Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help ,my 2000 steed 400 stutters when i come to a halt and take off again and sometimes it even dies .I CANT TELL WHERE THE **** I AM IF IM RICH OR LEAN BECAUSE IT DOES NOT BACKFIRE AND IT DOES NT SHOW ANY SYMPTOMS , NOR WHILE IDLING AND NEITHER WITH FULL THROTTLE OR WHILE COMING OFF THROTTLE..I ADJUSTED THE MIXTURE TO LEAN AND IT DOES THE SAME RICH DOES THE SAME ALSO,,CARBS ARE CLEAN AS FAR AS I KNOW I CLEANED THEM. ALSO BIKE STARTS WITHOUT CHOKE NO PROBLEM EVEN WHEN FUEL/AIR SCREW IS ON THE LEANER SIDE..WHEN I APPLY CHOKE THE BIKE DIES..NOT THAT I NEED THE CHOKE BUT MAYBE THIS WILL HELP SOME PROS OUT ON GIVING ME SOME INSIGHT ..SMALLEST BIKE I EVER HAD AND ITS GOING TO KILL ME. IM GOING TO POUR A CAN OF GAS AND LIGHT THIS BITCH ON FIRE. PLS HELP

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,859 Posts
So you only have problems with the bike when it's idling and you take off?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes bro and sometimes when cruising and start slowing down and catch up speed again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And i got told that carbed bikes arent supposed to start cold without choke,mine starts from cold and thats a sign that it is rich even if i turned the AF screw to the lean side.but i dont have black smoke neither backfires .

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,071 Posts
Are the carbs in sync -balanced ? You want both throttles opening at the same time. And your idle speed may be low. You can try to speed it up first and see if that helps any.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the carbs in sync -balanced ? You want both throttles opening at the same time. And your idle speed may be low. You can try to speed it up first and see if that helps any.
When i got the carbs off i didnt seperate them from each other ,and the butterflies were both going up and down in synch.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a stock airbox and a holesaw mod ,but the airbox boots are a little smashed up but it does not leak i sprayed wd 40 on the boots ,revs didnt go up..and also my bike wasnt always like this even when i did the holesaw mod .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts