Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to pull the carbs out of my bike. I have been following the clymer manual. I'm to the point were I have to loosen all the intake/manifold rubber hoses(the 4 big ones). I can't get those suckers off the carbs. It says gentley pull the carbs off the left side of the bike. There is no way you can be gentle. I have been pulling till I think my right nut has dropped! Please if somebody has pulled their carbs off an 86 or 87 VT700c could you give me your advice on what to do. I don't want to break anything. As parts for this bike are nearly impossible to get.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Man, you do have your problems with this bike , don't ya '87!

I feel your pain, the carbs can be a bear to get off/on. I've done it 3 times since I got the bike last spring, carb clean first, then adjustments a couple more times. Anyway, here's what I found that makes it much less of a hassle.

Remove gas tank, aircleaner box, fuel line, choke, throttle cables etc. Loosen and REMOVE the clamps on the upper boots (carbs-air plenum), remove the clamp screws and ease the clamps open trying not to bend them too much.

The smaller upper end of the boots will slide upward a little more without the clamps on. Then with the larger lower end of the boot, turn it inside-out. This is kinda difficult to do, and may tear an old boot, but it gives you a lot more room to get the carbs out. The boot on the left side (rear carb) seems, to me anyway, to be easier to turn inside out, can't seem to get the right (front) boot inside-out when removing, but remove the clamps anyway and push the boot up some.

When putting the carbs back in, turn the upper boots inside-out - easy when loose - and push far up onto the air plenum tubes. This gives plenty of room to wiggle, twist, turn etc. the carbs when re-installing. Pop the lower boots into place, and then turn the uppers right-side out and clamp everything.

I also found it easier to leave the lower boots on the carb for both removal and re-installing. First time taking them off, the left boot stayed on the cylinder head, and the right boot came off with the carb. So it was a boot trying to clear another boot (lower boots). Was a bit of a chore getting one boot out so the other could clear. So when removing or installing, I leave the lower boots clamped to the carb so they stay in place.

So, by the 3rd time I did this it was a lot easier, only about 45 min. removing, and about an hour re-installing. Still a pain, but sure beats brute force like the first time.

Good luck!!!

Gumpy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grumpy your awesome thanks! Long story behind this bike. My stepfather left it to his brother before he died, and well his brother had it for a year ran it into the ground then tried to sell it. So I had to buy it off him so it would stay in the family. I was really close to my stepfather, so for years I have been trying to bring it back to its former self. It was my stepfathers pride and joy. Sorry I told you guys all that info, but wanted to let you guys know that I appreicate all your help. I will try that out tomorrow and let you know how it went. Thanks again!

·
Registered
236 Posts
1987vt700,

When you get ready to re-install the rubber boots and the carbs, I suggest that you spray the rubber boots with silicone. It will make it easier to re-assemble, and silicone is good for rubber.

Jim
2001 Spirit 1100

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright thx to all the help I saved myself a hernia! I got the carbs out finally. I followed your advice grumpy and those suckers came right out. Now I just need to figure out what the hell a black hose in the middle of both carbs hooks to. It has a clamp on the carb to hold it in place, but I don't see anywhere that hose hooks to.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Now I just need to figure out what the hell a black hose in the middle of both carbs hooks to.
Don't wory about it, it's just the float bowl vent, the hose doesn't attach to anything.

Gumpy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.