Honda Shadow Forums banner

Need heated glove recommendations

3K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  roman726 
I have heated gloves and I have heated grips..

I sometimes have a long ride in the winter and so I know what freezing hands feel like.

Your wife is going to pay for these and so you want them to be something you will use and appreciate..

I fitted heated grips to several of my bikes, including a VT1100c Shadow..they really work..however you need to use them in a way that suits you best, this is the way I use mine..

I wear thin leather gloves under my motorcycle gloves, this gives me some protection while still allowing me to move my fingers enough to retain control of the bike, The heated grips have a control switch mounted on the bars and within reach of my thumb, the switch has three positions off/ half/full, I wait until the frost starts to nip my fingers and then I switch to full, they take exactly one minute to warm my hands and then I switch them off again until the frost starts to nip again, this way I can go all the way from one fill up to the next with full control of my fingers and without running the battery down..

Gloves..

I looked at heated gloves and narrowed my choice down to two types...wired to the bike battery or with a PP3 9v battery..

I decided that I didn't want wired gloves because I just wouldn't feel right about being tied to the bike by an electric wire..(this was not a logical choice because the wires are usually quick disconnect but it was my choice) so I chose gloves with an internal battery..they were the biggest waste of time and money I ever bought..The gloves themselves were reasonable quality and would probably be fine walking home from work, but the battery life was poor and I found that most of the batteries that I bought from filling stations had a very short life left in them because they sold for twice the price of any electrical shop..sometimes the battery would only last 100 yards down the road..

So to sum up..

Heated grips are the best thing since sliced bread if used the way I use them..

Heated gloves are something I will never buy again and I will never again use the ones I already have.

This post is for information only and based on my own experiences..I am using heated grips on my current ride.

John.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.