Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning everyone,

I just signed up for the first class 2 weeks from now. I need a pair of over the ankle boots. I've been looking around the net some have said steel toe non motorcycle boots work well other say go with motorcycle boots. I also have seen people have issues with large toe boxes trying to shift.

Any recommendations would be helpful

Thanks
Evan

·
Registered
274 Posts
I wear sneakers on my bike and there's not a lot of extra room with the shifter... wouldn't want to wear construction grade boots, but I know some do. Especially if you're new, I'd personally recommend against it but what do I know.

I hear real good things about the Icon super duty 4... I think you can get them for <$100 on motorcycle superstore

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Just for the class any boots you already have. Work boots, hiking boots, etc. I have "motorcycle boots" I bought few years ago. Haven't worn them in a few years either. prefer either a pair of Merrel hiking boots or my Timberland work boots. < br/> < br/>

·
Registered
946 Posts
I bought a pair of 6" duty boots by Magnum. Really comfortable. Best part is you can walk around. Some riding boots are very uncomfortable to walk in.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I wear a pair of 6" Wolverines for riding. Comfortable, especially if your going to be doing a good bit of walking at your destination. I have a heel-toe, so shifting is not a problem.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice so far. I do not just want them for the class, I plan on using them when I ride and comfort when walking is important, that heel toe shifter sounds interesting.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Took mine 4 years ago so I really can't remember what I wore, but I think it was an old pair of hiking boots I had laying around. Just get a pair of comfortable boots with decent soles.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now those are boots the problem is how in the **** do you walk in them not to mention I just don't have the legs for those. lol

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Now those are boots the problem is how in the **** do you walk in them not to mention I just don't have the legs for those. lol
Thank Vishnu! We have a new member with a sense of humor!!!:eek::D

When I took the BRC, I just wore a pair of work boots/hiking boots. Take your time when shopping for a pair of riding boots. As stated, most are NOT comfortable to walk around in. Suggest that you hit up a boot shop if you have one close to you and "test walk" several different styles.

Now, I wear my Reeboks. I find boots to be uncomfortable while riding.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I wear work boots all day at work, and do a lot of high desert hunting/fishing and camping. Cowboy boots are normally my footwear of choice when I get "dressed up". With that said... er written, I don't see the use for a "motorcycle" boot. I've heard many that wear motorcycle boots complain about how uncomfortable the ones they have to walk in. Currently I wear Converse desert tactical steel toed boots for work and non-steel toed the rest of the time. Comfortable, cool, great sole and I've put many miles on them with absolutely no discomfort. Boots can be bought on line at workbootsusa.com. I am a big fan of hunting boots when it comes to riding. Spending a hundred plus dollars on a good pair of boots will probably last you many years. my .02 anyway.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: Sperry Topsider flip flops. They have great grip on slick surfaces, water proof and they allow lots of air flow on those hot rides to and from work on the highway. :-D

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently read some threads on guys just wearing combat boots. That's all that I ever wear. Not the old jungle boots style because they won't protect your ankles. The new combat boots out there today give great ankle support but with lightweight and versatile. Might want to give them out a try.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
These are what are generally issued to the military operating over in the sandbox or rockpile right now: Buy Bates Boots and get FREE Shipping when you combine your order with other brands. Bates Boots are extremely popular with police.
For the most part they are quite comfortable and long lasting. My preference though is: Converse Desert Tactical Boots W/ Safety Toe plus FREE SHIPPING & SOCKS. Converse Desert Boots are in stock. I work and abuse these hunting, fishing and hiking throughout the high desert. Never had a bit of foot discomfort wearing either the military issue or the Converse. Love the side zipper.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the link those converse look nice very comparable to the magnum does the zipper have a side piece to prevent the zipper from falling? I'm going to try and get to Dicks at least try on the magnum's I hate buying shoes on line you never know how they fit especially because I have a wide foot. Could just boil down to black vs tan as the mag's come in 6 and 8" also

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
The zipper has never slid down or acted like it wants to fail. I have a narrow foot ... seems most boots are made for folks with wider feet. I understand your reservations about ordering on-line. This was the first time for me and I was real happy with the results. If you notice, they make the same boot without the zipper, and I have a pair... I like the zippered better though. I started wearing tan boots when doing some ops over in the regions around Afghanistan. It's a different type of leather.... softer. Might even be a bit cooler.... All mine are 8".

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
the steel toed Response Gear Patrolman boots I got from Big 5 Sporting Goods are comfortable on and off the bike and were only $29. They come with or without zipper.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts