Honda Shadow Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
I congratulate you on a job well done this time. You lived so what ever you did, it worked.
a long time ago on this forum we all listed the one or two things we do to keep us safe.
the list got quite long.
for intersections itwas suggested you do two things beyond awareness
1. Slow down 10mph so reduce your stopping
2. Cover your brakes and be saying to yourself “brake brake brake brake” over and over. You are saving they slit second of brain to hands and foot time which translates to distance.

ihavethespirit...

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
Having ridden in The-Viz, and not, I found that there are times when it works, times it works Great! ...and times which it works against you.

Watch that Crash-Course video, on page-one, again. Learn how to do that SIAM Maneuver... It really works - much better than Viz, for pull-outs.. I have also found that making yourself a more solid block of color helps with pull-outs much better than breaking up your profile with different colors, too.

I have also tried a headlight modulator, and, they cause stress and confusion in a lot of people. Have had people pull-over, been followed by so many cops while using one - seemingly unsure of the laws regarding these things.. But I stopped using mine because of the constant confusion it causes in traffic. Which is never a good thing.

Hi-Viz! ....works great in low-light situations - All my Rain Gear is High-Viz, because I can see a High-Viz jacket before a brake-light in low light/low visibility situations myself. It also works well on the interstate where people are quickly checking mirrors before changing lanes (etc.) .. In town though.. I have lost faith in the 'Viz.. The SIAM works 1000% better.. it also works to get people who are tail-gating to back off (around 90% of the time), too.

I always throw people a wave after using it .. just as a thanks for putting-up with me, and to help dispel any stress caused by confusion that maneuver might cause in others. But I am a HUGE fan of that maneuver. It just works. And So-much better than a blinky-headlight, or anything else I have tried.

The pullout thing... Rule always seems to be.. If you see somebody "waiting" for you to pass them when you know that they have plenty of time to make their turn.. If you are saying to yourself .. "You can go" ..."you can go" ..for a few seconds as you approach them.. The chances of them actually making that turn in-front of you at the last minute go through the roof (has been my experience)..

They can be looking at you right in the eye, too.. They just don't get how fast you are going to get there. (otherwise they would have made that turn, initially, when you knew they had plenty of time to do so).. Their "waiting" ..is a dead-giveaway that they cannot properly gauge your eta.. So.. Something to watch out for.

As to the viz.. I actually like those colors, Kinda Upbeat! .. so I actually like wearing those colors, and will wear them riding off-road; and I also have a vest I can throw-on if I hit the interstate.. ...had a lot of luck with it in low-light/grim weather, too. ..Other than that though.. around town.. I found that it increased the risks of pull-outs over sporting a more solid block of color profile.
Well said. Never saw the allure of a modulator, for all the reasons you state here. The SMIDSY thing has made all the difference...I get some weird looks as I pass the driver waiting to turn or pull out, put I also see the "Oh, there's a bike!" looks as well.

I have a faring so hi-viz is wasted on me because I'm hidden behind that. Maybe a more colorful helmet is in my future...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Been there, only I did have to lay it down. 25 feet with construction debris is not enough distance. If you ever do lay it down, GET OFF! You do not want any part of your body between the bike and the road.
Now I don't just wiggle, I'm all over the lane at intersections on the premise that if I see some psycho doing that, I'm staying as far away from him as I can.
Also, the tail lights on my Aero flash a couple hundred times a second, and are actually off more than they're on. You can't actually see them flash with the eye, but they are real annoying and will show in a 30 fps video.
When you're ready, get back on.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2
198 Posts
If you're gonna use a horn, buy a HORN ! Several on Amazon but this is the one I got.

139dB, It's fun watching people panic trying to figure out why they can't see the truck honking at them.
Hey, I want 139dB thank you! Can you edit the link in? All I see is a link back to the thread unless I'm missing summin...

·
Registered
43 Posts
A couple weeks ago I took my Sabre out for a evening ride. I did everything right... Deglo green high vis armored riding jacket, armored pants, gloves, helmet, etc. I was even doing the speed limit. Approached a intersection on a 2 lane highway where there was a big SUV stopped in the opposite direction lane with his left turn signal on, apparently waiting for me to pass by so he could make his turn down a side road. I assessed the oncoming threats, was extra alert as always in this scenario, and it all looked good. At the last second that SUV made a left turn directly in front of me while I was doing 55mph. My only 2 thoughts that occurred in that fraction of a second were: “I can’t believe he’s turning!” and “How could he not see me!”. I knew my life was over at that moment, but somehow I locked up my brakes, front tire skidding, and I brought my Sabre to a upright stop on the edge of the road, missing that SOB by a fraction of a inch. It’s even hard for me to write this now, as I’m am choking up as I write. I’m still traumatized by this, and haven’t taken my bike out for a ride since. This is the second time this scenario has happened to me, but this was by far the closest call I’ve had while riding.
I just wanted to do some “forum therapy” and share this with everyone. No matter how in control you feel, how confident you are about your riding environment, accidents happen because they are completely unpredicted and unexpected, and you just never know what that moron in his car will do, especially in this world of texting and buzzed on pot while driving.
I’m not a religious man, but maybe this was a call from God that said: “Hey son I’m still here - maybe you need to spend some more time with me!”
Safe riding out there...

View attachment 288497
A trick for survival is to know you are totally invisible to most others on the road, and that those who see you want to kill you. Glad He saved you this time...

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
WOW... Does anyone actually enjoy riding?

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
WOW... Does anyone actually enjoy riding?
(I know what you're getting at with your question. More rhetorical than actual, I think)
BUT.....It has lost some of its appeal for me recently because I like to have a destination to go to...grab some wings and a beer with friends, go to a car museum or some other gathering. This past Sunday I rode about 200 miles, but totally enjoyed it because I had places to go and people to see. There's hope for me yet.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
(I know what you're getting at with your question. More rhetorical than actual, I think)
BUT.....It has lost some of its appeal for me recently because I like to have a destination to go to...grab some wings and a beer with friends, go to a car museum or some other gathering. This past Sunday I rode about 200 miles, but totally enjoyed it because I had places to go and people to see. There's hope for me yet.
Often it seems we share a common brain @vito Scary huh!!! I can't ride just to ride. I always need to have a destination. I don't get too wound up about timetables and thelike, but I most definitely need to have a destination.

Maybe I spent a little too much time in regions where most people actually are trying to kill me, won't go back... too old. If I felt everyone on the road was trying to kill me when I was on my bike I'd sell the darn thing and buy a Corvette convertible. Worked for our old buddy @Hondaguy (where ever the heck he's been hiding lately.

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
Often it seems we share a common brain @vito Scary huh!!! I can't ride just to ride. I always need to have a destination. I don't get too wound up about timetables and thelike, but I most definitely need to have a destination.

Maybe I spent a little too much time in regions where most people actually are trying to kill me, won't go back... too old. If I felt everyone on the road was trying to kill me when I was on my bike I'd sell the darn thing and buy a Corvette convertible. Worked for our old buddy @Hondaguy (where ever the heck he's been hiding lately.
I had two destinations set this past Sunday, far enough apart to make it a worthwhile ride which I thoroughly enjoyed. That hasn't happened in awhile.

Hondaguy lurks...I think. Maybe. Or he is shunning us. Hard to tell, but he was/is a good guy so I am certain there is no malice involved.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I've been doing more and more off-road riding on my dirt bikes. Same thing though, I need a destination. Working my way across the desert along the old Pony Express Trail and over a mountain pass there's a roadside joint that sells great burgers and cold beer. It's about 60 miles each direction, most of it up on the pegs. That's pretty much my go-to. There's another place, better food, colder beer that's about 11 miles farther but I haven't quite figured out how to get there completely off-road yet.

I did almost the entire Pony Express Trail in Nevada. I had a guy with me who understood GPS and way points. That trip was mapped out pretty good and we had to be in certain places each night. Excellent ride. 3 nights on the trail.

Getting older now so the distance I want to travel each day is getting less and less. On the open road, 400 miles in a day is plenty. Definitely no more than that. A 200 mile trip with stops and friends to see sounds most excellent.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey, I want 139dB thank you! Can you edit the link in? All I see is a link back to the thread unless I'm missing summin...
Still couldn't get the link to work but
the one I bought was a Stebel 11690019 - Nautilus Compact Mini Air Horn
less than thirty bucks plus a couple for a relay to prevent burning up your horn switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been riding for about 40 something years, been run over by 4 cars and 1 pickup truck ( two times with cars was walking on side walk or side of road) so that's 3 times on a bike. What I would like is a way to be able to see dangerous drivers so I can avoid them. Maybe something like riders can carry paint guns and shoot the car to mark it so all will know there is a dangerous A hole driving,you see a car with some paint spots you can avoid him, or something like this as I k ow from personal experience kicking the **** out of a guy who just ran you and your bike over just gets you arrested and that fool drives off to hit another guy less then a week later this ti.e putting him in hospital and he is still out there driving around without regard for anyone else,and you can't see that he is a danger to all. To many people have lost the sence of being responsible for there actions and just brush it off to an insurance company, that's not right we as riders have to protect each other because no insurance money is worth your leg or life. I have been the world's best luck in moments of the worst luck you can get,I'm still alive and relatively in one piece but would love some kind of warning sign that theres a bad driver next to, confront of,behind me ect ect. Just something I think about when I have a close call with a car, any one else got any ideas?

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
I have been riding for about 40 something years, been run over by 4 cars and 1 pickup truck ( two times with cars was walking on side walk or side of road) so that's 3 times on a bike. What I would like is a way to be able to see dangerous drivers so I can avoid them. Maybe something like riders can carry paint guns and shoot the car to mark it so all will know there is a dangerous A hole driving, you see a car with some paint spots you can avoid him, or something like this as I k ow from personal experience kicking the **** out of a guy who just ran you and your bike over just gets you arrested and that fool drives off to hit another guy less then a week later this ti.e putting him in hospital and he is still out there driving around without regard for anyone else, and you can't see that he is a danger to all. To many people have lost the sence of being responsible for there actions and just brush it off to an insurance company, that's not right we as riders have to protect each other because no insurance money is worth your leg or life. I have been the world's best luck in moments of the worst luck you can get,I'm still alive and relatively in one piece but would love some kind of warning sign that theres a bad driver next to, confront of,behind me ect ect. Just something I think about when I have a close call with a car, any one else got any ideas?
"Too many people have lost the sense of being responsible for there actions.."

This applies to any motorcycle operator as well. If I were involved in three accidents on my mc, I would take a hard look at each incident and determine what I did to contribute, and what I could have done differently, because I would be the common thread between all three accidents. I do this when I have a close call. There is always something I can take away from what happens on the road, and the amount of close calls I have have gone down from when I started riding.
Developing situational awareness will let you recognize when drivers may do something that can hurt you. Thinking three steps ahead about what could happen makes it possible to avoid most close calls.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had a nice "holly sh!!" moment the other night about 10:30. Going down a 2 lane with some low hills. Past a car so had low beam light on, over a hill then going down and in the right side of the lane is a doe standing maybe 2' away. I dont know it happend pretty fast. I was going about the speed limit 55. I hate deer. They scare me the most. I haven't been out for a night ride since. I never liked riding at night too much because of the deer. I have run over raccoon and opposom but I really dont want to hit a deer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have 2 systems on my bike for safety. One turns on the brake light when I'm down shifting or slowing down without the actual brake. And the other on automaticly turns off my turn signals after a turn, just in case I forget. I know some of you have "never forgotten to turn the turn signal off" but I have seen a lot of bikes ridding down the road with the blinker stil on. In fact I almost ran into a bike in my truck about a week ago. I was turning left at a light and he was coming towards me in the opposite lane but he had his left blinker on as well. I had a feeling that he was still going strait so I stopped. Guess who got flipped off for stopping in the middle of the road and made the bike have to swerve to miss my truck. If I hadn't listened to that little voice he would have hit the side of my truck, and it would have been a different story.

·
Registered
614 Posts
On a bike, you def have to stay aware...Just yesterday I almost got hit, but my spidey senses kicked in. Downtown baltimore...3 lanes....1 goes straight.....middle lane you can go straight or right.....right lane, you can ONLY go right!! Coming up to traffic light, guy ahead of me in that middle lane moves into the right (right turn only) but something told me, the moron was going to go straight....I was in the middle and turning right.....sure enough....he goes straight....

I ride mainly to/from work and traffic is picking back up and people are still driving as if the roads are empty......taking the fun out of riding....

·
Registered
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT750C2
198 Posts
After reading it all, I conclude that we need the following:
  • Autonomous vehicles
  • Kill all the deer

41 - 58 of 58 Posts