1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.. I need help with rear shocks of a shadow spirit 1100 2003
Can I go with the 12" progressive 412-4229C which I don't find much info on
Or should I go whit 11.5" 412-4202C
I'm bottoming out with almost anything and I scratch the Carter if I'm not careful on speed preventing bumps (I'm in Mexico) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,127 Posts
I personally had a new set on my 1100 06' Spirit to see if they rode any better and they leaked within 3 mos. and were harsher than the stocker's and no they weren't the HD versions. Sold them and put stockers back on with new bushings as they wear out pretty quickly but polyurethane variety aren't available for Shadows compared to VTX's and Valkyries. I would replace with stock Showa's if you can or you might try Burly or Worx though fitment might require some research. My Valk's are 45,000/21 yrs. old and perform like new with urethane bushings. Hope this will help. Ride safe. PS: Have tried adjusting the preload? I ran mine #4 position all the time as we rode 80% of the mileage two up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your reply.. It's hard to get new showa here... yesterday they said 1 month shipping and 400 usd each shock at the go to shop around Guadalajara.
Haven't checked on the Honda dealer... Went once and they said they only do service to hi CC bikes.
I'll check arroud this Burly and Worx. Also hope others with experience reply
Preload is already on 5th position and it still feels like a boat
Thought 412 are nitrogen charged
Thx again

·
Registered
12 Posts
Put progressive 411s on my 96 ace 1100 15 plus years ago. I bought the HD ones and on lowest setting and it road like a truck, I was about 200 lbs at the time. Finally bought Standard rate springs I’m now about 180lbs have set on next to softest and it rides great.

·
Premium Member
1994 GL1500SE Goldwing
976 Posts
How much do you weigh, and/or do you ride 2 up?

I am fat (350 lbs) and my bike came with the shortie 11" 412 (412-4204C).
On the highest setting, I was OK in how it rode, but 2 up with my 160 lb daughter, it was rough.
I was going to get some heavy duty 412's (11.5"), but came across a great deal on e-bay on some 430HD 11.5".
The 430's are better shocks for sure, and I was very happy with them. If you are a big guy, or ride 2 up with more than 400 lbs, look into the HD version of their shocks.
When alone, I set them on 3, with my daughter, I was at 4. Bike rode and handled much better.
Here is a post with pics of before and after.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies!
I'm also waiting for progressive to answer a mail to see if the 12" progressive 412-4229C will fit.
Yes, 50% of the time I ride 2 up but I'm like 145 lbs and also my passenger
Ebay shipping is 50+ usd and they won't ship to my location
Went out riding yesterday and today and clearance is still an important issue how they build streets here Plus I bottom out even during curves at moderate to hi speed

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,127 Posts
Maybe a member near the border could help with delivery thus saving more $$$'s. Just a thought as we have helped one another on the northern border in the past. Find your best deal and have it shipped to the US and make pick up arrangements accordingly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts