Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this bike running on both cyclinders after changing plugs, but it smokes black when you hit the throttle and while it is idleing the fumes will burn your eyes. This is with the air bos open and air filter removed . The new plugs are already black and sotty. The bike is a 2002 flx600 with 3100 miles on it. I sure could use some input here please.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am not familiar with this model, but no one else answered yet so maybe this will start some replies...
What else did you do?
It should run OK without the air filter, not great but shouldn't smoke!
Float levels OK?
Did it run before you changed plugs?
All hoses connected?
Spark plug boots on tight?
Spark plugs tight?
Float needles OK? If there is crud in the fuel system, needles won't seat, excess fuel will go into the engine
Did you do any carb work?
Sticking CV pistons so too much gas is getting in?
Jeez, I could probably figure it out if I was there.
Sorry and good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I just bought it used from someone. I only had it a couple days. It ran when I drove it home but it was only hitting on the front cyclinder. Changed plugs and it ran good. I drained the oil it had alot of fuel in it. I took off airfilter to see if it was dirty. It ran just as rich with it off .

·
Registered
423 Posts
vettester,
Sounds VERY rich! Is the choke on? I'd recommend pulling the carb off and checking to see if the choke(enrichment circuit) is functioning properly. The enrichment valve on the end of the choke cable can be adjusted. You'll want to check to see if the main jet has been changed. But first, I have to recommend your obtaining a shop manual for the bike, you're gonna need the information available in the manual to sort through this. I'd also be looking at the float level and float needle and seat - something caused your oil to be contaminated with fuel! I wonder if someone replaced the pilot jet with a main jet?

Brian

·
Registered
99 Posts
Blackened plugs caused by very rich mixture (check the choke and the main jet setting), higher temp range, or too late ignition. In this case the firs thing I would do is check the carburetor and rejet if needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.