadow and then this ... it was a bad week. I just thank God I didn’t hit that deer with my bike ! 😬

·
Registered
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2
174 Posts
With a close call and hitting a deer in the same week, you should be good to go on luck for a couple years. No worries, ride drunk.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i like the tail light module portion not the headlights. i can still only picture a distracted driver assuming im flashing them to give them the right away.
Here's the cheap tail light strobe I use, it only works with an LED bulb though:
Watch the video, read the reviews, look around for flush mount lights.

And there's a lot of small/red flush mount LED lights on that site that can be added with that strobe, instead of using a LED bulb in the stock tail light, I've done that too.
I've used these and others:

Look around that site for more lights and there's a lot of chrome stuff there too, if that's your thing.

I've used chrome nut covers from there before.
(y)

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,262 Posts
The flashing does make the bike much more visible but that used to be the standard for an emergency is honk the horn and flash the lights. I could definitely see getting pulled over to se what the problem is where I live

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
4,909 Posts
Watch the front tires of any vehicle you are approaching. They will telegraph their intention before they make a move. I don't make eye contact. I see what the front tires do. In your case. In the turn lane. Tires already turned. Watch to see if the tires roll.

·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts
Having ridden in The-Viz, and not, I found that there are times when it works, times it works Great! ...and times which it works against you.

Watch that Crash-Course video, on page-one, again. Learn how to do that SIAM Maneuver... It really works - much better than Viz, for pull-outs.. I have also found that making yourself a more solid block of color helps with pull-outs much better than breaking up your profile with different colors, too.

I have also tried a headlight modulator, and, they cause stress and confusion in a lot of people. Have had people pull-over, been followed by so many cops while using one - seemingly unsure of the laws regarding these things.. But I stopped using mine because of the constant confusion it causes in traffic. Which is never a good thing.

Hi-Viz! ....works great in low-light situations - All my Rain Gear is High-Viz, because I can see a High-Viz jacket before a brake-light in low light/low visibility situations myself. It also works well on the interstate where people are quickly checking mirrors before changing lanes (etc.) .. In town though.. I have lost faith in the 'Viz.. The SIAM works 1000% better.. it also works to get people who are tail-gating to back off (around 90% of the time), too.

I always throw people a wave after using it .. just as a thanks for putting-up with me, and to help dispel any stress caused by confusion that maneuver might cause in others. But I am a HUGE fan of that maneuver. It just works. And So-much better than a blinky-headlight, or anything else I have tried.

The pullout thing... Rule always seems to be.. If you see somebody "waiting" for you to pass them when you know that they have plenty of time to make their turn.. If you are saying to yourself .. "You can go" ..."you can go" ..for a few seconds as you approach them.. The chances of them actually making that turn in-front of you at the last minute go through the roof (has been my experience)..

They can be looking at you right in the eye, too.. They just don't get how fast you are going to get there. (otherwise they would have made that turn, initially, when you knew they had plenty of time to do so).. Their "waiting" ..is a dead-giveaway that they cannot properly gauge your eta.. So.. Something to watch out for.

As to the viz.. I actually like those colors, Kinda Upbeat! .. so I actually like wearing those colors, and will wear them riding off-road; and I also have a vest I can throw-on if I hit the interstate.. ...had a lot of luck with it in low-light/grim weather, too. ..Other than that though.. around town.. I found that it increased the risks of pull-outs over sporting a more solid block of color profile.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I've been watching this thread for a while now, biting my tongue and staying at least 5' back from my keyboard.... but I just gotta say it...... DO you think you might be over dramatizing the situation a bit? I mean "near death experience" "almost killed me" etc? If you are on an open road and can see it happen in front of you, then you have the ability to avoid it most every time. If you have time to lock up both tires (and we know locking up the front tire is bad news) and still stop in time, then you also had ample time to slow down and maneuver. We all have a tendency to get target fixation and just start grabbing brakes and we forget that we are more maneuverable that the other guy and we can just veer to the left or the right. If you feel that riding a motorcycle is such a life threatening and dangerous activity, then you might want to consider spending your time and money doing something else.

I'll disagree with @Mark-B regarding vi-vis clothing, sparkly helmets and the like. If someone can't see you coming with your headlight and running lights on, what you wearing probably isn't going to make much difference. Too many people out there just aren't paying attention.

Keep riding, get more comfortable. Learn your bikes abilities and your abilities. If someone cuts in front of you, swerve and go behind them. Grabbing brakes takes away all options and all you can do is hope you'll stop in time. Living on hope might not be the best option. My .02 anyway.

Either way, glad you made it out unscathed.

Reactions: vito and KCochran

·
Registered
9 Posts
A couple weeks ago I took my Sabre out for a evening ride. I did everything right... Deglo green high vis armored riding jacket, armored pants, gloves, helmet, etc. I was even doing the speed limit. Approached a intersection on a 2 lane highway where there was a big SUV stopped in the opposite direction lane with his left turn signal on, apparently waiting for me to pass by so he could make his turn down a side road. I assessed the oncoming threats, was extra alert as always in this scenario, and it all looked good. At the last second that SUV made a left turn directly in front of me while I was doing 55mph. My only 2 thoughts that occurred in that fraction of a second were: “I can’t believe he’s turning!” and “How could he not see me!”. I knew my life was over at that moment, but somehow I locked up my brakes, front tire skidding, and I brought my Sabre to a upright stop on the edge of the road, missing that SOB by a fraction of a inch. It’s even hard for me to write this now, as I’m am choking up as I write. I’m still traumatized by this, and haven’t taken my bike out for a ride since. This is the second time this scenario has happened to me, but this was by far the closest call I’ve had while riding.
I just wanted to do some “forum therapy” and share this with everyone. No matter how in control you feel, how confident you are about your riding environment, accidents happen because they are completely unpredicted and unexpected, and you just never know what that moron in his car will do, especially in this world of texting and buzzed on pot while driving.
I’m not a religious man, but maybe this was a call from God that said: “Hey son I’m still here - maybe you need to spend some more time with me!”
Safe riding out there...

View attachment 288497
I got broadsided by a drunk driver. Sometimes fate is the hunter. Do I still ride? Of course.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The fact that you kept it on 2 wheels is enough reason to get back out there
Don't overlook that it took some ability and awareness to do what you did.
Glad you're safe
Keep ridin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just glad you're ok. It certainly is a wake up call when it happens. You are correct when you say it underscores that no matter how in control we feel something can certainly happen. I was waiting at a light the other morning and the car behind me gently tapped my rear tire. Imagine if he were going at speed. Keep the rubber side down. God bless.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I use my horn a lot. I am not bashful about it at all, and when approaching a danger situation I honk honk honnnnnnk until I see heads/eyes on me. I installed a louder horn that helps.

Out of all the suggestions here, though, the absolute best behavior for survival is to slow down when approaching any danger situation. Learning to spot those situations and slow down, giving everybody more time, is vital. Speed kills most reliably with bikers, which is why I can't have a sportbike anymore...I can't stay off the throttle. 750 Shadow keeps me in line. :D
If you're gonna use a horn, buy a HORN ! Several on Amazon but this is the one I got.

139dB, It's fun watching people panic trying to figure out why they can't see the truck honking at them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A couple weeks ago I took my Sabre out for a evening ride. I did everything right... Deglo green high vis armored riding jacket, armored pants, gloves, helmet, etc. I was even doing the speed limit. Approached a intersection on a 2 lane highway where there was a big SUV stopped in the opposite direction lane with his left turn signal on, apparently waiting for me to pass by so he could make his turn down a side road. I assessed the oncoming threats, was extra alert as always in this scenario, and it all looked good. At the last second that SUV made a left turn directly in front of me while I was doing 55mph. My only 2 thoughts that occurred in that fraction of a second were: “I can’t believe he’s turning!” and “How could he not see me!”. I knew my life was over at that moment, but somehow I locked up my brakes, front tire skidding, and I brought my Sabre to a upright stop on the edge of the road, missing that SOB by a fraction of a inch. It’s even hard for me to write this now, as I’m am choking up as I write. I’m still traumatized by this, and haven’t taken my bike out for a ride since. This is the second time this scenario has happened to me, but this was by far the closest call I’ve had while riding.
I just wanted to do some “forum therapy” and share this with everyone. No matter how in control you feel, how confident you are about your riding environment, accidents happen because they are completely unpredicted and unexpected, and you just never know what that moron in his car will do, especially in this world of texting and buzzed on pot while driving.
I’m not a religious man, but maybe this was a call from God that said: “Hey son I’m still here - maybe you need to spend some more time with me!”
Safe riding out there...

That is quite a ride! How you managed to remain up-right and safely come to a stop is testimony of an experienced, skilled rider! When you are on the road, you have got to keep in mind that you are simply invisible at all times. I’v had so many of these types of events on the road, I can’t count them all! Even other bikers just dying to occupy the same space as you are, all the time! When the adrenalin kicks in your brain goes into full boost turbo mode and everything appears in super slo-motion which so far for me aids in escaping an accident. But the come down is brutal as you can only sit a spell off the side of the road and count your lucky stars! Getting back in thee saddle is paramount for your well being as you can’t except defeat.
BTW, that’s a gorgeous ride you have!

View attachment 288497

·
Registered
138 Posts
Whoops. Guess new format doesn't like links. Anyway, the one I bought was a Stebel 11690019 - Nautilus Compact Mini Air Horn
less than thirty bucks plus a couple for a relay to prevent burning up your horn switch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use my horn a lot. I am not bashful about it at all, and when approaching a danger situation I honk honk honnnnnnk until I see heads/eyes on me. I installed a louder horn that helps.

Out of all the suggestions here, though, the absolute best behavior for survival is to slow down when approaching any danger situation. Learning to spot those situations and slow down, giving everybody more time, is vital. Speed kills most reliably with bikers, which is why I can't have a sportbike anymore...I can't stay off the throttle. 750 Shadow keeps me in line. :D
My horn(s) are really loud, and they help a lot! No incipient little “pleat” for me!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts