Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a shadow spirit 2005 1100, and I just did the turn signal relocator and put on two soft bags, and took it for a ride. Well I didnt notice that the bags were too low and the exhaust pipe burned right through the bag and now there is a bunch of tar/plastic gunk stuck onto the exhaust pipe. Any ideas of how clean this without permanently ruining the chrome?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I have been told that the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is supposed to be the new Oven Cleaner. I have tried one of their sponges but it didn't work. I will get this one next to try.

Otherwise, cover anything you don't want ruined with tinfoil...all painted and aluminum surfaces, heat up the pipes, spray on the oven cleaner, run the bike a bit longer, then let cool. Most of it should be removed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Rather than spray on the oven cleaner, warm up the pipes, then spray a little oven cleaner on a clean rag and blot onto the spot to be cleaned. Don't spray it onto the pipes as the overspray on other parts is a really bad thing. Let set for a few minutes and wipe clean. Repeat as needed.

You can also try aluminum foil. Warm up the pipes a little. Wad up a piece of foil and scrape the plastic/rubber from the pipes. Aluminum foil is harder than the melted rubber, but softer than chrome, therefore will not scratch. (Test in a hidden area to make sure)

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
After getting the big stuff off with a razor blade, I use 000 steel wool to remove the residue finish it off with some chrome polish. I've been using this method for years on all my chrome pipes with success.

·
Registered
50 Posts
PainterD said:
After getting the big stuff off with a razor blade, I use 000 steel wool to remove the residue finish it off with some chrome polish. I've been using this method for years on all my chrome pipes with success.
A freind of mine tried the razor blade method and ended up scratching the chrome.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I know it's very possible to scratch chrome with a razor blade if you use a dull one or do it wrong. You have to slice with a razor blade going around the contour of the pipe or it will scratch. And make sure the razor blade is brand spankin' new.

·
Registered
949 Posts
"Danger Will Robinson"

Most cheap oven cleaners are just a Sodium Hydroxide aerosol

Be careful with that stuff. It is often used to dissolve the flesh from cadavers. Same stuff as some Drain Cleaners.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
When this happened to me, Cobra USA told me to use easy off oven cleaner, cold oven formula. Spray it on, making sure not to hit anything else, and leave it for 24 hours. It worked a charm. I have had to do that several times since and it is a god safe way to do it.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I will try the aluminum foil first, then oven cleaner, I rather stay away from the razor blade method. Nice to know I wasn't the only heat pipe rubber sticken problematic guy out there. Thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.