Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a Honda website ... AND I still have my Shadow! But, as real bikers, you'll appreciate this:

Was riding two up (highway speed) and all of a sudden I hear and feel a grinding noise and the rear end quickly became a little squirrely. When I slowed, I heard a "tick..tick..tick" and felt a little shimmy. I took the next exit and, fortunately, was able to stop at a Chevrolet dealership (Pallone Chevrolet in Springfield, VA ... thanks guys!). Upon inspecting the rear end (expecting grease and oil all over the place), what I discovered was a very large bubble protruding from the outside "corner" of the tire, enough that it rubbed the frame sufficient to cause some melting of rubber! And, I could actually push my thumb well into the center of the bubble (it was a Bridgestone, or something like that). How's that for a close call!!!! That could have been absolutely catastrophic on the highway.

Well, Geico arranged for a tow truck to deliver my bike to Morton's BMW (Fredricksburg, VA). By the time my bike was off the tow truck it was 5:00 pm on a beautiful Saturday ... and the service department closed at 3:30! However, having been in contact with Morton's crew, they PROMISED to stay there to change out the rear tire (they had Metzlers in stock). Morton's BMW did, indeed, stay and they changed the rear tire which enabled my wife and I to continue our journey. I can't say how impressed I am with that kind of outstanding customer service. I was told by them that most any BMW dealership would do the same thing. That's nice ... but, Morton's BMW is the one that delivered for me.

So, I have a great deal of gratitude to Jeff Massey, Stuart Beatson, and Dewey Keeton ... who made this whole thing happen. Jeff, Stuart, & Dewey ... THANKS!!!!! These three guys revealed to me how much a privilege it is to ride a BWM (LT, for me). (Dewey, if you happen to read this ... I easily noticed a significant improved ride in that rear tire!)

I would love to hear any similar stories about this type of "above and beyond" type of service. Anyone?

·
Registered
175 Posts
i don't have any stories of great service like that but i was riding on the back of a honda 750 with a frind when the back tire blew out. it threw me off the bike in the blink of an eye and i ended up in the lane going the opposite direction. i was lucky there were no cars coming. we had been riding all over town that day, just happen to be going slow when it happened.had come through 1 sharp turn and about to go through another when the tire popped. glad you were able to stop before it happened.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Nothing that above and beyond - that is awesome! But I can say that one of the two Honda dealers near me is no where near a "stealership" as I've heard them referred to. The other one, ... well... maybe it is a stealership - or at the very least have more morons than intelligent life forms.

Glad to know you adverted near catastrophe and had a pleasant - or waaaaay above and beyond - experience with your service center.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
VARider said:
I know this is a Honda website ... AND I still have my Shadow! But, as real bikers, you'll appreciate this:

Was riding two up (highway speed) and all of a sudden I hear and feel a grinding noise and the rear end quickly became a little squirrely. When I slowed, I heard a "tick..tick..tick" and felt a little shimmy. I took the next exit and, fortunately, was able to stop at a Chevrolet dealership (Pallone Chevrolet in Springfield, VA ... thanks guys!). Upon inspecting the rear end (expecting grease and oil all over the place), what I discovered was a very large bubble protruding from the outside "corner" of the tire, enough that it rubbed the frame sufficient to cause some melting of rubber! And, I could actually push my thumb well into the center of the bubble (it was a Bridgestone, or something like that). How's that for a close call!!!! That could have been absolutely catastrophic on the highway.

Well, Geico arranged for a tow truck to deliver my bike to Morton's BMW (Fredricksburg, VA). By the time my bike was off the tow truck it was 5:00 pm on a beautiful Saturday ... and the service department closed at 3:30! However, having been in contact with Morton's crew, they PROMISED to stay there to change out the rear tire (they had Metzlers in stock). Morton's BMW did, indeed, stay and they changed the rear tire which enabled my wife and I to continue our journey. I can't say how impressed I am with that kind of outstanding customer service. I was told by them that most any BMW dealership would do the same thing. That's nice ... but, Morton's BMW is the one that delivered for me.

So, I have a great deal of gratitude to Jeff Massey, Stuart Beatson, and Dewey Keeton ... who made this whole thing happen. Jeff, Stuart, & Dewey ... THANKS!!!!! These three guys revealed to me how much a privilege it is to ride a BWM (LT, for me). (Dewey, if you happen to read this ... I easily noticed a significant improved ride in that rear tire!)

I would love to hear any similar stories about this type of "above and beyond" type of service. Anyone?
Yeah, I too have had dealerships do right by me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A while back I was driving my sisters '86 buick and the same thing happened.
My buddy and I heard a very weird thumping noise coming from the rear of the vehicle...and sure enough....a huge bubble comin right off the side of the tire. We didn't have a flat either, but if we did, we wouldn't have been in nearly as much trouble as you and your wife would've.

·
Registered
168 Posts
A couple times per month we have to stay after to wait on a customer. Most independent shops will do that if they know you're coming...especially in a road emergency.

I played the double-whammy Saturday myself...

1. Drove 45 minutes away to help a customer that was stuck on the side of the highway. Got him running so that he was able to drive home and then ride his bike in to the shop today so we can take care of it for good.

2. Came BACK to work after closing to get a bike back together for a customer that "forgot to tell us" that he was selling the bike to someone Sunday. Only took an hour to get it ready to go, but I did have to arrange to drop off my daughter at my parents while I went to the shop.

Oh well..minor inconveniences when you're trying to be a positive addition to the biker brotherhood...

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Glad that you were able to stop safely!!!

Nice of you to repay that great service with throwing them a plug for their business. Hope their kindness is repaid! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, xrayr ... but ...it really wasn't my intent to throw any advertisement out. I'm just really amazed (and appreciative) that any dealership would do that. They certainly will have my business.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I was in my regular dealership one day last summer and saw the techs working on a Goldwing that had MN plates on it. The battery had apparently went dead at their motel and the dealership brought them a battery. Well, before they got on the road the new battery went dead also. The dealership had the bike hauled to their shop and after several hours work discovered there was a short in the handle bar with a broken wire. The mechanics worked on it until they had it fixed so the couple could get going. I hope that if I ever need service on the road while traveling I am able to find a shop like this.

Another story........ last summer a friend of mine and several of his friends headed out west on a 2 week trip. About 4 days into the trip my friend punctured the rear tire on his Goldwing. They were out in the middle of no where and he was able to plug the tire with a plug kit and aired it up with his on board air compressor. He rode the bike into the next town, about 50 miles, and found a bike shop. He took the wheel off the bike himself and just wanted the shop to mount and balance a new tire. It cost him almost 300 bucks to get a new tire! I think that was kind of crappy for that dealership to do that to him. They new he was traveling and they took advantage of him!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I posted this last week on another thread.

shadowjack

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:41 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ohhh nice, I coulda used it earlier today, I was out breaking in my new helmet when I noticed my front tire wanting to stay in those straight lines on the highway, pulled over and my valve stem was almost cut in half. I dumped a can of that fix a flat goo into it and proceeded to the nearest Honda dealer, it cost me $76 to get a new valve stem put on and they did it while I went and had lunch, not too bad 45 minutes down and I was back on the road. I have to give Cycle Barn in Lynwood, WA a thumbs up for the customer service they showed me today.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've been to Mortons in Fredericksburg, VA within the last 6 months looking at BMW bikes. Nice dealership. And it looks like, from your experience, they give very nice service as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.