Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
What's the rotor puller for? I needed one according to the manual to remove my starter clutch rotor but a 20 or 22mm :? iso fine bolt did the same job for only a few dollars.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steeeve,

The rear cylinder has only 20 PSI compression and is leaking coolant into the oil :) To take the head off, the engine has to be pulled. To pull the engine, the left engine cover and alternator rotor has to be pulled off so the engine is skinny enough to be swiveled to disengage from the drive shaft and then be pulled out the right side, after the sub-frame has been removed. Whew!

I've been told the right size bolt will work, and have not yet ordered the puller. I am having serious trouble getting the rotor bolt removed, so that I can then remove the rotor. That sucker is stuck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
ip, that's the same rotor I pulled. A bolt will work. Don't order a special tool you'll probably only use once when a simple bolt will do the trick.

·
Registered
195 Posts
...Sbrogden :
Listen to Steve ! , A 22mm Diameter bolt , with a 1.5 mm thread pitch will get your rotor off the crank shaft. I used same to remove
mine from my VT750. I went to an Industial Fastener Shop for mine .
( they didnt have instock , they ordered it specail for me ) costed me less than 3 bucks . I did ask that the bolt be at least 4 inches long .
( once i got the bolt , i had to borrow an air compressor and industial
strength impac gun to get the rotor off , as it was wayyyy beyond my phyisical strength to remove by hand ..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I successfully pulled the rotor! Had to use a 2 foot long cheater bar on the bolt that holds the rotor on the crankshaft and had a bit of a hard time getting the puller bolt to move. But less than 20 minutes for both and rotor is off!

When my friend is available, we will pull the engine. I have all the wires and hoses disconnected and the sub-frame removed. The 2 rear mounting bolts are it. The engine is resting on a wooden platform on a bike jack.

I thank all ya'll who gave advice.

I will keep this forum posted as we work on getting this bike back on its feet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts