Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Indian Roadmaster
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What with having only one car, and the bike, and the wife and I both having to get to work, I find myself riding in increasingly cold weather. The Army cold weather gear that I have does a pretty fair job of keeping me warm on the bike...except for my hands. Even with the Tourmaster Polar Tex gloves that I have, my hands are freezing by the time I get to work. The wife says that I can have some heated gloves for Christmas, so now I need some recommendations.

So, here we go:
1) What brand to get?
2) Should I go for liners and use the gloves that I already have? They are size small, and fairly snug already.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
First - between now and then, get a box of latex gloves to wear inside your current gloves. It will keep the wind off of your fingers and you might be surprised how effective they are for the price.

If you are still set on electric gloves, get a set of Gerbings. Don't mess around with anything less. You'll get better overall performance out of a good non-electric glove than a cheap electric glove. You'll get better performance out of a non-insulated glove than a bad electric glove.

They're not cheap, but they're pretty badass.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I went heated grips on my 750, Oxford grips were reasonably priced and wok very very well, I went fancy chrome ones on the 1100 and they work...just enough to take the chill off, I could ride with non vented summer gloves with the Oxfords

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I have heated grips, and they get hot.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
So, here we go:
1) What brand to get?
2) Should I go for liners and use the gloves that I already have? They are size small, and fairly snug already.[/QUOTE]

I have a pair of Gerbings and have been very happy with them. I've ridden with them down to the teens and they do the job very well and I've had them for several years and they hold up nicely. Got my pair at a local Harley Dealer, HD branded but are Gerbing made.

I've had some other riders who have bought other brands comment about the fact that the warming elements don't cover the finger tips and other have said that the controllers only have specific setting that seem either too warm or too cold. Can't comment on these issues myself.

I wouldn't suggest liners for gloves that are already snug. Snug gloves can cut of circulation and that makes the hands even colder.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Save some money and just buy ski gloves make sure they are windproof. The Canadian gore-tex gloves are awesome, warm and breathable with leather hand. For other times i use a pair of Columbia ski gloves.

Dingo.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
How far do you ride and how cold is it?

I got the wife First Gear heated gloves for Christmas, but as it isn't Christmas yet I don't know how they work. I have First Gear Fargo gloves do pretty well down to the mid 40°s without turning on the heated grips.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Which Gerbing glove do you guys recommend, I would also like to buy a pair but there are so many different one's.
Looking at the pictures I liked the T5 and G3 models

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Warm & Safe, the Home of the Warmest Clothing in the Universe

This is wear I got mine, I also have their heated jacket liner and they both work great, my hands had frostbite many years ago and get cold very quick so needed something to keep them warm, the best thing about heated gloves is with there controller you can match the heat with the cold and they keep your whole hand including the fingers nice and snug, of course they are not cheap but for comfort I'll pay the price, if you can stay warm while riding you enjoy the ride so much more..............:lol:

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I have heated gloves and I have heated grips..

I sometimes have a long ride in the winter and so I know what freezing hands feel like.

Your wife is going to pay for these and so you want them to be something you will use and appreciate..

I fitted heated grips to several of my bikes, including a VT1100c Shadow..they really work..however you need to use them in a way that suits you best, this is the way I use mine..

I wear thin leather gloves under my motorcycle gloves, this gives me some protection while still allowing me to move my fingers enough to retain control of the bike, The heated grips have a control switch mounted on the bars and within reach of my thumb, the switch has three positions off/ half/full, I wait until the frost starts to nip my fingers and then I switch to full, they take exactly one minute to warm my hands and then I switch them off again until the frost starts to nip again, this way I can go all the way from one fill up to the next with full control of my fingers and without running the battery down..

Gloves..

I looked at heated gloves and narrowed my choice down to two types...wired to the bike battery or with a PP3 9v battery..

I decided that I didn't want wired gloves because I just wouldn't feel right about being tied to the bike by an electric wire..(this was not a logical choice because the wires are usually quick disconnect but it was my choice) so I chose gloves with an internal battery..they were the biggest waste of time and money I ever bought..The gloves themselves were reasonable quality and would probably be fine walking home from work, but the battery life was poor and I found that most of the batteries that I bought from filling stations had a very short life left in them because they sold for twice the price of any electrical shop..sometimes the battery would only last 100 yards down the road..

So to sum up..

Heated grips are the best thing since sliced bread if used the way I use them..

Heated gloves are something I will never buy again and I will never again use the ones I already have.

This post is for information only and based on my own experiences..I am using heated grips on my current ride.

John.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Silk gloves to wear inside warm windproof lined winter gloves. Then if below freezing for long rides I use chemical Hand warmers like Hot hands. 10 pair for 6 bucks they last 10 hours.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm in Peterborough, Williewonka and am looking at either heated gloves or grips. What is the coldest temperature you tend to ride in yet still have warm hands in your T5s? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Then if below freezing for long rides I use chemical Hand warmers like Hot hands. 10 pair for 6 bucks they last 10 hours.
Hey Greg, I am about to try the same. Do they work well? I figured at the price of electric gloves I could buy a 10 year supply of these chemical packets LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Hey Greg, I am about to try the same. Do they work well? I figured at the price of electric gloves I could buy a 10 year supply of these chemical packets LOL.
I've had great luck with them. I slip em in my glove and grip the handgrips for plenty of heat. Amazon sells em cheap.

·
Registered
2017 Indian Roadmaster
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have heated gloves and I have heated grips..

I sometimes have a long ride in the winter and so I know what freezing hands feel like.

Your wife is going to pay for these and so you want them to be something you will use and appreciate..

I fitted heated grips to several of my bikes, including a VT1100c Shadow..they really work..however you need to use them in a way that suits you best, this is the way I use mine..

I wear thin leather gloves under my motorcycle gloves, this gives me some protection while still allowing me to move my fingers enough to retain control of the bike, The heated grips have a control switch mounted on the bars and within reach of my thumb, the switch has three positions off/ half/full, I wait until the frost starts to nip my fingers and then I switch to full, they take exactly one minute to warm my hands and then I switch them off again until the frost starts to nip again, this way I can go all the way from one fill up to the next with full control of my fingers and without running the battery down..

Gloves..

I looked at heated gloves and narrowed my choice down to two types...wired to the bike battery or with a PP3 9v battery..

I decided that I didn't want wired gloves because I just wouldn't feel right about being tied to the bike by an electric wire..(this was not a logical choice because the wires are usually quick disconnect but it was my choice) so I chose gloves with an internal battery..they were the biggest waste of time and money I ever bought..The gloves themselves were reasonable quality and would probably be fine walking home from work, but the battery life was poor and I found that most of the batteries that I bought from filling stations had a very short life left in them because they sold for twice the price of any electrical shop..sometimes the battery would only last 100 yards down the road..

So to sum up..

Heated grips are the best thing since sliced bread if used the way I use them..

Heated gloves are something I will never buy again and I will never again use the ones I already have.

This post is for information only and based on my own experiences..I am using heated grips on my current ride.

John.
I have the Heat Demons inside-the-bar heated grips...unfortunately, they do not work well with the ISO-Grips. In order for me to swap the grips, I would have to find a new throttle sleeve, as the glue on the grips is really strong, and I am not sure I could get the right grip off and save the sleeve.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
A new throttle sleeve costs peanuts..or..

WD40 a thin flatblade screwdriver to start it off and a blast of air will remove most grips.

John.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
I'm in Peterborough, Williewonka and am looking at either heated gloves or grips. What is the coldest temperature you tend to ride in yet still have warm hands in your T5s? Thanks.
I rode last night because the roads were clear and I wanted to get out on my bike for a bit. My hands were my only warm body part. I believe it was -10C last night.

Definitely get the wired gloves and not the battery pack. Gives off much more heat and the wire disconnects very easily.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Definitely get the wired gloves and not the battery pack. Gives off much more heat and the wire disconnects very easily.
Definitely.

I love my Gerbing G3 gloves. Even in 25 degree weather and no fairing, I only turn them up to 2-3 and I'm good. I think all of their gloves have heating elements on the top and bottom of all fingers and that makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts