Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a vt1100c3. Just bought it and it doesn't have full power. It tops out at around 55mph and after fires alot when revving or letting off gas.
Was told this was all new stuff
*Ignition packs
*Water pump
*Plug wires
*Plugs
*Tires
*Battery
*Carbs rebuilt and synched by shop

Now it will start right up and idle alright. But after going down the road your only able to get it up to about 55mph flooring it. It just has no power at all. Only thing I have noticed as that the battery will not charge. It will stay charged enough to keep lights on as in it won't ever fully die that I am aware of right now. But will not charge up on its own enough to turn the bike over more then a single stroke of the piston.
Any ideas? Thanks in advanced.

Attachments

· Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,131 Posts
Need to start by testing battery and charging system. Click on the fault finding link towards the bottom of this page.

You'll need some type of multimeter, you can usually find them for $10 in most box stores.

· Registered
3,155 Posts
Verify the model you're working on as that picture is not a VT1100C3, looks like an earlier 1100 Spirit... VIN plate/sticker on the neck should have year and model info.

Also, spend a bit more for a multimeter, the $10 ones are not all that accurate.

· Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
1,340 Posts
Howdy TheGuy8132!

I agree with oldguy that that is not a VT1100C3 model, but more likely VT1100C. The bobbed tail, wheels, rear drum brake and pipes are "C" model indicators to me.

Those exhausts look like the Cobra Slip-ons with stock VT1100C pipes and the OEM heat shields removed. I know Cobra recommends re-jetting the carbs for their slip-on exhausts. Otherwise you'll be running lean. Do you know if the baffles are in those exhausts?

If your shop rebuilt and synched the carbs, they did not do a very good job. There should not be any back-firing at all. Did they mention testing the air-cut valves? Back-firing on acceleration could be the accelerator diaphragms. Are the intake sleeves installed properly?

What does the air cleaner look like? Is it clean?

Are the connections good and tight on the battery? Are the connectors themselves clean?

Lot's of questions, but these are common issues...

· Registered
277 Posts
Need to start by testing battery and charging system. Click on the fault finding link towards the bottom of this page.

You'll need some type of multimeter, you can usually find them for $10 in most box stores.
Sounds like it sat .My thoughts are hinting bad voltage regulator as it sounds like it wont charge battery but as Ramie said do the test before throwing any parts at it. Any mice nest in the air cleaner? Fuel filter new ?

· Registered
3,155 Posts
I was going to mention check for mouse nest in the intake opening under the seat... forgot by the time I sat down, can't think in cold weather

· Registered
472 Posts
Welcome to the forum , Tell us more about you , your bike , where you ride ..., Get a good quality voltmeter , spend money wisely on a better than cheap meter ..., Go to Rocky mountain ATV / MC For good videos on bike repair . I would start with charging systems ...
Good luck ,....

· Registered
1983 vt750c in black 25k miles exported to the uk in 2000 non runner since 2009 now resurrected
32 Posts
Is there anything electrically that could halt him at 55 now he has done all the ht side?
I read about internals hanging up like the starter clutch, has his bike got a slipper clutch like the 750?
If the carb has been done, sparks are done that Is 2 of the Holy trinity of combustion, just need compression.
Is the timing only adjusted by pickup in the casing?
Wonder if there is 3 AC phases coming up to the rectifier then regulated out at 14v or so.

Luckily it sounds not that broke if it starts and runs.

How many turns out are the air fuel mixture screws (remember to count the turns in gently to the stop then back out same amount) ?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I have narrowed it down to the carburetors. It is running very rich. I played with the air fuel mixture and got it from 55 mph to about 70. Any ideas on other adjustments I could make?

· Registered
1983 vt750c in black 25k miles exported to the uk in 2000 non runner since 2009 now resurrected
32 Posts
So I have narrowed it down to the carburetors. It is running very rich. I played with the air fuel mixture and got it from 55 mph to about 70. Any ideas on other adjustments I could make?
If you put new a spark plug in each cylinder then do a pull upto your new 70mph then pull in the clutch and hit the kil switch and safely coast to a halt then pull the new plugs you will have a idea of the stoic rate (Fuel mixture) by the colour of the plugs.

Do a search for gunson colour tune, it's a transparent spark plug which allows you to see the colour of the burn in the cylinder

Also any small hole in the exhaust at the joins can cause back firing

· Registered
32 Posts
That screw might be a air mixture where screwing it out (anti clockwise) adds more air and leans it out or it could be adjusting the fuel so screwing out (anti clockwise) richens the mixture.

I'm super new to the shadow platform but I know carbs fairly well, I'm sure one of the shadow gurus will help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts